Moderator: scholar

3 kingdoms : Strange names

PeJ
Emperor's Retainer

November 26th, 2016, 11:00 am #1

Well ..; I've just read 3 kingdoms, first chapter and ... WTF WHy the name are so strange oO

Guan Yu = Kuan Yu
Liu Bei = Leow Pi oO

Cao cao = ts'ao tsao
Zhang Jiao well ..; seems to be Tchang Kiao

MeowMeow
Emperor's Retainer
MeowMeow
Emperor's Retainer

November 26th, 2016, 11:09 am #2

That's the difference in romanization (putting Chinese names into latin characters). Our generation is used to the Hanyu Pinyin romanization used in Mainland China.

Cao Cao
Beijing

However, in older translations of Chinese works and history, the older Wade-Giles system is used to transliterate Chinese names and places into English (and other European languages)

T'sao T'sao
Peking

Obviously I am also used to the Hanyu Pinyin system. But some places like Taiwan still use the Wade Giles system and other random systems to transliterate Chinese names.

I remember the free online version of ROTK is the Brewitt-Taylor version from 1925 or something like that that uses old English and the Wade Giles system. Most of us younger folk read the Moss Roberts version with Hanyu Pinyin names and more modern language
Thanks to Rosaceae for this wonderful sig!

Mr.Honda
Legend

November 26th, 2016, 8:12 pm #3

Moved this topic to the 3K Novel section as it discusses the 3K novel, rather than the 3K games :P

Signature & Avatar Credits:
~Spirited Bellflower~, Aryamehr, Katatonia, Ryo Genken, Mitsuchika, LegendaryDragonWarrior, Jiahe, Loura-chan, & Shadow :ph43r:

Zantam03
Elite Soldier
Zantam03
Elite Soldier

November 27th, 2016, 9:46 am #4

PeJ wrote:Well ..; I've just read 3 kingdoms, first chapter and ... WTF WHy the name are so strange oO

Guan Yu = Kuan Yu
Liu Bei = Leow Pi oO

Cao cao = ts'ao tsao
Zhang Jiao well ..; seems to be Tchang Kiao
Did you buy a physical copy of the book or something? There are multiple sites online which have a Pinyin version of Brewitt-Taylor's translation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms...

one is in my sig (threekingdoms.wikia.com)... the other is threekingdoms.com