Credit ratings

Discussions about funding, facilities, whatever else that isn't specific to a particular sport.

June 16th, 2018, 4:15 pm #61

edmc2416 wrote: What is LC's Debt rating?  
AA3 I believe.  A- s and p

June 28th, 2018, 12:31 am #62

Swarthmore keeps its AAA from S&P. The school has about $250 million in debt, plans a net gain of about $90 million more after a new issue, and has an endowment of just under $2 billion.
The new debt includes money for buildings and renovations.
The endowment supports about 39 percent of operating expenses. That’s high but they have the balance sheet to do it.

June 29th, 2018, 12:01 am #63

What's the interest in credit rating on a sport centric board?

June 29th, 2018, 1:25 am #64

A college’s activities are dictated by its wealth and ability to borrow. All of its activities.
The ratings reports also sometimes include interesting information and hints of future actions by the schools.
Ratings are indeed flawed — I too remember Enron’s Raptors — but colleges have fewer moving parts than large for-profit corporations and the schools’ moves tend to be incremental.
Sometimes the links are more direct. Lousiville’s rating drew extra scrutiny after the Pitino debacles, and even Penn State’s reports took note and perhaps made an outlook change after the Jerry Sandusky disaster.  
I realize the category is a bit odd, but then this is a Lafayette board, and the thread has drawn interest.
“Whatever else!” as the discussion is called.