Named Suspect: Germaine Lindsay

"We need an official inquiry - now. Not a whitewash inquiry like Lord Hutton's. Or a punch-pulling inquiry like Lord Butler's. But an inquiry run by plain Mr or Mrs somebody." - Lt. Col. Crispin Black
An independent, public discussion, analysis and inquiry into the events of July 7th.

Named Suspect: Germaine Lindsay

Dec 9 2005, 04:52 PM #1

GERMAINE LINDSAY, 19, FROM AYLESBURY, BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

Police sources have named the fourth suicide bomber as Jamaican-born British resident Germaine Lindsay.

He is understood to have been living at a house in Northern Road, Aylesbury that police raided on Wednesday night.

Germaine Lindsay spent his teenage years in Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, like his fellow bombers.

He moved there in 1999 with his mother and sister, and moved away in 2003.

During this time he changed his name to Jamal Lindsay and began attending after-school classes to improve his knowledge of Islam.

Germaine Lindsay was married to Samantha Lewthwaite, with whom he is reported to have one 15-month-old child. Ms Lewthwaite is also reported to be pregnant with their second baby.

In a statement Ms Lewthwaite said she "never predicted or imagined that he was involved in such horrific activities".

"He was a loving husband and father," she said.

"My whole world has fallen apart and my thoughts are with the families of the victims of this incomprehensible devastation."

A statement issued by his relatives Andrew, 49, Sabrina, 28, Allan, 25, and Carly, 21 said Germaine Lindsay "had a kind, caring and calming presence about him".

"He was a good and loving husband and a brilliant father, who showed absolutely no sign of doing this atrocious crime.

"We as a family had no idea of his plans and are as horrified as the rest of the world."

Lindsay is said to be responsible for the Kings Cross attack, where 26 people have been confirmed dead and hundreds more injured.

Suicide bombers' 'ordinary' lives
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

"Truth does not fear investigation." -- Unknown

Feb 1 2006, 08:24 PM #2

Mirror.co.uk - News - Top Stories - VIGILANTESJAILED FOR 7/7 ARSON
"6 December 2005
VIGILANTESJAILED FOR 7/7 ARSON
By Stephen Moyes

TWO teenage vigilantes who torched the former home of a 7/7 suicide bomber were yesterday locked up for 18 months.

Gerry Simmonds and Matthew Siever, both 17, admitted setting fire to the empty house after a boozy night out.

A terrified neighbour had to be evacuated as the blaze took hold, a court heard. The pair made two attempts - first with diesel and then petrol - to burn down Jermaine Lindsay's house in Aylesbury, Bucks, last July.

They were each sentenced to a detention and training order at the town's crown court.

Judge Christopher Tyrer called the attack an act of "puerile vigilantism".

He said that, despite the boys' "obvious remorse", custody was his only option. He added: "This kind of behaviour cannot be tolerated."

Advertisement

Lindsay, 19 - one of a gang of four terrorists - blew himself up on a Piccadilly Line train in London on July 7, killing 26 people."

Source:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories ... _page.html]Daily Mirror://http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topsto...ml]Daily Mirror
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

"Truth does not fear investigation." -- Unknown

Feb 5 2006, 01:59 PM #3

London bombs

The Times  September 23, 2005

The Times

Bomber's widow says extremists twisted his mind
By David Sanderson

Samantha Lewthwaite, pictured on the front page of today's Sun newspaper

THE widow of one of the July 7 suicide bombers told how her “innocent and naive” husband had been poisoned by elements in radical mosques as she cradled their new born baby daughter in her arms.

Samantha Lewthwaite said that she “totally abhorred” the actions of her husband Jermaine Lindsay, who killed 26 people on a Piccadilly Line tube train near King’s Cross; but she said that she still wore the white gold ring her husband had given her and would pass it on to their first child, a son, Abdullah, when he marries. Ms Lewthwaite, 21, a Muslim convert, said that her husband had been a peaceful man whose behaviour changed when he began visiting mosques in London and Luton.

She said: “His behaviour gradually began to change. He turned from the man that I married. In hindsight I can now see exactly what was happening to him and why. How these people could have turned him and poisoned his mind is dreadful. He was an innocent, naive and simple man. I suppose he must have been an ideal candidate.”

She said that Jamaican-born Lindsay started becoming a stranger to her when they moved from Huddersfield to Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire.

“I firmly believe if we had stayed up North he would be the same Jamal,” she said in an interview with The Sun newspaper, “but he got involved in mosques in London and Luton and became a changed person. In October through to November 2004 he met a group who changed his life. He became a man I didn’t recognise. I have no doubt his mind was twisted in there.”

She dismissed suggestions, however, that Lindsay had ever visited terror camps in Afghanistan, adding that he had wanted to visit Saudi Arabia to learn more about Islam.

Ms Lewthwaite said that, hours before Lindsay — she calls him Jamal — left on his bombing mission to London, she had ordered him out of their house because of suspicions he was having an affair. She said he had been vanishing for days at a time.

“He left with a holdall and a bunch of door keys,” she said. “I went to bed. Later that night I’m sure I heard him on the stairs and going into Abdullah’s room. He must have been there in the dead of night to kiss his little boy goodnight. I feel sure he couldn’t have gone through with it without seeing him one last time. He kissed our child goodbye and then crept off to blow up King’s Cross.”

The couple, who married in October 2002 after meeting on the internet, first came face-to-face at a Stop the War march in Hyde Park. He told her then he wanted to qualify as a human rights lawyer and had been a member of Amnesty International at school. He said he wanted to make a difference to the world by peaceful means.

Ms Lewthwaite said it was because of her husband’s love of people that she could not believe what he did.

“The killing of innocent British civilians by Jamal was something I could never comprehend because he was always a peaceful man who loved people,” she said. “He was so angry when he saw Muslim civilians being killed on the streets of Iraq, Bosnia, Palestine and Israel — and always said it was the innocent who suffered. Then he is responsible for doing the same thing.”

Six days after the July 7 carnage Ms Lewthwaite phoned the helpline to say her husband was missing. Soon afterwards police officers arrived and she was taken for questioning while their house was searched.

She said: “The next day they showed me Jamal on CCTV and said his DNA proved he was one of the bombers. My world collapsed, I was in tears thinking, ‘Who was it who poisoned his brain?’ These people managed to twist him so much that he could turn his back on those who meant so much. It shows why all good Muslims have to fight against evil.

“Jamal is accountable for his actions 100 per cent and I condemn with all my heart what he has done. I will try to remember for my children’s sake the Jamal I loved and raise them knowing their father was a man who truly loved them; but the day will come when I’ll have to tell them what he did.”

Ms Lewthwaite, whose father was a serving British soldier when she was born in Northern Ireland, said after her conversion to Islam that she had been desperate to find a Muslim husband. She was “delighted” when she met Lindsay, who had left his Huddersfield school with 9 GCSEs.

Now living in a safe house with her children Abdullah, 17 months, and Ruqayyah, who was born 15 days ago, Ms Lewthwaite said she worried for their safety. She said: “I just hope people will understand I had nothing to do with this. We are victims as well.”
Times Sept 23 2005
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

Feb 13 2006, 12:03 PM #4

The Times  July 16, 2005

Jamaican bomber, 19, was to be father again
By Adam Fresco, James Bone and Joanna Bale
THE Piccadilly Line suicide bomber, Jermaine Lindsay, was revealed yesterday as the second teenager in the terrorist cell.

Lindsay, who was born in Waterford, Jamaica, was 19 and the father of a one-year-old son. His wife, Samantha Lewthwaite, 21, with whom he lived in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, is eight months pregnant with their second child.

FBI sources said last night that Lindsay had emerged on their “intelligence radar” recently. His name is believed to have been raised in connection with a big anti-terrorist operation in Britain last year but he was not questioned.

The sources denied previous reports that Lindsay had been monitored when he visited relatives in the United States four years ago. “This guy never got on our radar screen until very recently,” an official said.

Before his death Lindsay had been living what appeared to be a normal life with his wife and their baby son, Abdullah Shaheed Ibn-Jamal.

In the weeks before embarking on his mission, Lindsay had become a frequent visitor to the Body Flex gym. To regulars there he appeared to be an innocent newcomer, keen to improve his physique.

Where and when he turned from a peaceful father and husband into a suicide bomber has baffled the small Muslim community. One source said yesterday that Lindsay had once been a follower of Abdullah el-Faisal, a Jamaican Islamist preacher in prison in Britain for inciting his followers to kill non-Muslims.

Lindsay is understood to have come to Britain from Jamaica as a young boy and lived in Huddersfield with his mother, Mary, and his sister in a 1950s terraced house. He is said to have converted to Islam in his mid-teens. He worked as a carpet-fitter before moving south.

Ms Lewthwaite, who was born in Northern Ireland when her father was serving in the British Army, was drawn to Lindsay partly because of her longstanding interest in Islam. A former school friend said that Ms Lewthwaite had been fascinated by Islam since the age of ten when she lived among Asian neighbours on a housing estate.

She converted to Islam when she was 17, taking the name Sherafiyah, before she met Lindsay, who used the Islamic name Jamal. The couple held a wedding ceremony but Samantha’s mother, Christine, is said to have refused to attend.

Police are searching the couple’s home and other addresses in Aylesbury.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 15,00.htmlTimes
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

Feb 13 2006, 01:13 PM #5

Jermaine's wife `thought he was having an affair'

Jul 29 2005

By The Huddersfield Daily Examiner

BRITAIN'S deadliest suicide bomber had been thrown out of his marital home just two days before he killed 25 people - because his wife believed he was having an affair.

Jermaine Lindsay's behaviour had become increasingly erratic in the run-up to July 7 terrorist bombings.

Just two days before he wreaked terrible devastation on unsuspecting commuters, his 21-year-old wife Samantha Lewthwaite, who was pregnant with the couple's second child, decided she had had enough.

She had no proof of an affair but believed he was acting oddly.

He would secretly send text messages and disappear two or three times a week.

After he left, his wife believed her marriage to be over.

It would be a week before it became clear that the "loving, family man" she lived with was one of the first wave of suicide bomber to attack London.

The couple were from different worlds and a devotion to Islam was the thing which bound them together.

Middle-class Samantha, the son of a British soldier, and Jermaine, the sporty former Rawthorpe High pupil, met on the internet.

The pair, who had both recently converted to Islam, met in a chatroom.

Their relationship moved on from emails to phone calls and the exchange of photographs.

They finally met in October 2002.

They were married just minutes later.

The ceremony in a faceless Aylesbury terraced house had just four witnesses - no family and friends.

Samantha, 18, who had left the youthful atmosphere of her sixth form just months earlier, and Jermaine, 17, who had trained as a carpet fitter, promised themselves to each other.

The `Al Nikah' ceremony had no legal status because it was not conducted in a mosque or a licensed place.

But the couple asked for Allah's help and guidance before settling into what appeared to be a normal marriage.

"They were very happy", a friend said. "Sam had seen a picture of him and had been told a lot about him before the wedding. I was amazed that the union worked, but it did."

Less than three years later Samantha became a widow, Jermaine's name went down in infamy and Britain changed.

Samantha Lewthwaite was born just before Christmas 1983 in the market town of Banbridge in County Down.
Banbridge was where her mother, Christine, had grown up and later married husband Andrew, a British soldier.
The couple moved to England to set up home in Buckinghamshire.
But after Samantha's two older siblings Allan and Sabrina were born the family moved back to Northern Ireland.
The family was moved again, this time to Aylesbury when Samantha was two.
Described as "carefree", Samantha was hit hard by her parents' separation when she was 11.
The youngster turned to Islam in multi-cultural Aylesbury.
One of the final pictures of Samantha in `Western' clothes was at her prom aged 16.

She danced the night away with teenage friends.

By 17 Samantha was wearing a jilbab - the long flowing gown that covers everything but the hands and face.

She met Jermaine just a few months later.

Jermaine had converted, along with his mother Maryam McLeod Ismaiyl, to Islam in 2000.

He was born in Jamaica but moved to the UK when he was just a few months old.

As a young man growing up in Rawthorpe he had been popular and well-liked.

His best friend, Maz Milenovic, met him at a summer playscheme seven years ago.

Mr Milenovic, said after Jermaine found Islam he became quieter and a deep thinker.

He added: "I remember hanging around at his house once and we were reading the Koran and talking about religion but he never preached to me.

"He would talk about doing the right thing and living the right way."

Fellow pupils at Rawthorpe High spoke of a Jermaine who was keen to prove his worth and authority.

Classmates talked about a Jermaine who used to compete in arm-wrestling contests and was a star in the soccer team.

After leaving school Jermaine embarked on training and also explored deeper into his faith.

He used chatrooms to speak to other Muslims.

When Samantha and Jermaine first met on line no-one, inside or outside the marriage which would develop, could imagine his name would soon become synonymous with hate and fear.
Huddersfield Local Paper

Feb 14 2006, 08:26 PM #6

JULIET BREMNER, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): The last image of Germaine or Jamal Lindsay as he entered Luton Station, explosives strapped to his back. But it's not one his mother can accept.

MARYAM MCLEOD, GERMAINE LINDSAY'S MOTHER: The picture that you see on the television, those are stolen pictures. I haven't seen a picture to clarify that's my son. I don't know that's my son.

BREMNER: But there seems little doubt that the teenager she last saw in August 2004 is the King's Cross bomber.

MCLEOD: I respected and admired him so very much.

BREMNER: Speaking from her home in Granada, Maryam McLeod struggles to accept the transformation from devoted son to terrorist.

MCLEOD: He was so mature. And he was so sincere, and so loving.

BREMNER: She described her son, who was following her example when he converted to Islam, as a loving brother, husband, and father.

MCLEOD: I'm still in shock and know not how to grieve for my son. Therefore, I grieve first for the victims, the ones who are dead, and ones who are alive. I grieve for the mothers and fathers, for the individuals who are now possibly traumatized by the visions of death and horror. BREMNER: Condemning the events on July the 7th, she says she's now praying that her son may now be forgiven.

Juliet Bremner, ITV News.

CNN Transcript
"We are not democrats for, among other reasons, democracy sooner or later leads to war and dictatorship. Just as we are not supporters of dictatorships, among other things, because dictatorship arouses a desire for democracy, provokes a return to democracy, and thus tends to perpetuate a vicious circle in which human society oscillates between open and brutal tyranny and a lying freedom." - Errico Malatesta, Democracy and Anarchy 1924

Feb 14 2006, 08:55 PM #7

Meanwhile, relatives of the man Scotland Yard believes bombed the train Levy was on told a television station in Boston, Massachusetts, they were "devastated" by reports suggesting that their grandson was involved.

"I don't know what to think," said Stella Coleman-McLeod, the step-grandmother of 19-year-old Germaine Lindsay. If media reports are accurate, she said, "I'm devastated."

Lindsay's grandfather, Austin McLeod, told a reporter that it's hard for him to believe his grandson was capable of such an act, especially since the British-Jamaican, who had converted to Islam, was a family man.

"To have a young baby and have his wife pregnant, and to go out and do that kind of terrible crime, to take other people's life, I don't believe he grew up in any environment to do something like that," he told WHDH-TV Saturday.

In Britain, Lindsay's half-sister, said she's not convinced he had anything to do with the bombings.

"I want proof to say that it was him. I want proof of something that has actually happened to say that it was him," said Dana Reid. "Because I don't think it is."

CNN
Strangely, on the same day, as part of an interview for the the Sunday Mirror with Lindsay's stepfather, Barry Reid, Dana is quoted as saying:
"He was the only person I trusted. I loved him. But after he converted, he changed. He was moody and kept saying America was bad."
Sunday Mirror 17.07.05 'Made into a Monster' by Simon Wright & Andy Gardner (This article was not made available online)

That last statement also seems converse to an interview given by Lindsay's Mother in the Mail on Sunday, also on July 17th where she said:
"After September 11, I was devastated and so was Germaine. We cried for all the people who died and wondered how Muslims could do this."
Mail on Sunday 17.07.05 'A killer, but my son wept for victims of the 9/11 attacks' by Sharon Churcher (This article was not made available online)
"We are not democrats for, among other reasons, democracy sooner or later leads to war and dictatorship. Just as we are not supporters of dictatorships, among other things, because dictatorship arouses a desire for democracy, provokes a return to democracy, and thus tends to perpetuate a vicious circle in which human society oscillates between open and brutal tyranny and a lying freedom." - Errico Malatesta, Democracy and Anarchy 1924