Archlich's Tumblr for 3 Kingdoms

ChrisX
Han's Unifier
ChrisX
Han's Unifier

March 19th, 2018, 1:24 pm #1

I'm sure you've heard of this Tumblr detailing 3 Kingdoms history. Site here:

https://the-archlich.tumblr.com

Now, I'm not here to judge on those who actually believed in what this site said, but I'll have to say that the man got talent in writing an entertaining content.

However, upon further research and discussions, I've eventually noticed that the site isn't a good source for history materials, namely because the creator himself is rather biased. Bias makes a good entertainment source at times, but it's not for good historical studies. This is an intensive scholar website that decries the validity of his claims:

http://the-scholars.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ch#p613072

Thanks to bias, he missed out a lot and made up stuffs against Shu people, taking advantage of lack of proper history department and made up high praises on Cao Wei and Jin, while attempting to whitewash their faults.

I'm not saying you should stop being entertained with him, but if you want to say things about historical accuracy, his site shouldn't be used as a legit source.

I'm sorry if I am a bit slow or ending up preaching to the choir, but I'd like to inform you guys in here. I mean, I was a fool to almost believing him...
The sig will be back later.

Yuki-Onna
God of War

March 19th, 2018, 1:39 pm #2

Bias isn't the biggest issue with his site. Everybody has a bias, and his becomes pretty apparent after a few minutes. Even the best historians, with Ph.D.s in the field of history, have biases.

There are some other much bigger problems with his site:

-The lack of source citation. This is far and away the biggest problem for using the site as some kind of historical gospel. If you don't know where he got his sources, there is no way to check the veracity of the information. It's hard to know if some of it is bogus or not.

-In reality, the cherrypicking of his sources. If he were to bring up a source but then state his opinion that the source should not be trusted, that is one thing. He doesn't do that. He just chooses which sources to draw from and which sources to disregard without telling you what he's doing or where he's getting his information. This ties in with the first point about how he doesn't cite his sources to begin with.
Thanks for the sig Hazarapatish

ChrisX
Han's Unifier
ChrisX
Han's Unifier

March 19th, 2018, 1:47 pm #3

By default, Shu was in a rather hard state thanks to the lack of proper history department, and with the changing values over time (where Cao Cao looks less of a villain in modern times, just highly competent, whereas Liu Bei's many failures are looked down even if traditional Chinese highly prioritized his virtue), it was easy to make Shu a black sheep to look cool and deviate from what ROTK gave.

And Archlich's site was the perfect site for the anti-Shu bunch to gather and feel justified. Which continued to grow further and further, despite the obvious problems in his site. If it continued, what was supposed to be a rather biased and not-really-good source would be accepted as truth, since sometimes internet can be really good in doing so.

Dongzhou
Emperor's Retainer
Dongzhou
Emperor's Retainer

March 19th, 2018, 1:59 pm #4

I do think archlich goes towards a more aggressive bias then, say, De Crespigny's pro-Wu but as long as one knows the extent of the bias. I do think archlich might be wise to put in his character analysis section a "in some of these, I claim Zhuge Liang wrote the histories. This is incorrect"

I do find his work entertaining, he does cover some era's that aren't usually covered. If it helps get people into places like scholars or this section to discuss history then great, I would rather have people getting involved and then we can work on any issues from archlich (again that Zhuge Liang histories one is an issue I have come across a few times).

ChrisX
Han's Unifier
ChrisX
Han's Unifier

March 19th, 2018, 2:03 pm #5

I'll admit that for entertainment purposes, he may be doing his job well enough. Nay, probably he did good for entertainment purposes. However, the bias might not be visible to some people and may cause people to think he's telling the truth thanks to his 'citing sources' (actually, choosing whichever sources fit his vision and tastes, disregarding the ones that don't).
wrote:"I do think archlich might be wise to put in his character analysis section a "in some of these, I claim Zhuge Liang wrote the histories. This is incorrect""
Uhm, I don't think you could convince him to do so on his own site. It's his site, he writes what he wants. If he's not concerned with actual history and letting his bias take over, it is his decision.

Dongzhou
Emperor's Retainer
Dongzhou
Emperor's Retainer

March 19th, 2018, 2:07 pm #6

Sure, people I have come across aren't that aware of the bias or don't realize the extent of it. Then they could pointed to where things are wrong when they come to 3kingdom places as I and others have done before

I said it might be wise. Not that I'm pushing him to do so

ChrisX
Han's Unifier
ChrisX
Han's Unifier

March 19th, 2018, 2:09 pm #7

Apologies, I didn't mean 'pushing him'. But I just thought that even he's pointed out or suggested as such, he wouldn't listen.

Lillyflower 999
Right General

March 19th, 2018, 6:25 pm #8

ChrisX wrote:Apologies, I didn't mean 'pushing him'. But I just thought that even he's pointed out or suggested as such, he wouldn't listen.
I kinda use this site even heard about the bias.
It's hard to find out more about the history for free or have more about accurate source without someone being bias or misleading to those who don't know about the history.

Thank You! Yuesunsx!

Dongzhou
Emperor's Retainer
Dongzhou
Emperor's Retainer

March 20th, 2018, 1:40 pm #9

I find this history and the scholars place (note, I am a mod there) Chris have been reliable places for askin questions about the era while there are translated texts (kongming has sgz as does xuesangou while the ZZTJ for the entire era has been translated)

Lillyflower 999
Right General

March 20th, 2018, 4:38 pm #10

Dongzhou wrote:I find this history and the scholars place (note, I am a mod there) Chris have been reliable places for askin questions about the era while there are translated texts (kongming has sgz as does xuesangou while the ZZTJ for the entire era has been translated)
Sorry, I not sure what you meant by that?

Thank You! Yuesunsx!