DW7: Conquest Mode

Shadowclaimer
Tiger General

February 24th, 2011, 1:50 am #1

As seen on http://inspchin.wordpress.com/2011/02/2 ... -analysis/! (=D)

What is Conquest Mode?

Known in the community as Conquest Mode, Chronicle Mode, or Free Mode+, Conquest Mode is the replacement for Free Mode from previous games. It combines minor aspects of old Xtreme Modes, Legend Modes, and Empire Modes into a giant gridded map where you can select and play over 215 different missions. It also implements a variety of RPG elements into the game and will probably be the primary timesink in DW7.

How does Conquest Mode Work?

Conquest Mode when opened is a giant map of china covered in blacked out or gold/silver hexadecimal shapes. Each of these shapes is called an "episode" or for the sake of simplicity a "hex". Each hex is a battle scene or a city.

When you select a hex you choose which character to enter it as, certain hexes have special restrictions on which character you can use for it (for special What-If and Special Weapon missions covered later) and some hexes have special requirements to unlock.

As you finish each hex (which will turn it gold) you'll unlock all hexes touching it for access (turning them Silver). Some players may decide to unlock as many hexes as fast as possible (thus taking a zig-zag route with as much exposure as possible) or some may choose to slowly make their way down the map. The choice is yours!

(Note: Unlocking Hexes on the Conquest Map is global, not on a per-character basis, so once you have access to a Hex on one character, you can play it with any character [unless it has character restrictions])

So you want to visit the City!

Cities
You'll begin your exploits in a city most likely, every "province" has at least one (at least 14 are seen on the map in some screenshots). Within each city are a variety of facilities that you can access.

Blacksmiths are places where you can pay a fee to have your seal gauge be filled based on your performance in recent battles.

Weapon Dealers are places where new weapons can be created, as you gain control of more cities you also gain the ability to create more weapons.

Tea Houses are places where you can select and manage your guardian animals and allies. Here you can select who will aid you in battle at the next fight (be it guardian animal as a mount or ally, or officers as allies).

Merchants are rare NPCs who sell the services of Officers to assist the player in battle. You can also purchase weapons or animals here.

Scholars are rare NPCs who will give you a quiz over Three Kingdoms trivia and if you answer four out of five correctly will reward you with gold or items.

So you want to battle?

In Conquest Mode jumping into battle is as simple as selecting a hex, then a character, and jumping right in. When selecting a hex you can view the information right on the hud, such as conditions (no pets, no allies), reward (in gold or weapons), and the scenario's difficulty rating.

Know your battle!

The hex's icon determines what kind of battle it is or what kind of reward it will have for the character. Battle hexes come in a large variety.

City Gate
These battles are stages that unlock the nearest city for access.

Status Hex
These stages boost the character's statistics and fame, and also award money when cleared.

Weapon Hex
Finishing this event will unlock a random weapon for your character.

Rare Weapon Hex
Unique per character, these hexes unlock each character's Special Weapon, a penultimate weapon with special stats and unique look that is character specific.

Guardian Animal Hex
These hexes reward the player with a new Guardian Animal (Mount or Pet) by completing them.

Legend Hexes
These hexes are "gaiden" stages or What-If missions for specific characters.

To Battle!

Each battle hex has its own set of objectives, participating officers/factions, and its own rewards. Once you're in battle just begin hacking and slashing your way to your objectives.

After battle reap the rewards of your labor, rifle through your gained weapons, view your new stats, spend your Skill Points, and prepare for the next hex! Slowly but surely you'll dig your way across China!

"don't mess with shadowclaimer, he uses logic.... its overpowered" - Tsak

(Strikethrough were added since this list was made, Italic are in Blast)
Wu: Cheng Pu, Han Dang, Zu Mao, Sun Yi, Wu Guotai, Jiang Qin, Zhuge Jin, Zhuge Ke, Lu Kang, Sun Hao
Wei: Li Dian, Yue Jin, Yu Jin, Guo Jia, Cao Zhang, Cao Ang, Bian Shi, Xiahou Shang, Hu Che Er
Shu: Guan Xing, Zhang Bao, Liao Hua, Ma Su, Wang Ping, Sha Moke, Meng Da, Liu Feng
Jin: Zhang Chunhua, Wen Yang, Zhou Tai, Yang Hu, Du Yu, Jia Chong
Other: Chen Gong, Gao Shun, Ding Yuan, He Jin, Zhang Bao, Zhang Liang, Yuan Shu, Han Sui, Ma Teng

JayHawk
Officer

February 24th, 2011, 2:13 am #2

Excellent guide. Well done Shadowclaimer.
This explains a lot.

I hope DLC characters can be added to conquest mode... I'm hoping for Other characters, and Pang De.
--Dynasty Warriors Wishlist--
Wei: Xun Yu, Cao Hong, Yu Jin
Wu: Cheng Pu, Zu Mao Zhuge Jin
Shu: Liao Hua, Wang Ping, Ma Yunlu
Other: Ma Teng, Yuan Shu, Liu Biao, Gongsun Zan, Chen Gong, Zuo Ci

RandomGuySaysHi
Officer

February 24th, 2011, 2:18 am #3

how do you know so much???

i'm a little confused, you said that certain characters can not be used in certain "episodes" and then you went on to say "(Note: Conquest Mode is NOT character specific, it is a global endeavor across ALL characters)"

could you elaborate on this a bit?
www.youtube.com/HarderRocker15
ZE LINK
You'll love me!
Or just become dumber than ever before!

Shadowclaimer
Tiger General

February 24th, 2011, 2:19 am #4

RandomGuySaysHi wrote:how do you know so much???

i'm a little confused, you said that certain characters can not be used in certain "episodes" and then you went on to say "(Note: Conquest Mode is NOT character specific, it is a global endeavor across ALL characters)"

Certain hexes can only be played by certain characters (there are very few like this, mostly the Gaidens and Special Weapon stages).

However the unlocking across the map is globally done, so you don't have to re-unlock hexes for every single character.

And I read and pay attention ;) I'm a data whore.

Edit: Editted main post to word that better =P

Wu: Cheng Pu, Han Dang, Zu Mao, Sun Yi, Wu Guotai, Jiang Qin, Zhuge Jin, Zhuge Ke, Lu Kang, Sun Hao
Wei: Li Dian, Yue Jin, Yu Jin, Guo Jia, Cao Zhang, Cao Ang, Bian Shi, Xiahou Shang, Hu Che Er
Shu: Guan Xing, Zhang Bao, Liao Hua, Ma Su, Wang Ping, Sha Moke, Meng Da, Liu Feng
Other: Chen Gong, Gao Shun, Ding Yuan, He Jin, Zhang Bao, Zhang Liang, Yuan Shu, Han Sui, Ma Teng

RandomGuySaysHi
Officer

February 24th, 2011, 2:23 am #5

Shadowclaimer wrote:
RandomGuySaysHi wrote:how do you know so much???

Certain hexes can only be played by certain characters (there are very few like this, mostly the Gaidens and Special Weapon stages).

However the unlocking across the map is globally done, so you don't have to re-unlock hexes for every single character.

And I read and pay attention ;) I'm a data whore.

Edit: Editted main post to word that better =P
ok, i got a better idea of what you mean now, thanks.
ZE LINK
You'll love me!

Shadowclaimer
Tiger General

February 24th, 2011, 2:26 am #6

I /think/ its finalized.

Any comments/criticism/anything I'm missing let me know and I'll update it.

kaiosuke37
Right General

February 24th, 2011, 2:29 am #7

Wow, nicely done. Once again ;)

I'm liking this Conquest Mode more and more. Though I think people who are still whining about Free Mode should take a look to get a better understanding.

Shadowclaimer
Tiger General

February 24th, 2011, 2:32 am #8

Yea I can't personally see the complaints about Free Mode missing, the ONLY thing that will be different will be the fact that you probably won't get access to a Story Mode stage just by beating it in Story Mode, you'll have to actually get to it on the map from your starting hex.

But that's still not a big deal.

Blaziruku
Officer

February 24th, 2011, 2:34 am #9

Just wondering, but after you clear the whole thing, you can select any, right?

And about the *special* weapon hexes, how do you activate those? Is it just unlocked, then go in with every other character?

RandomGuySaysHi
Officer

February 24th, 2011, 2:36 am #10

kaiosuke37 wrote: Though I think people who are still whining about Free Mode should take a look to get a better understanding.
the only problem that most of us have is that conquest mode is turning out to be something totally different from what we were first told it would be like.

we were told it would be based off a timeline, sort of like Destiny mode from DW5 XL
ZE LINK
You'll love me!