Mexico

Latin America watch forum.

Mexico

amirrortotheenemy

23 Jul 2015, 00:22 #1

New 'Spectre' Trailer Takes James Bond to Mexico City

by George Szalai, Abid Rahman 7/22/2015 12:25am PDT
"It was me, James, the author of all your pain."

A new trailer for Spectre, the 24th James Bond film, was released Wednesday, and we see Bond (Daniel Craig) get up to all sorts of bother in Mexico City and then Rome, where he meets the sultry Lucia Sciarra (Monica Bellucci), described as a "beautiful and forbidden widow of an infamous criminal."

We see Bond do what he does best — namely: blow things up, drive rather fast and recklessly in glamorous locales, smooch the girl, and then seemingly infiltrate the supersecret organization Spectre.

From the trailer, it appears 007 is up against a malevolent Christoph Waltz, who very helpfully informs him that: "It was me, James, the author of all your pain."

The new trailer for the 24th James Bond film also includes a brief glimpse of Ralph Fiennes, Lea Seydoux, Ben Whishaw as Q, wrestler Dave Bautista and Naomie Harris.

Spectre hits theaters on Nov. 6. Watch the trailer below.

Code: Select all

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/spectre-james-bond-trailer-takes-810375
"No one understood better than Stalin that the true object of propaganda is neither to convince nor even to persuade, but to produce a uniform pattern of public utterance in which the first trace of unorthodox thought immediately reveals itself as a jarring dissonance." Leonard Schapiro

amirrortotheenemy

23 Jul 2015, 00:28 #2

TUESDAY 21 JULY 2015  Mexico , World
Guerrero: the monster in the mountains

On September 26, 2014, 43 trainee teachers were taken into custody by police in Iguala, a small city in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero. None has been seen or heard from since.

Although the Mexican government officially closed its investigation, the remains of only one student, Alexander Mora Venancio, 19, has subsequently been identified, writes US photo-journalist Matt Black.

"I think the devil is punishing Mexico with great fury," Pope Francis said in an interview broadcast six months after the students' disappearance.

But for Guerrero, which suffers Mexico's highest murder rate and is the second poorest state in the country, the devil must be saving a special rage: in the hills above Iguala, the search for the missing students has revealed a landscape littered with clandestine graves, which are thought to contain the remains of at least 400 local people reported as disappeared.

Galvanised by the loss of the students and enraged by officials' alleged complicity in their disappearance, scores of armed self-defence groups in the state's rural villages have stepped up their patrols.

My photography in Guerrero started by way of California's Central Valley, the rural agricultural area where I live. An increase in migration from indigenous, southern Mexico has transformed the small towns and farm fields of California's middle.

Through my project The People of Clouds, I have sought to document the sources and causes of this new face of migration.

Initially, my work in Guerrero focused on the extreme poverty in the regions of La Montana and the Costa Chica, where the state's indigenous population is concentrated.Halfway through my work, the forty-three students went missing.

To be admitted to the teacher training school in Ayotzinapa, students must demonstrate that they come from impoverished backgrounds. After their training, the 43 young men were meant to return as full-fledged teachers to their communities. Instead, they were "disappeared".

In these communities, "the tragedy of Mexico is condensed", says Abel Barrera, a human rights advocate based in the town of Tlapa de Comonfort. "Here in the mountains, you live with the demons."

Additional video: Cesar Rodriguez Becerra
Additional sound: Felix Blume, Mark DiAngelo
Editors: Uwe H Martin and Frauke Huber
Concept, photography and sound: Matt Black/Magnum Photoes
A Bombay Flying Club production for Channel 4 News
Matt Black's reporting in Guerrero was supported by the Pulitzer Center on Crisis Reporting

http://www.channel4.com/news/guerrero-the-monster-in-the-mountains
"No one understood better than Stalin that the true object of propaganda is neither to convince nor even to persuade, but to produce a uniform pattern of public utterance in which the first trace of unorthodox thought immediately reveals itself as a jarring dissonance." Leonard Schapiro

amirrortotheenemy

23 Jul 2015, 00:44 #3

Mexico irked by Pope Francis' choice of word 'Mexicanization'
By Ben Brumfield, CNN
Updated 1601 GMT (0001 HKT) February 25, 2015

The Pope sent an email to a friend lamenting drug trafficking in his native Argentina
Mexico contacted a Vatican diplomat over the Pontiff's choice of terms
(CNN)The choice of a word by Pope Francis has drawn ire from Mexico's government. And on Wednesday, the Vatican told Mexico that the Pontiff meant no offense.

In a private email to a friend, Francis had lamented increased drug trafficking in his native Argentina, using the term "Mexicanization."

"Hopefully, we are still in time to avoid the 'Mexicanization.' I was talking to some Mexican bishops and it's a terrible situation," Francis allegedly wrote.

Mexico's chief diplomat took offense and said he would send a note of protest to the Pontiff over the term.

"We would like to express our sadness and concern about the statements made regarding a private letter from Pope Francis," said Foreign Minister Jose Antonio Meade.

The ministry also contacted a Vatican diplomat.

Diplomatic response

The Vatican's secretary of state responded Wednesday and admitted to Pope Francis' choice of words but said, "The Pope did not in any way intend to offend the Mexican population, for whom he holds special affection, nor to underestimate the commitment of the Mexican government in its fight against narco-trafficking."

The secretary said the expression was part of a "private and informal email" to a someone "who had used this phrase."

Drug battle
Mexican authorities have battled drug cartels for nearly 10 years, and more than 60,000 people have died in that fight, Human Rights Watch has said.

Mexico is the main supplier of marijuana and methamphetamine in the United States, and 90% of cocaine arriving in the country is trafficked through Mexico.

In recent years, according to Foreign Policy magazine, Mexican drug cartels have expanded their activities into Argentina.

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/02/25/americas/pope-francis-mexico-comments/