Started another QB project.....

Started another QB project.....

October 3rd, 2016, 6:43 am #1

I've been wanting a nice PCP for some time now. I had always thought that a Daystate Airwolf or Wolverine in .22 would be the ultimate airgun for me. I also thought that a BSA R10 would be a nice one to own. Those guns are way more airgun than I would need for the backyard plinking that do and a lot of money to boot!

To remedy the issue of cost and performance I decided to convert another QB78 to a HPA bottle gun and add the repeater conversion to it so that I will have ten shot bolt action at my finger tips. I thought why not make a piece of furniture for the new creation and model it after the desirable Daystate Airwolf? So on an impulse I traced my current QB on a piece of paper and drew a copy of the Airwolf over the tracing. Next thing I knew I was in the shop making sawdust! Ha ha ha

Here is the start of a new QB78 repeater in the form of an Airwolf.......

October 3rd, 2016, 7:36 pm #2

Got to say that looks like some pictures that HOWIE sent me when making me 4 48/52 stocks.

You got it going on with that wood. Can't wait to see this project as the wood takes shape.

Howie would after the rough out and do the cut out of the gun bed. Even shot the gun in the rough out. Then he did his magic to the shape and design.

Great start and thanks for sharing it here!💀
""

October 4th, 2016, 1:06 am #3

I've been wanting a nice PCP for some time now. I had always thought that a Daystate Airwolf or Wolverine in .22 would be the ultimate airgun for me. I also thought that a BSA R10 would be a nice one to own. Those guns are way more airgun than I would need for the backyard plinking that do and a lot of money to boot!

To remedy the issue of cost and performance I decided to convert another QB78 to a HPA bottle gun and add the repeater conversion to it so that I will have ten shot bolt action at my finger tips. I thought why not make a piece of furniture for the new creation and model it after the desirable Daystate Airwolf? So on an impulse I traced my current QB on a piece of paper and drew a copy of the Airwolf over the tracing. Next thing I knew I was in the shop making sawdust! Ha ha ha

I'm guessing that's walnut? Man you could be making stocks as a side business...LOL,
but if you're like me that would take the fun out of it....don't like to mix work
with my leisure time.

Regards, Thomas M.

October 4th, 2016, 3:51 am #4

Got to say that looks like some pictures that HOWIE sent me when making me 4 48/52 stocks.

You got it going on with that wood. Can't wait to see this project as the wood takes shape.

Howie would after the rough out and do the cut out of the gun bed. Even shot the gun in the rough out. Then he did his magic to the shape and design.

Great start and thanks for sharing it here!💀
I'll try and keep this updated as I make progress, not only the stock but the action too when I get it and the parts for it. Inletting for the action is next. I did get one hole drilled but that's not very exciting to look at! Ha ha ha!

More to come.....

October 4th, 2016, 3:54 am #5

I'm guessing that's walnut? Man you could be making stocks as a side business...LOL,
but if you're like me that would take the fun out of it....don't like to mix work
with my leisure time.

Regards, Thomas M.
You guessed correctly, it is black walnut.

It is nice to think that I could make some stocks on the side but I am like you in that it probably would take the fun out of it AND I'm not very fast at it either! Ha ha ha

More will be coming.....

October 7th, 2016, 11:08 pm #6

Just a little progress on the stock today...

I mounted the old butt pad from my QB78 to it and started inletting for the trigger housing by drilling holes to remove the bulk of the material. I will square up the hole and clear the sides with a chisel. After that I plan to chuck a cove bit into the router table and route the channel for the airtube.

The QB78 that will fit into this stock delivered yesterday so I have what I need to fit the action into the stock. The multi shot conversion is out of stock at AirgunDepot but, they say it will be available in a couple of weeks to deliver so I have that to look forward to. It will also give me time to work the wood and do the mods on the action to make it HPA.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

I also bought a carving wheel from Harbor Freight to help remove wood fast when shaping and this is the test area to see how it was going to work. It will remove wood quick! I had better take it easy with this one......

October 8th, 2016, 12:01 am #7

bought the different grits its like a wood eraser LOL

also Arbourtech had couple things for fine contours but they are very expensive.

Looks very good brett, Thats gonna be really nice! yeah the time factor two days out of the week is all I have to myself, I put things on hold until I feel like getting back into anythng.
Last edited by 4888blues on October 8th, 2016, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 8th, 2016, 2:10 am #8

Looks like your making headway. That wood has some nice grain.

Not sure if your using the flapper we heel or disc but either one Will eat that wood. For inside the stock cutting I use the a metal bur bit type tool. It is really made for metal prepping but works great on wood with my Dewalt end grinder.Even with that you have to be careful. Only thing bad about the end grinder is not having a speed setting. It is a high speed tool.

Looking good!💀
""

October 8th, 2016, 2:22 am #9

Just a little progress on the stock today...

I mounted the old butt pad from my QB78 to it and started inletting for the trigger housing by drilling holes to remove the bulk of the material. I will square up the hole and clear the sides with a chisel. After that I plan to chuck a cove bit into the router table and route the channel for the airtube.

The QB78 that will fit into this stock delivered yesterday so I have what I need to fit the action into the stock. The multi shot conversion is out of stock at AirgunDepot but, they say it will be available in a couple of weeks to deliver so I have that to look forward to. It will also give me time to work the wood and do the mods on the action to make it HPA.

THANKS FOR LOOKING!

I also bought a carving wheel from Harbor Freight to help remove wood fast when shaping and this is the test area to see how it was going to work. It will remove wood quick! I had better take it easy with this one......

I would measure three times and cut once..LOL, but you look like you know what you're doing, so carry on.

How much does a walnut blank like that cost, if you don't mind me asking? It does have
some nice grain.

Take your time and it will turn out great!

Regards, Thomas M.

October 8th, 2016, 3:10 am #10

a guy named Cecil Fredi. Gunstockblanks.com

I have bought the cheapest ones available which are $40

He has some really fancy high grade stuff but I'm too cheap and scared to cut into too much money! Ha ha ha