The Guardian & Jenny Nicholson

Keeping an eye on the media coverage of July 7th, and taking the media to task over their inaccuracies, mis-leading statements and distortions. Post all your complaints and responses here! If you spot inaccuracies in the media coverage, here's the place to tell us about it.

The Guardian & Jenny Nicholson

Bridget

19 Jun 2006, 09:54 #1

Dear Sir

I wrote to you back in March (copies included) about an article entitled:

Vicar who cannot forgive tube bombers quits pulpit which appeared in the Guardian on 7/3/06. I never receieved a reply from the news editor or the reporter but I notice that the article has changed from the original which stated:

on the westbound Circle line service she had boarded at Paddington station

to this:

on the eastbound Circle line service she had boarded at Paddington station

http://www.guardian.co.uk/attackonlondo ... 71,00.html

By changing the direction from west to east still does not put Jenny Nicholson on the train that we are told Mohammed Sidique Khan exploded a bomb on.

I have also checked with TFL and there were no injuries or deaths on the train that was travelling east from Paddington which was affected by the westbound train that had just left Edgware Rd.

This account of Jenny Nicholson's death still fails to make sense and remains inaccurate despite the article being changed,

Regards

Bridget Dunne

----- Original Message -----
To: "Bridget Dunne"
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Article in The Guardian 7/3/06

> Bridget,
>
> It's not possible to answer everything. Howqever, I'll have another go at
> getting this clarified for you. I'm forwarding it to the reporter concerned
> and to the news editor,
>
>
> best wishes
>
> Ian Mayes
>
>
>&nbsp; "Bridget Dunne"&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
>&nbsp; To:&nbsp; &nbsp; <reader@guardian.co.uk>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
>&nbsp; 22/03/06 09:35 am&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Subject: Fw: Article in The Guardian 7/3/06&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
>&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;
>
> Dear Sir
>
> I am forwarding another copy of the email I sent you re: an article in the
> Guardian dated 7/3/06. Could you please aknowledge receipt and inform me of
> when you intend to reply,
>
> Regards
>
> Ms Bridget Dunne
>&nbsp;
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Bridget Dunne
> To: reader@guardian.co.uk
> Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 3:49 PM
> Subject: Article in The Guardian 7/3/06
>
> Dear Sir
>
> This article in Tuesday's Guardian:
>
> Vicar who cannot forgive tube bombers quits pulpit
>
> Sam Jones
> Tuesday March 7, 2006
> The Guardian
>
> states the following:
>
> "Jenny Nicholson, who was 24, was killed by the suicide bomber Mohammed
> Sidique Khan. She had phoned her boyfriend, James White, minutes
> earlier."
>
> Yet the Circle Line would have to travel eastbound between Paddington and
> Edgware Road, and given that we are told that it was the westbound train
> that exploded, I cannot make sense of how this young woman can have been
> killed by Mr Khan on July 7th,
>
> Could you please check if you have given the correct information,
>
> Yours Sincerely
>
> Ms B Dunne
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

Bridget

19 Jun 2006, 16:59 #2

A very quick reply:
Dear Bridget Dunne,

Thank you for your latest email on the death of Jennifer Nicholson in the July 7 bombings last year. The readers' editor, Ian Mayes, passed it to me so that a fresh pair of eyes could address your concern.

You say that TfL said there were no injuries or deaths on the eastbound train.

What is not in dispute is that Ms Nicholson was one of the six killed by the suicide bomber's blast near Edgware Road station. We, along with other national papers reported her death at the time without mentioning the details of the train on which she travelled.

Much information is partial and confused at the time of a horrific event of this scale. We attempt to assemble the story as accurately as possible in the circumstances. Remember also that it was five days before Ms Nicholson's body was identified.

The other certainty is that she made a call to her father or her boyfriend (both are mentioned in different reports) and that was traced to Paddington.

Only the Camden New Journal of July 15 has, so far as I can discover, stated categorically that, "Her tube carriage was going in the opposite direction to the train in which the bomber was travelling".

We later reported, on the occasion of her mother's statement in March this year, that she had been travelling west, which was the information we were given. You pointed out that she must have been travelling east and the reporter concerned confirmed that there had been a mistake in the original information.

Most of this sort of detailed information has been uncovered by the authorities concerned and subsequently passed on to the media. We then report what we receive in good faith. Perhaps TfL has the wrong information? Perhaps the coroner has more information?

We cannot solve these murders; we can only try to make sure that the correct information, so far as we can establish it, is in the public domain.

May I encourage you to draw the discrepancies you point to about the death of Jennifer Nicholson to the attention of the Metropolitan police or the coroner's office.

Yours sincerely,
Murray Armstrong,
Associate editor.
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

Bridget

19 Jun 2006, 17:29 #3

The Guardian are right, only the Camden New Journal mention the fact that Ms Nicholson was travelling in the opposite direction:
• JENNY Nicholson, an advertising executive working in Tottenham Court Road, was confirmed dead yesterday (Wednesday).
Miss Nicholson, 24, was killed in the Edware Road suicide blast on Thursday.
Her tube carriage was going in the opposite direction to the train in which the bomber was travelling.
Miss Nicholson’s friend and colleague, Greg Tassle, a tenor at St Pancras Church, Euston Road, said: “The office has been very quiet. We’re a very small company and this has been a very sad day.”
CNJ

Kier

05 Jan 2007, 14:09 #4

Edgware Road

• "We just left Paddington station. About 15 seconds later there was some kind of explosion and we collided with another train. We were heading into the station when there was some kind of explosion or something. Everything went black and we collided into some kind of oncoming train. There was debris all over the trains." - Bradley Anderson
The Scotsman
"We are not democrats for, among other reasons, democracy sooner or later leads to war and dictatorship. Just as we are not supporters of dictatorships, among other things, because dictatorship arouses a desire for democracy, provokes a return to democracy, and thus tends to perpetuate a vicious circle in which human society oscillates between open and brutal tyranny and a lying freedom." - Errico Malatesta, Democracy and Anarchy 1924

justthefacts

16 Aug 2007, 01:24 #5

If someone had just got the Reading to Paddington rail service, and was trying to get to Tottenham Court Road, why would they be on the Circle Line?
But Duncan, what men believe isn't important - it's our actions which make us right or wrong. - Alasdair Gray - Lanark

numeral

16 Aug 2007, 04:35 #6

justthefacts @ Aug 16 2007, 01:24 AM wrote: If someone had just got the Reading to Paddington rail service, and was trying to get to Tottenham Court Road, why would they be on the Circle Line?
From the Bakerloo line DOM report.
Early Turn Commentary:
Good start this morning a defective train at Picc Circus caused delays to the train service during the peak followed by a major bomb alert in London closed the Underground.
09:00: AM peak. 3 trains cancelled (1 DIS, 2 Picc Train Incident). All Stations open.
08:12 N245 Picc Circus NB Platform. T/op reports defective doors and after checks carried out a main line burst on the rear car 3242. Customers detrained and TM in attendance. One train held at BP12 signal N231 from 08:15 this train was on the move towards Picc Circus under rule at 08:25 and arrived in the NB platform as soon as N245 departed. At 08:30 the TM and T/op reported that the train would be moving shortly. N245 departed Picc Circus by 08 35. 30 minutes delay. Train services suspended Paddington- E&C both roads from 08:15 – 08:30.
So no trains from Paddington to Piccadilly Circus (for Shaftesbury Avenue where J worked). It is possible she got on a clockwise Circle line train by mistake and changed to 216 at Edgware Road.
Follow the numbers.

Bridget

16 Aug 2007, 09:09 #7

numeral @ Aug 16 2007, 05:35 AM wrote:
justthefacts @ Aug 16 2007, 01:24 AM wrote: If someone had just got the Reading to Paddington rail service, and was trying to get to Tottenham Court Road, why would they be on the Circle Line?
From the Bakerloo line DOM report.
Early Turn Commentary:
Good start this morning a defective train at Picc Circus caused delays to the train service during the peak followed by a major bomb alert in London closed the Underground.
09:00: AM peak. 3 trains cancelled (1 DIS, 2 Picc Train Incident). All Stations open.
08:12 N245 Picc Circus NB Platform. T/op reports defective doors and after checks carried out a main line burst on the rear car 3242. Customers detrained and TM in attendance. One train held at BP12 signal N231 from 08:15 this train was on the move towards Picc Circus under rule at 08:25 and arrived in the NB platform as soon as N245 departed. At 08:30 the TM and T/op reported that the train would be moving shortly. N245 departed Picc Circus by 08 35. 30 minutes delay. Train services suspended Paddington- E&C both roads from 08:15 – 08:30.
So no trains from Paddington to Piccadilly Circus (for Shaftesbury Avenue where J worked). It is possible she got on a clockwise Circle line train by mistake and changed to 216 at Edgware Road.
The Bakerloo southbound would have been running again at 8.30 though? Otherwise this would mean Jenny had to go to a different line at Paddington from the Bakerloo Line (it looks a fair distance on the tube map) and then instead of just taking the Circle line or H&C from the south bound platform to Notting Hill, mistakenly going in the opposite direction to ER. If she was on the H & C which terminates at ER why not just continue her journey and change at KX as pointed out in this comment left on my blog:
I have thought very hard about how Jenny Nicholson died ever since the news broke. I have not tried to find out as it would obviously look distasteful and I would appear obsessed. However, I feel connected to her because I used to work at Rhinegold Publishing although I never met her as she joined after my time. I also know Paddington commuter arrival location. She could not have been on the WESTBOUND [please note that your re-typed Guardian quote on this website in fact has a mistake in it - it should read 'eastbound', as it does in the link, which is exactly proving the point] Circle line unless she took Hammersmith & City to Edgware Road and then changed there to Westbound and intended to go down to Notting HIll to change for Central line. None of these journeys make much sense for Rhinegold office - the quickest would be, of course, Bakerloo. Everything is obfuscated by the untimely failure of Bakerloo and Northern lines. Many of the victims would not have died if they had been where they would normally be at that time.

Jenny could also have gone east and intended to change for Picadilly line at King's Cross to go to Holborn. ...

Additionally, at 8.45 a.m. the Northern line at my local station in South London was shut and the gates were closed at street level. "They did not know how long it would take". When I took a bus to a train station nearby, trains scheduled King's Cross were delayed already coming to this far-away station from the south, and the reason given was "power failures in the King's Cross area". This is the Thames link train. This was slightly before 9.50...

Eventually I went to Waterloo on another train. The rest we know.