Fatherhood and Gaming: The Saga Continues

Svejk
Czech Yourself
Svejk
Czech Yourself

June 27th, 2017, 1:00 pm #1

Been wanting to start another one of these, as things have evolved a bit.  The past 3-4 years, the routine was the kids and I would wake up Saturday morning and fire up whatever Zelda they had me playing.  Ever since my son discovered LoZ, he’s become the #1 fan.  (He’s literally a walking Zelda thesaurus now)  So much so, over the past few years we’ve played through OoT, Twilight Princess (twice), Wind Waker (twice), and Skyward Sword (twice), and Breath of the Wild.  (We’re in the sporadic process of playing Minish Cap).

However, during the span of BotW, both my kids would start to get a little impatient and will want to try the game themselves… if not that, they will ask to play something else.  It then dawned upon me that, this time we’ve had together, is changing.  It feels so short lived of when they looked up to me and were my little cheering audience while I played…  I was their hero.  

Now, after finishing BotW, all they talk about is games that they want to play.  And by all means, who could blame them.  They’re at the age(s) in which they can grasp certain things about gaming now; puzzle solving, twitch reactions, reading dialogue/instructions, etc.  They technically don’t need me anymore to do such things… It really is a bittersweet feeling.

Now, my son is jumping between OoT and TP.  He managed to get past the first boss of OoT and made it out to Hyrule Field, which is relatively impressive for a 5 year old, IMO.  My daughter is enjoying Splatoon at the moment too.  Of course, I just got them Lego Worlds, so that’s the flavor of the week atm.  And pretty much anything 2 player co-op is a requirement now.  (The Lego games are perfect for this.)  They played a good bit of Hyrule Warriors too, but they’re near the end and it’s getting a bit too challenging …even for me.  

I don’t know.  I may be being a bit overly dramatic over the whole situation, but it’s hard to not realize just how fast these precious times fly by.  There maybe other games they’ll want me to play (like King’s Quest – we played the first 2 chapters, but they’re too much into other games now to continue), but who knows when, or if, that time will come again.  

On the other hand, I’m glad they can play games themselves now, however, there’s that other balance of encouraging them to do other things.  I don’t want them to be all VIDYUH GAMES IS LIFE like I was as a kid.  I don’t want their face glued to a screen. That being said, we set limited screen time with frequent breaks.  

Anyways, that’s my current Fatherhood gaming situation.  Just trying to savor ever waking minute I get to play with them.

manngc
He Da Mann
manngc
He Da Mann

June 27th, 2017, 3:09 pm #2

How old is the other one? Yeah, don't take the present for granted. Treasure it. Always.

Svejk
Czech Yourself
Svejk
Czech Yourself

June 27th, 2017, 3:18 pm #3

manngc wrote:How old is the other one? Yeah, don't take the present for granted. Treasure it. Always.
Daughter just turned 9 this month.

bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷
bork
おっぱいは命、尻は故郷

June 27th, 2017, 3:58 pm #4

9? Soon she'll be telling you how lame and uncool video games are! :hyper

Svejk
Czech Yourself
Svejk
Czech Yourself

June 27th, 2017, 4:30 pm #5

Dosukebe wrote:9? Soon she'll be telling you how lame and uncool video games are! :hyper
She's certainly not as gungho as I am about gaming.... which is good. My son on the other hand... that's all he talks about... It's ultimately my fault, but I'm trying to limit his intake and trying to redirect his interests to try different things. They both took a few fencing classes about a month ago.. They enjoyed it, but now they're ready to try something else... we're looking into different martial arts right now... My wife wants them to do something more along the lines of self defense, like Krav Maga, while I'm leaning more towards a more meditative form of MA... So, we're truing to meet n the middle... and what's readily available to us at a decent price of course.

Shino, you (specifically) and your kids have taken a form of MA for awhile now, right? Would you have a suggestion on what would help them with focusing? I'm feeling they need more the mental training over the physical.

manngc
He Da Mann
manngc
He Da Mann

June 27th, 2017, 4:46 pm #6

Since we have a pool at the house with have the kids in swim classes. :-)

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

June 27th, 2017, 5:15 pm #7

My kids watched me play a lot of Zelda... they loved it.
I picked up Mario Kart 8 and they love playing that... even if they aren't that good at it.

Right now... L (7) is still obsessed with Pokemon and E (4) is still learning. So she's not that good at Mario Kart and can't read to play Pokemon all that well without L's help.

But she's getting there. She's shown more of a desire to play other things. She tries to play Zelda and Mario on her 3DS.

Svejk
Czech Yourself
Svejk
Czech Yourself

December 3rd, 2017, 11:56 pm #8

My son is now full-on anything and everything Castlevania...  I'm not sure why exactly either.  I didn't play them for my kids or talk about them that much.. He played the NES ones on my phone a few times, and now he knows more about the series than I do practically! lol   He wanted to be a Belmont for Halloween, but we talked him into being Indy one more time (he already had the outfit).  But the thing is, neither one of my kids like the sight of blood; animated or not..  So, I tell them that's why I don't play them (the later ones.. even SotN).  It just goes to show that there's a certain magic with the roots of the series that's timeless in a way.  The simple but solid gameplay, atmosphere and music just really comes together and still enthralls the next generation 30 years and counting.
[+] spoiler
#FUCKONAMI

Shino
Up InDis
Shino
Up InDis

December 4th, 2017, 1:49 pm #9

Svejk wrote: My son is now full-on anything and everything Castlevania...  I'm not sure why exactly either.  I didn't play them for my kids or talk about them that much.. He played the NES ones on my phone a few times, and now he knows more about the series than I do practically! lol   He wanted to be a Belmont for Halloween, but we talked him into being Indy one more time (he already had the outfit).  But the thing is, neither one of my kids like the sight of blood; animated or not..  So, I tell them that's why I don't play them (the later ones.. even SotN).  It just goes to show that there's a certain magic with the roots of the series that's timeless in a way.  The simple but solid gameplay, atmosphere and music just really comes together and still enthralls the next generation 30 years and counting.
[+] spoiler
#FUCKONAMI
#ParentingDoneRight

I haven't gotten my kids into any game series yet.  My son is only into pokemon right now but loves watching me play other things like Destiny and Mario.
Hopefully he'll branch out soon.

Svejk
Czech Yourself
Svejk
Czech Yourself

December 4th, 2017, 2:28 pm #10

Shino wrote:
Svejk wrote: My son is now full-on anything and everything Castlevania...  I'm not sure why exactly either.  I didn't play them for my kids or talk about them that much.. He played the NES ones on my phone a few times, and now he knows more about the series than I do practically! lol   He wanted to be a Belmont for Halloween, but we talked him into being Indy one more time (he already had the outfit).  But the thing is, neither one of my kids like the sight of blood; animated or not..  So, I tell them that's why I don't play them (the later ones.. even SotN).  It just goes to show that there's a certain magic with the roots of the series that's timeless in a way.  The simple but solid gameplay, atmosphere and music just really comes together and still enthralls the next generation 30 years and counting.
[+] spoiler
#FUCKONAMI
#ParentingDoneRight

I haven't gotten my kids into any game series yet.  My son is only into pokemon right now but loves watching me play other things like Destiny and Mario.
Hopefully he'll branch out soon.
I think it's great that he's into the actual cards as opposed to the vidyah games. Both my kids enjoy playing VG, but my son is starting to show signs of obsessiveness, which concerns me a bit. We limit them to only 1-3 times a week. (Some Saturdays, we'll have few hours of consecutive play) I've had several Dad to son talks with him to remind him that games are just games, nothing more... they come last AFTER the important things are done. Health/Family time > Career/job/work > time for yourself. I just don't want him to be like me in that aspect. I let it consume me even as a kid, because my parents didn't really monitor me or anything... it interfered with my schooling horribly. Not sure how I passed everything, tbh.

Anyway, yeah... He knows who Iga is now and knows most the Castlevania characters by name and so forth. Like the Zelda games, he refers to the games by number, according to releases. He talks and talks and talks and talks about Castlevania to everyone. My daughter doesn't care much and my wife knows very little about games, other than what he's filled her in on. lol