Dragon Ball Thread

Salamanca
Jounin

August 14th, 2011, 7:30 am #1

So has anyone been following the mini series of Dragonball? from SD that summarizes all major arcs, Chapter one is about Goku and Kiri training together, Chapter two is about the Freeza arc and the latest one is about Cell. I really enjoy it, it's a great throwback from watching the anime as a little kid.

As for Dragonball- Episode of Bardock (chapter 1 and 2 has been released out of 3)
[+] My review
I really like this alternate world, where Bardock survives the Freeza attack and he is sent back in time where planet Vegeta was once called Planet Plant, We see him being helped by the Native people from that planet and we get to meet the villain of this story. A mini freeza look-a-like named Chilled, which makes me think he could be Freeza's Grandfather or predecessor, Very interested on how this mini arc will end in the 3rd chapter. My prediction is that Bardock drives Chilled off the planet and Bardock becomes the first Saiyan ever and possibly the first super saiyan. Which ultimately becomes the reason why Freeza becomes threaten by the saiyans and destroys them.

vectorsigma
Jounin

August 15th, 2011, 6:16 pm #2

is this manga or anime? im confused

Salamanca
Jounin

August 15th, 2011, 6:32 pm #3

It's Manga. the SD series is once a month i think the Bardock series is 3 chapters one shot type of thing.

August 16th, 2011, 4:09 am #4

I didn't even know of the existence of Dragon Ball - Episode of Bardock or Dragon Ball SD until quite recently.

When it comes to SD I have only read Dragon Ball SD 3, which is the latest one about the Cell Saga. One thing that I liked about this was how it was all in color. I thought that was nice. Another thing I liked was how it brought back memories to when I used to watch the series.

Something that I didn't like about this though was how the actual story was told. What I mean is the major differences between what happens in this SD manga and what happened in the actual storyline. For example: Gohan fighting Cell first during the Cell Game, Gohan instantly going Super Saiya-jin 2 in the fight and Cell coughing up both Android 18 and Android 17 when Gohan punches him in the stomach. It makes me wonder if the other two chapters are like this.

I have read both chapters of Dragon Ball - Episode of Bardock. I like the focus on Bardock since he's a more serious character compared to Goku. This story definitely gives off a Freeza Saga feel with Chilled and his henchmen picking on the inhabitants of Planet Plant. The character Berry also sort of reminds me of Dende for some reason. I happen to agree with your prediction Salamanca. In the end if that turns out to be the case I would find it to be very ironic.
Last edited by Mangekyou Sharingan on August 16th, 2011, 7:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dragonblade
Jounin

August 18th, 2011, 5:13 am #5

Yeah I've read both chapters also and even though Bardock is suppose to be mean like a typical Sayian it's still weird to see someone who looks like Goku act so differently. Regardless, I think it's still pretty cool that we are following someone else and I think it's been pretty good so far. I think you prediction Salamanca actually might happen because that sounds pretty plausible.

Also in regards to the Cell one it was pretty nice to see that last fight turn out a little differently.

Ryuuske Minami
Chuunin

September 5th, 2011, 11:51 pm #6

Good prediction Salamanca. #rd bar dock chapter is out and you were right about the 1st super saiyan thing.

Time travel arcs always confuse me since my thinking drives me in a perpetual loop. Anyway, the mini series is okay enough.

September 10th, 2011, 9:36 pm #7

Episode of Bardock 3:

Indeed a nice job on the prediction! Bardock's transformation into a Super Saiya-jin was by far my favorite part of the chapter. In my opinion his feelings and rage at the time definitely fit the requirements for such a transformation.

Chilled trying to blow Planet Plant up after feeling overwhelmed by Bardock made me think back to Freeza trying to do the same thing against Goku. In this case I am glad that Bardock was able to prevent the blast from making contact with the planet. I didn't want to see a repeat of "Five minutes until Planet Namek blows up!"

The scene with Chilled being recovered by his henchmen also made me think of Freeza's father doing the same to him after his defeat, granted Freeza was in far worse shape. I was surprised that Chilled ended up dying but in the end his message still got passed on and it definitely explains Freeza's fear of the legendary Super Saiya-jin. Overall this mini series was an enjoyable read.
Last edited by Mangekyou Sharingan on September 10th, 2011, 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vectorsigma
Jounin

November 22nd, 2011, 11:53 am #8

this is going to be animated:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... gets-anime

it's good to see a NEW DB anime in this time of the internet

December 3rd, 2011, 6:51 pm #9

Didn't notice this before.

Hmm. Interesting.

It was a nice though small story, which makes me think it'll be an OVA.
Last edited by Twilight_Ninja on December 3rd, 2011, 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

December 27th, 2011, 4:49 am #10

Dragon Ball SD 4:

Like after reading Dragon Ball SD 3 I once again found myself enjoying the colorful images and the fond memories of one of the first anime series I followed. With that said I was a bit disappointed after reading this installment. First off I didn't like how they jumped right from Fat Buu to the small child sized Buu. Although with the limited amount of panels I can understand why they did this.

Speaking of limited amount of panels this brings me to the amount of time dedicated to Mr Satan. In my opinion there was too much focus on him. I know that he played a role in this particular saga but I feel like too many panels were wasted on him. I mean important things like fusion and Super Saiya-jin Three were not even included. Instead we see Mr Satan acting like a fool. Then there is the fact that there was no sign of a teenage version of Gohan. The only time we see him is in one of the first panels and that's how he looked back during the Cell Saga, not the Majin Buu Saga.

Dragon Ball SD 5:

Wow, I didn't know this would be covering Dragon Ball as well. This is great because I have only seen the original Dragon Ball a few times. That isn't much compared to the number of times I have seen Dragon Ball Z. Besides the fact that this is in color I also enjoyed the Vegeta cameo when Bulma made mention of wishing for a prince charming. Though with that said I wonder if he should have been drawn a little younger considering this takes place in Dragon Ball's timeline. I thought the other Dragon Ball Z reference was another positive. I speak of the scene they showed from the Majin Buu Saga while Bulma and Roushi made mention of Goku being a pervert once he gets older.
Last edited by Mangekyou Sharingan on January 1st, 2012, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.