Liverpool Street / Aldgate / Aldgate East Blast

"We need an official inquiry - now. Not a whitewash inquiry like Lord Hutton's. Or a punch-pulling inquiry like Lord Butler's. But an inquiry run by plain Mr or Mrs somebody." - Lt. Col. Crispin Black
An independent, public discussion, analysis and inquiry into the events of July 7th.

Liverpool Street / Aldgate / Aldgate East Blast

27 Dec 2005, 23:50 #1

Tube at Aldgate

"I got off the train, walked off about five paces. There was a huge, I mean a huge, explosion which appeared to come from the back end of the train or the tunnel. Everybody just froze - what the hell's going on? Then everybody walked out of the station quite calmly ... There was no pushing. I went upstairs and got out. It was then you think how lucky you are."
Michael Searle, had just got off a Circle Line train from Victoria to Liverpool Street

"I was on the train and there was a sudden jolt forward ... There was a really hard banging from the carriage next door to us after the explosion - that's where it happened. There was a fire beside me. I saw flames outside on the window of my carriage ... I saw bodies. I think some people may have died."
Sarah Reid, at Aldgate
Source: The Guardian
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

"Truth does not fear investigation." -- Unknown

24 Jan 2006, 11:14 #2

An interesting article from the South London Press dated 8/7/05 refers to TWO trains at Aldgate, one leaving ALDGATE EAST station:
'Hidden holdall bomb' causes carnage

Jul 8 2005

Exclusive By Ben Ashford

A SINGLE blast from a bomb hidden inside a holdall tore a massive hole in two Tube trains, the South London Press can reveal.

A counter-terrorism source told us the device was probably left on the floor of a train leaving Aldgate East Underground station.

It was operated by remote control to explode at precisely the moment another train was passing in the opposite direction.

It is thought the blast - shortly before 9am - ripped through the shell of the carriage and tore a hole in the oncoming train.

The casualty toll from both trains was expected to be high.

Our source said: "It was utter carnage inside both trains. There were limbs scattered everywhere.

"We've never seen anything like this."

* POLICE were yesterday probing reports a man had been "neutralised" outside Canary Wharf.

Is is believed the man was shot dead by police marksmen outside the Credit Suisse First Boston bank.

Other unconfirmed reports suggested the attacks were the work of a co-ordinated team of suicide bombers.

EVERY hospital in South London was put on emergency alert after the terror attacks.

Routine appointments were cancelled and all staff were on standby to deal with casualties.

Twenty blast victims were treated at Guy's and St Thomas' in Waterloo, three of which were critically injured. Most of the victims were being treated for smoke inhalation, burns and serious limb and chest injuries.

Extra beds were set aside for casualties.

South London Press reporter Clare Casey was at St Thomas' early yesterday morning.

She said: "There was an announcement around 12.30pm to say they were evacuating the hospital and all routine appointments were cancelled, but staff were told to stay.

"I didn't know what was happening. When I went outside there were ambulances and police everywhere and police boats were zooming up and down the river."

At Millwall FC's Den stadium in Zampa Road, Bermondsey, a conference for London Ambulance staff was cancelled to let paramedics get to the scene of the carnage.

A spokesman for Guy's and St Thomas' NHS Trust said: "We instigated the trust's major incident plan just after 9am following the explosions.

"So far we have received eight patients, some of which are critically injured and a number of walking wounded.

"We are also freeing up beds to ensure we are prepared for further casualties."

Buses were later sent out from Catford garage to help ferry stranded commuters out of central London.
http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.uk/01 ... _page.html
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

25 Jan 2006, 23:05 #3

On the 6th of December I wrote to TfL about train 235 which was moving from Algate East to Liverpool Street.
Hi Fola

A Tfl press release on 7th July 2005 mentioned a Hammersmith & City Line
train heading toward Liverpool Street:

14:25 Transport for London Update

Latest information confirms that there were four incidents on London's
transport network this morning, three on London Underground and one on
London Buses.

At 09:46, the London Underground was suspended and all stations
commenced evacuation following incidents at:

* Aldgate station heading towards Liverpool Street station on the
        Hammersmith & City line;
      * Russell Square station heading towards Kings Cross station on
        the Piccadilly line;
      * Edgware Road station heading towards Paddington station on the
        Hammersmith & City line.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... p?prID=411

Was this Hammersmith & City Line train train number 235?

Did train 235 derail?

Which carriages of train 235 were damaged?

Were passengers on train 235 injured?

Yours

XXXXXX
On the 9th of January I received the reply:
Our ref: 1084546

01/Jan/2006

Dear Mr XXXXXX

Thank you for contacting us about the events of 7 July.  Your request has
been considered under the Freedom of information Act 2005.

I can confirm that train 235 was not the train referred to.  Train 235 was
not derailed, there was no damage to this train and no passengers were
injured.

Yours sincerely

Fola Olafare
Customer Service Centre
Follow the numbers.

26 Jan 2006, 11:23 #4

I'm posting some of the discussion from a London Transport forum re: Aldgate/Aldgate East:
Re: London Transport Bombings
« Reply #307 on Jul 9, 2005, 10:21pm »
Actually I used the District today & have a question

I understand the two trains sitting at Aldgate are "A" stock & I understand these weren't involved in the incident, one had the door on the front of the drivers cabin open for some reason.

I noticed a C Stock on the H&C tracks sitting there just before you can't see the track no more & also a C stock at Liverpool Street in the platform. Was any of these part of the incident?

From what I understand one 73 stock & four C stock were effected in the blasts, is this correct?
ALL 3 blasts occurred between 0850 and 0851 on the 7/7/05
(I myself thought it was strange that there was a 26 minute gap between the Aldgate and Edgware Road blasts as the train involved in the Edgware Road incident would have been in the Aldgate area 26 minutes prior to the blast in peak hours - so it wouldn't have got past Aldgate as the train involved in the Aldgate blast would have prevented it from doing so - doors were blasted onto the adjacent track.)
TIME LINE AND LOCATION

08:50 - Train 204: Circle Line from Liverpool St to Aldgate - 200 yards out of Liverpool St
(This was NOT a Met/H&C train nor one travelling from Aldgate (East) to Liverpool St)

08:50+few seconds - Train 311: Piccadilly Line from KCSP to Russell Sq - 100 yards out of KCSP

08:50:50 - Train 216: Circle Line from Edgware Rd to Paddington - just outside Edgware Rd
09:47 - Bus 30: Tavistock Square, outside BMA building.
Jul 10, 2005, 2:51pm, tubefreak wrote:

TIME LINE AND LOCATION
08:50 - Train 204: Circle Line from Liverpool St to Aldgate - 200 yards out of Liverpool St
(This was NOT a Met/H&C train nor one travelling from Aldgate (East) to Liverpool St)

I've noticed that the news kept on showing Aldgate station affected and not Liverpool Street... So would it be nearer to Aldgate instead of Liv St?
« Reply #331 on Jul 10, 2005, 3:39pm »
TIME LINE AND LOCATION

I've noticed that the news kept on showing Aldgate station affected and not Liverpool Street... So would it be nearer to Aldgate instead of Liv St? Or is the news showing the wrong things
Several sources are all contradictory to each other. I have read in several newspapers that the train was a Met from Aldgate - Liv St, a H&C from Liv St - Aldgate East, but eyewitnesses say it was an outer Circle.

The 200 yards seems to be consistent with all sources so that is what I have said. If that is wrong, fair enough - I think that the papers have messed up on this one BIG TIME!
« Reply #333 on Jul 10, 2005, 3:57pm »
Jul 10, 2005, 2:56pm, Stooopid_person wrote:
I've noticed that the news kept on showing Aldgate station affected and not Liverpool Street... So would it be nearer to Aldgate instead of Liv St? Or is the news showing the wrong things
The photo released shows the train on the pointwork approaching Aldgate
Tfl have released a number of screen shots from the TrackerNet system.

For those who don't know TrackerNet is a system which currently mimics the Baker Street SCC computer so that staff and customers can find out where trains are. It is also in use on the Northern and Victoria and parts of other lines. It is used to display the estimated time of arrival on the tubes website.

Edgware Road

The following shows Inner Rail 216 at Baker Street:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... t-4-lo.jpg

The train then departs and arrives in Edgware Road platform with the station starter showing a green aspect. Notice the train showing 000 departing Paddington:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... t-5-lo.jpg

The final image shows Inner Rail 216 at Signal OP11s/12s, where the train is now being swarmed over by forensics. The train showing 000 has also been affected although I'm not sure to what extent. This train has been moved backwards towards Paddington where it currently rests presumably because of damaged pointwork at Edgware Road.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... t-6-lo.jpg

Aldgate / Liverpool Street

Here we see Outer Rail 204 approaching Liverpool Street eastbound:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... t-1-lo.jpg

Here we see Southbound 432 enter platform 3 at Aldgate and 204 waiting for the line to clear at Liverpool Street.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... t-2-lo.jpg

The third image appears as if the computer has lost the plot after the explosion.

It appears to me that 204 had the signal to enter platform 1 at Aldgate. Also 447 had the signal to head northbound. I passed the Aldgate area yesterday and Westbound 235 is sat on the North curve, in what looks like its normal stopping position, so the computer is wrong in the fact that it is showing the train passed signal OB22. Looking at Northbound 447 it appears as if its about 1/2 a car out of the platform. The train 204 would be visible from the driving cab of 447.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... t-3-lo.jpg

I hope this pieces together a few things for everyone.

Images "© Transport for London 2005".
« Reply #335 on Jul 10, 2005, 5:40pm »
Jul 9, 2005, 10:21pm, Johnny1989 wrote:

I understand the two trains sittign at Aldgate are "A" stock & I understand these weren't involved in the incident, one had the door on the front of the drivers cabin open for some reason.

I noticed a C Stock on the H&C tracks sitting there just before you can't see the track no more & also a C stock at Liverpool Street in the platform. Was any of these part of the incident?
The A60s in platforms 2 &3 at Aldgate were not involved in the incident.
The C stock train on the North Curve west of Aldgate East is not involved in the incident.
« Reply #341 on Jul 10, 2005, 10:17pm »
Jul 9, 2005, 10:21pm, Johnny1989 wrote:

I understand the two trains sittign at Aldgate are "A" stock & I understand these weren't involved in the incident, one had the door on the front of the drivers cabin open for some reason.

The C stock train on the North Curve west of Aldgate East is not involved in the incident.
What about the one sitting in the Westbound platform at Liverpool Street?
« Reply #350 on Jul 11, 2005, 9:26pm »
So that means altogether 4 trains were damaged? 1 Picc, 2 Edgware Rd, 1 Aldgate?

I heard three were damaged at Edgware Road, the one that had the bomb & two that were sitting in platforms at Edgware Road. I also heard that a tunnel wall came down in this, is this correct??
« Reply #411 on Jul 16, 2005, 11:22pm »

From what I've heard. Train 204 was moved into Liverpool Street eastbound platform last night to allow the roof to be cut off the damaged car, it then went back into the tunnel, ready to be moved later.
« Reply #412 on Jul 16, 2005, 11:32pm »
t
Jul 16, 2005, 11:22pm, Motorman wrote:
From what I've heard. Train 204 was moved into Liverpool Street eastbound platform last night to allow the roof to be cut off the damaged car, it then went back into the tunnel, ready to be moved later.

Why did they have to cut the roof off?
« Reply #415 on Jul 17, 2005, 12:51pm »
Jul 16, 2005, 11:08pm, Johnny1989 wrote:

What has happend so far I have heard that the "Number 30" bus has been moved on, What about the SSL & Pic Lines
Edgware Road, the rear 4 cars have been moved back and are currently fouling 13 points. The incident car and the leading cab are still unmoved.

Liverpool Street, during the day yesterday they moved 211 from the westbound platform up to Neasden. That was the "emergency engineering work" that terminated the Met Service at KX.

They also moved the 6 cars of the incident train back to the eastbound platform as Motorman said, I am not sure however, if the train actually got to Acton works last night but I shall let you know when I get in to work later today.
« Reply #420 on Jul 18, 2005, 2:05am »

So the A stock in Acton Town a couple of nights back was one of the trains involved in the incidents? I didn't see much it was dark but the lights in the carraiges were on
« Reply #421 on Jul 18, 2005, 2:14am »
So the A stock in Acton Town a couple of nights back was one of the trains involved in the incidents? I didn't see much it was dark but the lights in the carraiges were on.
No A stock involved in the incident, two A stocks still stuck in the platforms at Aldgate though.
« Reply #422 on Jul 18, 2005, 9:09am »
Jul 18, 2005, 2:05am, darthcjc wrote:
So the A stock in Acton Town a couple of nights back was one of the trains involved in the incidents? I didn't see much it was dark but the lights in the carraiges were on.
Sure it wasnt a C stock ? As i didnt think there was any 'stranded' A stock
« Reply #423 on Jul 18, 2005, 9:54am »

(tries to wrok out ability to mistake C stock ofr A stock)

the corperate livery maybe....redsteel
« Reply #426 on Jul 19, 2005, 2:33am »
tries to wrok out ability to mistake C stock ofr A stock)

the corperate livery maybe....
In the dark? From a moving train? It was probably C stock however I remember luggage racks.
« Reply #459 on Jul 21, 2005, 3:00pm »

The Aldgate/Aldgate East area is completely clear of trains now, all stranded trains have been removed.
How did they get the train out? By pushing? Craning?
The train(s) two A60s and one C stock were pulled out by ballast loco's.
« Reply #480 on Jul 26, 2005, 10:00am »
Hi, I am new, and slightly off-topic regarding the moves you are discussing. I'm former BR LMR civil engineering staff.

Congratulations to all on LUL for the way in which you responded to the terrible events of 7/7. My thoughts are with all those who lost loved ones, those who were injured and with any LUL staff injured or traumatised.

On the topic of the bombings, according to reports in the press, at least two trains are alleged to have derailed as a result: one at Edgware Road and the train between Russell Sq and KGX.

Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, the cause of the derailments?

Is there any indication of a derailment or damage to track or bogey at the incident near Aldgate East?
« Reply #480 on Jul 26, 2005, 10:00am »
On the topic of the bombings, according to reports in the press, at least two trains are alleged to have derailed as a result: one at Edgware Road and the train between Russell Sq and KGX.

Does anyone know if this is true? And if so, the cause of the derailments?

Is there any indication of a derailment or damage to track or bogey at the incident near Aldgate East?
There were no derailments, but there was some damage to track cables and tunnel.
Interesting. Is that official then, no derailments?

Sir Ian Blair stated there were difficulties at KGX due to damage to the tunnel and because the train had derailed.

Do you think he is related to Tony?
« Reply #497 on Jul 28, 2005, 10:39pm »

Jul 28, 2005, 1:03pm, JN114 wrote:
one thing that has occoured while looking at the photo of the 73TS, its going to be very difficult to move, the roof is wedged into the beams supporting the tunnel, i suppose they plan to remove all the other coaches and cut htis one free...
The train has already been removed, the damaged car was removed 2 nights ago.
London Transport Forum
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

14 May 2006, 14:00 #5

Evacuation to Aldgate, not Liverpool Street
By now it was 8.50am, so I went down into the Underground and got on a Circle-line train. I held the pole with my back to the double doors, which closed, then opened up again for a couple of seconds, then closed again. I only knew later that my carriage was next to the one where the bomb went off. Twenty seconds after the train started, there was a massive blast — really, really loud. Outside, sparks and flames burnt up the side of the carriage. Inside, the lights had gone out and it was thick, musty smoke. I was panicking and crying. I thought I was going to burn to death. Someone shouted: "Help! We're dying!" I think several people were killed at that moment.

Everywhere I looked I could see people bleeding and covered in bits of glass: a blind man lying next to me, a very pregnant lady who was actually trying to calm someone, a man with bits of glass all over his face and head. Some people were screaming in agony; others were quite composed; one woman was hysterical.

A passenger called for everyone to get down on the floor, where there was more air. When I fell on the floor, glass was everywhere, cutting my knees. At first I was crying, then I calmed down. I saw this girl, Christine, who seemed to be on her own, like me, and I stayed next to her. The bomb had gone off in the next carriage. Most of those people were very badly hurt. Some were killed. We were there, like that, for 40 minutes.

Eventually the doors opened and we were led by fire brigade and Tube staff out of the carriage and around the bombed carriage. We saw terrible things: a woman sat with her knee up — she may have lost her leg — and her clothes ripped off, crying her eyes out. A man's head was just a mass of blood. I think I saw dismembered limbs and bodies — I'm not sure. Christine said: "Don't look." I looked quickly, then looked away. By that time, fire and Underground staff had managed to get into the tunnel, and they lifted us down onto the track. Nearby, two dead bodies were lying with their heads down, all black. I think they'd been burnt.

I held Christine's hand and we started walking down the track in single file. I thought there'd be rats in the tunnel, but I didn't see any.
Eventually we got out onto the platform. It was now about 9.40, and we all gave our details to the police. My phone wasn't working, so Christine gave me hers and I called my sister. I got through quickly. I just cried when I heard her voice, and said: "There's been an explosion." She said: "Stay there. I'll come and find you." Half an hour later, Christine had called her mum, spoken to the police, and was in a taxi on her way home to Guildford.

I was now on my own. As I walked down the street, ambulances and police sirens were everywhere, but I knew Sarah was on her way. I saw a big widescreen television in a tiny cafe, with the news. As I watched, I realised it was the news of the bombing at Aldgate — where I was.
Jack Linton
Sunday Times
Follow the numbers.

17 May 2006, 21:21 #6

There are many inaccurate accounts of the Aldgate bomb. I was on a Circle Line train that I joined at Kings Cross and we were between Liverpool Street and Aldgate when the bomb went off. I was in the second last carriage the lights went out on the train but there was light in the tunnel, we did not know what had happened but there was some smoke, a man opened a connecting door and told us that there was a lot of smoke further up the train and could we move down to the rear, passengers came into our carriage from the ones with the smoke. There were some awful screams of help from the front of the train someone said there were dead people up there, then LT staff appeared on the track and told us to exit the rear of the train, as we were doing this we were told to stand aside and let injured people out. Once outside the train we walked up the track to Aldgate station past the carriage were the bomb was - there were obviously some dead and some very badly injured passengers, we could do nothing for them we were told to exit the station as soon as possible. The LT staff and emergency services were on the site within ten minutes and the evacuation was well organised especially as there were many dazed and confused passengers.
Richard Sage, Stamford, England
BBC
No evacuation to Liverpool Street.
Follow the numbers.

17 May 2006, 22:09 #7

What happened at Liverpool Street?
I had just got on tube at Liverpool street and just before the doors shut, an explosion went off in the next carriage. Lights went out and people calmly left the tube. There was smoke coming from the carriage. On my alternative route to work, I walked up Southampton Row when I heard another explosion and people running in a panic from Russell Square.
Michael Dunn, London
I had just got on to the westbound Circle Line train, second rear carriage, at Liverpool St. Station. The explosion seemed to come out of the tunnel leading from Aldgate. There was dust and smoke in the air. I thought a bomb had gone off in the rear carriage but couldn't see any damage to it. Then people started to evacuate quickly after a few moments. I didn't see any injured people though. There was no real panic - just a overwhelming sense to get out of the station quickly.
Michael Wren, North Fambridge, Essex
I was at the station when the explosion happened. I had just arrived on the east bound circle/district line station at Liverpool Street. As usual I walked down to the far left hand side of the platform. I had only been there for a minute or two when a train pulled up on the other side platform(westbound). The doors opened and as everyone was starting to get off, I saw a few lights starting to flicker overhead and then there was an explosion on the opposite side to me, just behind the train that had just pulled in. As you can imagine there were quite a few people panicking and quite a number of people started screaming and running towards the exit. I had a quick glance behind me as I was leaving to see some smoke coming from the area where the explosion had happened. The station was evacuated fairly quickly.
Lee Rogers, UK
I was getting off the west bound central line at Liverpool street station at about 8.50. Halfway up the escalator, I felt the stairs shake a little and then there was a cloud of smoke that shot up from underneath the stairs. The alarm went off and people went crazy and just run out of the station.
Jota Branco, London
I was on the train at Liverpool Street station when there was a huge bang. The train shook slightly and the lights went out. Everyone was told to hurry out of the station, but no-one was told what was happening. I walked to another station to find that too had been closed. It was actually very frightening.
Anonymous
BBC
Follow the numbers.