early 74 black lion

June 16th, 2018, 8:17 pm #1

hey up lads we used to go in the black lion  me phil woollin sean frère from tingley  I am trying to find out what happened to geof Thorpe  mick and bri mee from morley  south from south elmsall  and anyone else that we knew from those days we used to get on the harehills bus  and shaggers van used to follow  one trip we went to burnley  after match on to blackpool  I remember Cardiff were in town and it was a right set to if anyone was there and can remember what happened to a cardif fan under the tower he had a bit of a fall out with a big plate glass window  we were escourted out by the law I think vallo was on the bus  if anyone can remember those days get in touch

June 21st, 2018, 6:36 am #2

Aye up!

Had some fun in Shagger's van back in the day. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. Some of the 'Arrogate lads still go, but it's not like the old days as you know. Buddy, Mart, Quinnie, Webby, Dougie and Gord still live in Hgate, Rocky and his brother Pebble are back in Liverpool. Mcall moved back to Ireland, while not much has been seen of Lischk - he was last spotted in Belgium years ago. Everybody takes the piss out of Hgate, but I reckon a few on this site will remember them and have a bit of respect. Paris, Man U away late seventies/early eighties and the semi-final against Wolves in 73 stand out. Those WERE the days!

June 22nd, 2018, 4:27 am #3

Kicker wrote: Aye up!

Had some fun in Shagger's van back in the day. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago. Some of the 'Arrogate lads still go, but it's not like the old days as you know. Buddy, Mart, Quinnie, Webby, Dougie and Gord still live in Hgate, Rocky and his brother Pebble are back in Liverpool. Mcall moved back to Ireland, while not much has been seen of Lischk - he was last spotted in Belgium years ago. Everybody takes the piss out of Hgate, but I reckon a few on this site will remember them and have a bit of respect. Paris, Man U away late seventies/early eighties and the semi-final against Wolves in 73 stand out. Those WERE the days!
nice to hear from you kicker sorry to hear about shagger   not many of us early lads on hear  I once went to knarsebourgh with a few Harrogate lads went after match had a riot slept in a barn that night  do any of your mates remember going to the old black lion  what a boozer that was real beer and sawdust rough as a bears arse but was the local for the first  sc lads  the hg lads were a good crew and I can remember would stand with you respect to them  nice to hear from you fella 

June 22nd, 2018, 9:52 am #4

The Black Lion still gets a mention every now and again. I remember the Stranglers gig in 77 after the Liverpool game [lost 0-3]. Leeds fans were especially evil that night, taking it out on the punks milling around waiting to go into the Queens Hall for the gig.  It was a rough pub even for Leeds fans, remember getting grilled in there cos they hadn't seen me before. The Whip was rough as a bears arse too!!!

June 22nd, 2018, 7:49 pm #5

saw the stranglers at the ford green  think it was 73 before they got famous brill group brill night  for the young uns the black lion was on mill hill opposite the amusemants  nr price of wales and scarbourgh taps changed in the eightys to q bar  later to spencers