An old mitt with a new purpose

3:57 AM - Sep 30, 2018 #1

Hey all. So I recently found a nice Wilson A2124 Fred Lynn endorsed Pro Model Fielders Mitt, 70's vintage I'm pretty sure, that was in pretty good shape structurally, but saw very little to no play at all. It looked very unloved as it was pretty bleached out and dusty, as though it was just thrown in a corner and plain forgotten about. Well, I was in the market for a new glove to play catch with my boys since my old Mitt from when I was a kid is a bit small on me these days. Still a great glove, a Wilson also, but I needed something bigger and a little more updated in regards to looks. I checked out the market, but holy hell, some of the prices of these modern gloves are just through the roof!! Well, that prompted me to pursue a more economical route. That being said, I managed to pick up this glove for short money AND I decided to re-dye it to my liking since it was so bleached out. However, the lace on this mitt was just terrible. Talk about dry as a desert! So, I'll be sending it out for a professional re-lace to a guy I've used before out in Texas in a few days. In terms of collectability, this mitt is wrecked, but as far as playability, style, and the rejuvenation of a mitt that's well over 40, maybe even 50 years old? Aces all day! Enjoy the pics all and after it comes home from TX, I'll show you the finished product. GO SOX!!

Pics 1 & 2 here, is this glove in its original form, how it was found and acquired. It's Ok, but dated and the lacing was dry and stiff.

Pics 1 thru 5 below are before and after. All lacing was removed before I dyed and no conditioner yet. If it looks bluish, it's due to the lighting. Black and Dark Brown dye is what was applied. Will be re-laced with black lacing.

5:33 AM - Oct 06, 2018 #2

And it's back!

Turned out way better than I'd expected and was great fun to do.