The aim of this thread is to piece together the story of what happened at Stockwell tube station on 22 July 2005 when a 27 year old Brazilian electrician was shot dead by armed, plain-clothes officers.A security agency source contacted by the Sunday Herald said: “This take-out is the signature of a special forces operation. It is not the way the police usually do things. We know members of SO19 have been receiving training from the SAS, but even so, this has special forces written all over it.”
Source: Sunday Herald
In order to do so, some analysis is required of the reports of the key players including, ultimately, as much detail as possible about Jean Charles de Menezes and his movements that morning.
The officers on the day are identifiable by their operational names. Commencing with those who were tasked with surveilling the block of flats in which de Menezes lived. The Tango team appear to have been watching the block of flats with groups of Hotels in pursuit.
Tango Ten was part of the first surveillance team and the watcher issued with D/V camera who failed to identify de Menezes positively because he was 'relieving himself'. At 9.33am he made these notes in his log book: "I observed a U/I [unidentified] male IC1 [white] 5'8" dark hair beard/stubble, blue denim jacket, blue jeans and wearing trainers exit the block, he was not carrying anything and at this time I could not confirm whether he was or was not either of our subjects.
From a Channel 4 News report of the leaked documents, not directly attributed to Tango Ten but which appear to fit his role in the events that day: "As he walked out of my line of vision I checked the photographs and transmitted that "it would be worth somebody else having a look". I should put out that as I observed this mail exiting the block I was relieving myself. At this time I was not able to transmit my observations and switch on the video camera at the same time. There is therefore no video footage of this male."
Hotel One belonged to the first surveillance team and followed de Menezes from his flat. The officer reported hearing on his radio that Mr de Menezes had got off the bus in Brixton at 9.47am only to reboard at 9.49am - for reasons that are unclear. At 10.02am he got off the bus at Stockwell tube and was followed into the station by several surveillance officers.
Hotel One was part of the second surveillance team and followed de Menezes from the apartment block to Stockwell station. At Stockwell station Hotel One reported: "I could see one of my colleagues, Hotel Nine, on the escalator in front of me ... I walked on to the platform ... and stepped on to the train through the single open door. I was immediately aware of Hotel Three sat two seats to my right facing the platform."
Hotel Three admits being told to allow Mr de Menezes to enter the station. Hotel Three said he followed de Menezes into a train carriage and took a seat near him… “I took a seat to his left-hand side on the same carriage and there were about two or three members of the public between me and the male in the denim jacket.” His position on the train is also reported by Hotel One. About 10 to 15 seconds later, Hotel Three saw four men moving along the platform: "I immediately identified these men as police officers probably from SO19 and decided to identify the male in the denim jacket, who I followed on to the tube, to them as they appeared to be looking into the carriage as if searching for someone". After walking to the carriage doors, "I placed my left foot against the open carriage door to prevent it shutting ... I shouted 'He's here' and indicated to the male in the denim jacket with my right hand.
I then heard shouting which included the word 'police' and turned to face the male in the denim jacket. “He immediately stood up and advanced towards me and the (CO19) officers. I grabbed the male in the denim jacket by wrapping both my arms around his torso pinning his arms to his side. I grabbed the male in the denim jacket by wrapping both my arms around his torso pinning his arms to his side. I then pushed him back on to the seat where he had previously been sitting with the right-hand side of my head pressed against the right-hand side of his torso… I then heard a gunshot very close to my ear and was dragged away onto the floor of the carriage. I shouted ‘police’ and held up my hands. I was then dragged out of the carriage by an armed officer who appeared to be carrying a long-barrelled weapon. I heard several gunshots as I was being dragged out of the carriage.”
Hotel Nine was near the double doors.
Gold Comand: The operational police command unit headed by Cressida Dick, issued an order that Mr de Menezes should be prevented from entering the tube system.
- If Gold Command had said intercept de Menezes why was he not intercepted at any point between leaving his flat and boarding the train at Stockwell?
- Why did de Menezes get off the bus at Brixton? Did he know he was being followed?
- Why did it take the Metropolitan Police two days to inform the de Menezes family of his death?
- The letter Ian Blair wrote to the IPCC to request that the inquiry be delayed was dated 21 July. It was republished with an introduction that suggested, of course, that the letter should be dated 22 July - the day of the shooting - yet Ian Blair stated he did not find out that an innocent man had been murdered until 10:30am on 23rd July. How can this be?
- There was a raid by scores of armed officers on the flats in which de Menezes lived on the Saturday after the shooting. Why would armed police raid the flat of a man they had already murdered a day previously?
QUESTIONS ABOUT PHOTO
- How did his shoes come off?
- CCTV footage is reported to show JCdM picking up a copy of the free Metro newspaper yet the documents either side of one of his shoes appear to be something other than a Metro Newspaper.
- There is a lot of blood on the seats on the first seat behind the second yellow poll on the left the body's blue denim shirt only appears to a small amount of blood on it over the right shoulder. How can this be?
- What are the random objects scattered on the floor?
- What is in the pile of white 'casing' like objects?
- Is the hand and visible torso paler than that of Jean Charles de Menezes in all the other photos of him?
- It took until 5pm the following day, July 23, for Scotland Yard to formally admit that the victim was not linked to the anti-terrorism operation. At 9.30pm Scotland Yard issued the name Jean Charles de Menezes.
[ working document - in progress ]