WHERE ARE WE MOVING?Jcink is where we'll be moving too. In terms of what it will change? Nothing major. To write and post it is exactly the same as Invisionfree, same tags to align/bold/colour text.
What is jcink and what's it like?
What is jcink and what's it like?
It will be the same layout in terms of posting, starting new threads, etc. I'm sure many of you have already been or at least seen a Jcink forum. In which case you will know what it is like. I promise though that you'll very easily adjust with little to no discomfort in terms of getting used to the new host.
WHY MOVE THEN?I put together a Pro/Con list of moving.
There are quite a few pros in terms of adminning the game. It'll come with a lot better and more organised ACP for me and the staff to work with, but I won't get into that because it's boring and won't affect things for you. Instead:
- SKINS: Jcink allows for the addition of more than one skin. That will mean that we can pick skins to our tastes, colourful ones for those who have mentioned to me they'd like more colour on the forum, and layouts like this one as well. It also comes with a 'preview' button so you can try skins it out before you decide on one, see how the forums looks etc.
- SUB ACCOUNTS: We can use subaccounts so we can link all our accounts together and switch over easily. Staff can use names to do adminy things which was a suggestion we've been given more than once. For members, I'm using my own example from another game, I'll get two screen shots for this:
Firstly when you are logged in (with whatever account, for this example it's my main account 'inkquillz' also known as a parent account.
What you do is click on the 'switch account' option and you'll get a drop down with the rest of the accounts linked to your main (or 'parent') account. Like so:
And you'll click on whichever account you desire to move to. There you are, switched accounts without username or passwords.
I will explain how to make subaccounts if/when we move.
BTW for anyone lost... The accounts were for a Doctor Who/Sherlock crossover. I do appologise for the geekiness. I will not appologise for my crush on Benedict Cumberbatch......
For a KTMS example I'll use the lovely Tracey who I can see down there in the cbox most recently. She also has more than one account which makes this easier.
Tracey for my example has picked Gaius as her Parent account. Her drop down will look like:
Gaius Corwin (P)
The (P) stands for Parent. If she is signed in as Kilgarrah, the drop down will show Gaius with the (P) beside his name to remind her which is her main account.
I will also note, because I know at least Char was worried about this. Each account is entirely seperate. Gaius, Edward and Kilgarrah will all have their own signatures, member group badges and colours and PMs and posts etc. They only thing it will do is make it easier to jump from one account to the other.
- MOBILE VIEWING: Jcink comes complete with a mobile version. Unlike Proboards, you don't have to pay for it. I use it on another forum, it is great. Only thing is it doesn't show the cbox.
- LESS ISSUES: Less downtime than Invisionfree. The owners of Jcink are more active in updating and fixing errors on the host, meaning less issues for us in the longrun.
- NEATER FORUMS: Sub-sub boards. We could completely redo the layout of the site to make it easier to navigate and neater to play on. KtMS is over three years old and is fairly set in its ways. It's like a little old lady, when I try to update, I simple rejiggle things around rather than making changes for the best.
- SHOUTBOX: It has it's on shoutbox installed on the site. More options than the regular chatbox, colours, icons, etc. So we could use it as an IC cbox that comes ready made with being on the site. It's like a chatroom basically.
- NEW START: KtMS has lost a lot of it's original members, as such there I think it's a little hard to move on for characters who are used to those characters. For example, sorry to name names, I was speaking to Jamie who plays Alec Clare about what he'd do with Simon now that the player had left. I feel as though a new start and a new board will allow us to pick up parts of the game whilst starting on a clean slate. (On a much better host.)
- PROFILE: There are two options for profile viewing on Jcink. One version will allow us to share comments on each other's page and 'friend' each other. For anyone on RPG'D, you can see how people are able to add friends. It's not a major thing, but I think it looks quite cool all the same. Not a feature needed at all and won't affect the game but it's more of a community thing.
- We'd lose a little site History. BUT I will keep this site open as an archive for easy viewing of old threads/characters.
- A few of you already voted no last time this was discussed... The majority who voted no are no longer with us however. BUT at that time, I was simply expressing my growing annoying with Invisionfree and wasn't sure yet where we'd move to. I know a lot of you were against Zetaboards and Proboards. Jcink is honestly like a combination of all those forums, with all the good things and not as many of the issues most of you have commented on. I have already explored their layout options and transferred our current skin to a Jcink forum. There is only a small difference.
- Extra work on my part. BUT in my opinion, the benefits are worth the extra work. All you guys would have to do is re-register your accounts and c/p your applications.
WHEN WOULD WE MOVE?If we move, it won't be until we've completed the Dragon thread and jumped the game. If you remember, we discussed progressing the game two years. The two year jump would begin us on the new site.
I would keep this version of the game open to read through and explore. It would allow me to learn from my mistakes... I set this game up over 3 years ago now and I did it on a forum I was familiar with, rather than exploring my options. I have honestly felt Jcink was the better option for a long time now and I've been contemplating a move for that length of time. However, joining a forum set on Jcink (See about DW/Sherlock awesomeness for example), has helped me realise there is a lot to gain from the move.
QUESTIONSIf you have any questions, debates, arguments, whatever... Please feel free to post below. Or send me a PM if you want to privately discuss it. My personal feelings on moving, I should think are pretty clear. The only 'work' would be reregistering, there will be no change in how you write and it will allow us all to start fresh and enjoy new benefits such as the multi-skin tool.
Please consider the move. Among the things mentioned, from an Admin's pov it will come with a great deal of benefits for me to making running the game easier.
If you vote NO, please post below with your reasons/concerns for not wanting to. It may be something you don't understand or I haven't explained well that will allow us to further explain or fix the issue.
If you vote YES, you aren't required to post, but please do feel free.
The poll will close: around June 8th. It'll give us a few weeks to gauge an answer/discuss/debate, whatever. ;)