World Cup 2018-Russia

Katatonia
God of War

June 12th, 2018, 4:59 pm #1

World Cup begins on Thursday, June 14 in Russia.

Teams:
Argentina
Australia
Belgium
Brazil
Columbia
Costa Rica
Croatia
Denmark
Egypt
England
France
Germany
Iceland
Iran
Japan
Korea Republic
Mexico
Morocco
Nigeria
Panama
Peru
Poland
Portugal
Russia
Saudi Arabia
Senegal
Serbia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Tunisia
Uruguay

Group A starts Thursday with Russia vs Saudi Arabia to kick off. Friday follows up with Egypt vs Uruguay(Group A), Morocco vs Iran and Portugal vs Spain for Group B

Happy discussion! And please, keep it clean. Both my teams; USA and Greece are out, so I don't have a bias who wins, but I'm not so secretly rooting for Iceland for underdog's sake ;)

Shogun
Han's Unifier
Shogun
Han's Unifier

June 12th, 2018, 6:18 pm #2

Egypt all the way. Uruguay is the obvious favorite in that group but I'm keeping my hopes up.

Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay

Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran

Group D: Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria

Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia

Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea

Group G: Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England

Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Anybody else excited for Will Smith's new joint? :P

June 13th, 2018, 12:22 am #3

Answering MeowMeow's comment on the other topic, man, I understand you putting Argentina as the fourth best team, but maybe you should tell this to that Argentinian narrator who criticized Sampaoli some months ago.

Thanks, LDW, for the avatar and the sig.

MeowMeow
Emperor's Retainer
MeowMeow
Emperor's Retainer

June 13th, 2018, 3:48 am #4

Johnny Redemption wrote:Answering MeowMeow's comment on the other topic, man, I understand you putting Argentina as the fourth best team, but maybe you should tell this to that Argentinian narrator who criticized Sampaoli some months ago.
I crapped that out my ass in 10 minutes you don't have to take it so seriously :XD

@ Shogun: I adore Salah,so I hope Egypt goes on a run too. I think Uruguay will be very tough because they are experienced and have a rough, "pragmatic" attitude.

Russia's probably going out in the group stage in their backyard :XD After all the love from Russia about Ovechkin winning the Stanley Cup (and I agree, Ovechkin is a great hockey player and a great guy, but this isn't hockey), Ovechkin by himself has more determination, guts, and PASSION than the entire Russian football team as it stands right now.

My group predictions (l-r 1st to 4th)

Group A: Uruguay, Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia: Suarez and Cavini have enough big game experience to win the group. Salah will be enough for Egypt to advance. Russia has no mojo as of right now.

Group B: Spain, Portugal, Iran, Morocco: Spain is still very solid overall. Portugal depend a bit too much on Cris Ronny but Ronny and a few other gems always give them a shot. Iran will defend with determination and discipline but it won't be enough.

Group C: France, Denmark, Peru, Australia: French star power will top the group. Denmark should do alright with a mixture of Erikssen's attacking play and solid defence. Peru is a relative unknown. Australia won't have enough strength in depth to get out of the group.

Group D: Argentina, Nigeria, Iceland, Croatia: Argentina are not that well organized but their attacking power will win the group. Nigeria will sneak through with some decent speed and counterattacks. Iceland and Croatia will fight hard but it won't be enough IMO. Though stay tuned, this is one where the #2 spot is wide open.

Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, , Serbia, Costa Rica: Brazil's firepower and determination to avenge 2014 will win the group. I think Switzerland will come through as #2 due to organization and a few decent midfielders. Los Ticos will find it hard to replicate 2014. Serbia don't have enough firepower to contend with Brazil or the Swiss.

Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea: Germany wins all their games. Mexico comes second due to their talent. Sweden is third due to defensive discipline and not much else. SK is in a rebuild phase, Son Heung-min notwithstanding. This is not the 2002 vintage (referees beside, but the 2002 SK overachieved regardless)

Group G: Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama: Belgium has the footballers to play beautiful football. They will struggle in later rounds but should top the group. England is not 1966 vintage but the fact that Kane-Alli play at Spurs together and Southgate has decent results mean they at least get through the group stage unlike 2014. Tunisia and Panama may give the top two some trouble but ultimately Belgium and England's star power will be enough to advance

Group H: Poland, Colombia, Senegal, Japan: The most wide open group, but I think Poland has the most big game experience and will top the group. Columbia has the second most experience and should squeak through in the end. Senegal will play with some good teamwork but I don't think they have enough big game experience (but cue 2002...). Japan will play some nice fast passing football but it won't be enough. Also, they changed their coach just recently.
Thanks to Rosaceae for this wonderful sig!

June 13th, 2018, 3:29 pm #5

MeowMeow wrote:
Johnny Redemption wrote:Answering MeowMeow's comment on the other topic, man, I understand you putting Argentina as the fourth best team, but maybe you should tell this to that Argentinian narrator who criticized Sampaoli some months ago.
I crapped that out my ass in 10 minutes you don't have to take it so seriously :XD
I didn't, man, I just forgot to post the :XD emoji in the end of my comment :XD

Were I Argentinian, though, I'd have taken it very seriously, though. :XD

MeowMeow
Emperor's Retainer
MeowMeow
Emperor's Retainer

June 14th, 2018, 2:49 am #6

Spain fired their manager :OMG: because he took the RM job and the Spanish national team head wasn't happy about not being in the loop about negotiations :XD

They are still experienced and strong in depth, but boy they made things hard for themselves :XD

Nobunaga -1194
Commander

June 14th, 2018, 5:01 pm #7

5-0 for Russia ouch !! I don't watch soccer very much ,but I never thought Saudi Arabia are this bad !! This is embarrassing :facepalm: .

June 14th, 2018, 8:04 pm #8

Nobunaga -1194 wrote:5-0 for Russia ouch !! I don't watch soccer very much ,but I never thought Saudi Arabia are this bad !! This is embarrassing :facepalm: .
Maybe Saudi Arabia's 1994 team would have stood a better chance, because 2018's national squad hasn't.

MeowMeow
Emperor's Retainer
MeowMeow
Emperor's Retainer

June 15th, 2018, 2:46 am #9

Saudi gave away the ball in the middle FAR too easily, and on the second goal... how could the defender get outhustled by the Russian forward like that, far too easy...

Saudi's gameplan wasn't bad. I could see glimpses of it when they went on the attack, they do have some speed. Russia though, they just pressured them all over the park, and Saudi gave the ball away far too often. FAR too often. Russia would then just run down the wing and set up a scoring chance or a corner.

Having seen the entire first half (went to bed at halftime as I was pretty sure Russia was going to win at 2-0, though not 5-0! :XD ), the 5-0 scoreline was no fluke. However you dice it, Russia just flat out outplayed Saudi by using pressure all over the park.

Too bad for Dragoev though, he hurt himself on a routine run without contact and that sucks. His sub then went out and scored twice, so I think Dragoev's WC is over. Man, that sucks for him.
Johnny Redemption wrote:
Nobunaga -1194 wrote:5-0 for Russia ouch !! I don't watch soccer very much ,but I never thought Saudi Arabia are this bad !! This is embarrassing :facepalm: .
Maybe Saudi Arabia's 1994 team would have stood a better chance, because 2018's national squad hasn't.
They wouldn't have stood a chance against that Salenko dude who scored 5 by himself vs Cameroon! :XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYtuo1bMrvw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8w89sl7Grc

Saudi need Al-Owarain back :XD That was a great goal
1994 was all about Stoichkov, Baggio and Romario :XD It was the first world cup I remember as a kid :XD :hehe:
Oh, and the Columbian guy who got killed for the own goal :sad:

Aryamehr
Emperor's Retainer
Aryamehr
Emperor's Retainer

June 15th, 2018, 5:03 pm #10

Jesus, that was close :lol:
[+] Spoiler
:heart: Amazing sig made by Bellflower :heart:
:heart: Family :heart:
Thanks to Nida for making this awesome thumbnail!