time during that almost sleeping yet still awake stage

time during that almost sleeping yet still awake stage

January 6th, 2002, 10:53 pm #1

This isnt really a good discussion starter i dont think but i just wanted to know if this happens to others. Alright, Like in the morning for instance when you wake up, and you press the snooze button for another 5 minues of sleep....you go back to bed but arent fully sleeping all the way, and the 5 minutes feel like an hour usually. How come our mind interprets those 5 minues as so long? Do you guys know what i mean? Let me also explain another common example. Like when your very drowsy on a train, and you doze off sort of and are woken by the train stopping...you think your at the place that takes an hour tog et to, but in reality your only two towns over or something ridiculous that is only 5 minutes away. So if anyone can relate or maybe explain why time is messed up in that exausted state then thanks in advance 8-)

LuciDreameR_7
LuciDreameR_7

January 7th, 2002, 12:04 am #2

hey, thats interesting, yeah it has happened to me but I have no idea why that is.. yeah yeah..I know I wasnt of any help..

Vi ses senare.. bye

Stuffness
Stuffness

January 7th, 2002, 12:10 am #3

This isnt really a good discussion starter i dont think but i just wanted to know if this happens to others. Alright, Like in the morning for instance when you wake up, and you press the snooze button for another 5 minues of sleep....you go back to bed but arent fully sleeping all the way, and the 5 minutes feel like an hour usually. How come our mind interprets those 5 minues as so long? Do you guys know what i mean? Let me also explain another common example. Like when your very drowsy on a train, and you doze off sort of and are woken by the train stopping...you think your at the place that takes an hour tog et to, but in reality your only two towns over or something ridiculous that is only 5 minutes away. So if anyone can relate or maybe explain why time is messed up in that exausted state then thanks in advance 8-)
Yes I know what you mean. After I wake up, I want to sleep a little more, and it seems like an eternity. I look up, and only 2 minutes went by!

I tried to explain this in chat, and I'm too lazy to type a lot now.

Mark Robert
Mark Robert

January 7th, 2002, 2:48 am #4

Probably our perception of time has to do with whether we are mentally distracted or not. What I mean is, that time has a tendency to "slip by" when our conscious mind is preoccupied by some person, place or event. At that point, we become oblivious to the passage of time making it seem to pass much quicker. Because sleep has a direct effect on one's conscious perception, it is a phenomenon wherein we typically experience the most frequent perceptual distortions of time. Interestingly enough, sleep can have two entirely different effects on one's sense of time. Deep sleep has a tendency to shorten one's perception of time, making hours pass by without notice. However, light, fitful sleep usually makes a mere hour feel like several. Of course, the comatose state can make years pass by in what seem like mere moments. In that instance, the conscious mind has been completely subdued thereby making the passage of time seem instanteous.

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 7th, 2002, 8:21 am #5