Lily Culnor
Advanced Member
Lily Culnor
Advanced Member

Jun 27 2012, 11:06 AM #16

Ruari's question almost made her giggle, "Of course not! Usually the only women who are out at night are either 'women of the night' or lovers sneaking out to meet their men, besides the streets at night can be a dangerous place for lone women, we aren't trained in sword play like you men and neither are we as strong so with what would we defend ourselves?" Sometimes being a woman really sucked.

At Ruari's bemusement Lily couldn't help laughing playfully, "Yes I do" she shook her head still smiling, "Honestly Ruari I really would like to go to the woods, it might sound strange to you but I'm more comfortable out there in the open. The wilderness I understand. You see my brother and I we always used to play in the woods by our farm, and when ever there was trouble that's where we'd hide. Badgers and foxes I can deal with, I even helped see off a wolf once but the stories of killers and thieves you hear about roaming the streets I fear far more"

However, it wasn't all about Lily there were two of them afterall, perhaps Ruari would prefer the comforts of a nicely lit Inn with a beer to nurse his troubles. "But we could always go to the Inn if you prefer? I don't mind" smiling at him brightly Lily hadn't even realised that her hand had slipped down Ruari's arm to his hand, "just as long as we don't stay here" Butterflies seemed to had taken up residence in her stomach and although she didn't fully understand her feelings Lily was glad of them.

But a voice from the shadows sent her plummeting back down to earth. "How sweet" the man spat "out for a midnight stroll eh? Well you two just give me all the coins on yer and ye can be on yer way"

Lily simply stared at him in wide eyed horror, "I don't have any coins" and it was true, her's were all safe back in her room at the Rising Sun, she took in the strangers appearance, he was dirty and looked as rough as hell but he was well built.

"Now, now Lassy don't make this harder than it has to be, don't want anyone to get hurt now do we? But I suppose if you don't have coin you could always pay in other ways" he leered.

Recoiling in disgust Lily pressed even closer to Ruari, what should she do? It was tempting to run but she couldn't leave her friend, and as for fighting ... if it came to that maybe she could poke his eyes in, eurgh even the thought made her shudder she just wasn't good with blood. On the positive side at least she hadn't been imagining things there had definately been something unpleasant there.

Glancing at Ruari Lily whispered, "I told you it wasn't a rat" although right now she would have given anything for the stranger before them to have been one of the numerous little vermin.

Ruarí Ó Lochlainn
Advanced Member
Ruarí Ó Lochlainn
Advanced Member

Jun 28 2012, 05:26 PM #17

Something stirred in Ruarí’s chest when she laughed. It was an odd feeling, but still a good one.

“Not all men are trained in sword play. Not men like me anyways.” Having grown up with no father, and living on the streets, he’d had no formal education in any areas. Aside from what his mother had taught him before she’d left, Ruarí had had to learn things on his own, and swordplay wasn’t exactly something one could casually teach themselves – especially when they didn't have a sword.

“You don’t always need to be able to fight back, sometimes it’s best just to run, and that’s something anyone can do.” Running was always Ruarí’s go to decision when faced with danger. Yes, he could fight quite well hand-to-hand, and he carried a dagger with him, but still, running usually seemed like the best option.

He couldn’t explain it fully, but the fact that Lily seemed fond of the forest and that she had experience in the wilds, it made her all the more attractive to him.

With her hand in his, it was more difficult for him to focus on her words. The warmth that passed between them was wonderful feeling – one that he’d rarely experience before.

Yet, at the sound of another voice, his mind – sharp with survival instinct – instantly focused in on the approaching man and forgot all else. Eyeing Lily as she addressed the stranger, he was already formulating a plan in his mind.

Turning close to her, bringing his lips mere inches away from her ear, he whispered “Go to the woods. Keep running, and don’t look back. I’ll come find you.” Squeezing her hand tightly for a moment, he met her eyes “I promise.”

Letting go of Lily’s hand he hoped that she would heed his instructions and flee. He planned on doing the same, but first he had to give her a head start and that required him providing a distraction. He couldn’t explain why he was protecting her, but it simply felt like the right thing to do. So much so, that he didn’t even question it.

As he approached the thief he noticed that the man didn’t appear to have any weapon – at least, not any particularly large and obvious ones. Before getting too close to the man, Ruarí squatted down briefly and scraped up a handful of dirt. Having no qualms with fighting dirty, he tossed the dirt into his opponent’s face. Making the most of the brief distraction, Ruarí swung his foot out and under the feet of the other, causing him to lose his balance and fall to the ground. What ensued was a fierce brawl. Punches were thrown from both parties and yet neither seemed to be giving in.

Standing, face-to-face, Ruarí was about to throw another punch, when the man reached behind him and pulled out a dagger. Though Ruarí did have his own blade, he did not like the idea of engaging in that sort of fight. The risks were simply too great. Thus, deciding he’d given Lily a long enough head start, he broke off into a quick sprint.

He didn’t know if the man had chosen to follow him – though he did here some sort of profanity shouted out behind him. Focused, adrenaline pumping, he just kept running. He hadn’t seen Lily when he started to run and he hoped that meant she’d gone to the woods like he’d told her. That’s where he would go too – though not immediately. If he was being pursued it would be no use to lead the man right to their hiding place. He’d have to make a few detours first, but eventually, he would get to the wilds. He would find her. He would keep his promise.

Lily Culnor
Advanced Member
Lily Culnor
Advanced Member

Jun 28 2012, 11:10 PM #18

OOC - The topic continues at: Running Scared Enjoy :)