Letter to my MP and reply

A forum for the publication of independent public research conducted by J7 Independent People's Inquiry Forum Members and J7 RELEASE THE EVIDENCE Activists and Campaigners in the joint quest to get to the truth behind what really happened on July 7th 2005. Post your Freedom of Information requests, the responses, and official communications with other bodies and representatives of state and corporate entities here.

Letter to my MP and reply

17 May 2006, 12:13 #1

Here's my letter I wrote on Monday...
Monday 15 May 2006

Dear John Penrose,

As one of your constituents, I am writing to ask if you will be attending the presentation of the film 'Loose Change' which is being arranged by Michael Meacher MP. It will be shown at the Houses of Parliament on June 14th. If you have not already seen this film, I strongly urge you to attend this screening. The film contains compelling evidence which raises serious questions regarding the
official version of the events of September 11th. Please see also 'The New Pearl Harbor' by David Ray Griffin, the foreword of which was written by Michael Meacher.

Having thoroughly read and analysed both the ISC report and the Government narrative of the events of July 7th in London, I am dismayed to find them as full of omissions and unexplained anomalies as the Keane Commission report into 9/11. For example, the narrative states that the four accused men travelled from Luton to London on a train (the 0740) that eyewitnesses at Luton station say did not run that morning and that the Communications Manager for Thameslink Rail confirmed was cancelled. The narrative even states there were witnesses on the train who believe they saw the men, yet no such train ran, so it is hard to see how this can be factual.
This is just one example of a scenario stated within the narrative which simply could not have occurred. There are many more. If easily verifiable facts are not checked, then it is difficult to have faith in the veracity of the narrative.

I am co-editor of a website - http://www.julyseventh.co.uk -which aims to provide a comprehensive analysis of the evidence which exists in the public domain so far and justification for the full, independent inquiry which the British public have been denied. Myself and my co-editors and researchers are extremely concerned that we are not being given a cohesive account of the events of July 7th and why they happened.
I would appreciate it if you would take the time to look at our website and the results of the research we have undertaken so far. Whether or not you have made up your mind personally about who committed these atrocities, I hope you will see that a need for the truth most certainly exists for the sake of the victims, the survivors and everybody affected by what happened that day.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Yours sincerely,

Beverley Martin BSc (Hons)
http://www.julyseventh.co.uk/index.html
And here's what he said in reply:
Thank you for emailing me about the events of 11 September 2001 and 7 July 2005. My thoughts and prayers are with all those who lost their lives and their families, and I pay tribute to the men and women of our emergency services who coped so heroically on those terrible days.

I'm aware that many people strongly feel that there should be a full public inquiry into the 7 July bombings. The Home Secretary announced last December, however, that the Government does not propose to hold a public inquiry. Instead, a senior civil servant was to set out a 'narrative' account of what happened before and around 7 July.

I'd agree with you that this fell short of what is needed. This narrative and the ISC report raised more questions than it answered. I would like to see a proper inquiry, independent of Government. It should, in my view, be free to ask questions about issues such as the surveillance of the suspects before the attack and links between home-grown and international terrorists. I will therefore be keeping up my pressure on the Government to hold such an inquiry, and I hope the July Seventh Truth Campaign will help to push them to do so.

I'm afraid I'm occupied with constituency engagements on 14 June which means I can't watch Loose Change , but my researcher will be attending on my behalf. If there are any other issues you'd like to bring up in future, please feel free to contact me again.

"We are not democrats for, among other reasons, democracy sooner or later leads to war and dictatorship. Just as we are not supporters of dictatorships, among other things, because dictatorship arouses a desire for democracy, provokes a return to democracy, and thus tends to perpetuate a vicious circle in which human society oscillates between open and brutal tyranny and a lying freedom." - Errico Malatesta, Democracy and Anarchy 1924

07 Jun 2007, 10:27 #2

Dear John Penrose,

You visited my home on Saturday 19th May when you were out visiting constituents and spoke briefly to my husband. I was very disappointed to have missed you myself, but I was in Bristol that morning, listening to Moazzam Begg talk about his experiences as a British citizen kidnapped in Pakistan, taken to Afghanistan and then Guantanamo Bay to be tortured and abused by US soldiers and interrogated by US and UK intelligence and denied access to legal representation. He was not told what crime he was accused of committing and was offered no explanation or apology upon his release. You can read an interview with Moazzam Begg here:

http://www.cageprisoners.com/articles.php?id=19260

I am very concerned at the use of torture by the US military, which is evidently sanctioned by the UK government, since their agents knew exactly what was happening to Moazzam Begg and other British citizens and refused to intervene. It’s not just British citizens I am concerned about, but British residents, and in fact all of the men who have been detained apparently for no other 'crime' than being Muslim. If the West wants to bring peace to the world, then the West should act peacefully.

You might remember that I wrote to you about a year ago, to tell you about J7, the July 7th Truth Campaign and our website, which has expanded considerably in the last year:

http://www.julyseventh.co.uk/

Since I wrote to you, we had an article covering our campaign in the Guardian G2 supplement entitled 'Seeing isn't believing', to which I was given the opportunity to respond in the Guardian’s CommentIsFree section:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... 74,00.html

Just a few days after these articles were published, Dr. John Reid announced to Parliament that  the Official Report into the London bombings was indeed flawed, as we had stated, citing specifically the error of the cancelled train from Luton to King’s Cross, which the report stated that the suspected bombers travelled on. Dr. Reid also
stated that he was aware of other errors in the report which would be corrected. To date, this has not occurred. In August 2006 we started a petition asking for the evidence which proved the Official Report beyond doubt to be released, since the public have been denied an independent inquiry. To date, our petition has almost 1300 signatures.

http://www.petitiononline.com/j7truth/petition.html

You said in your response to me that you wanted to see a "full public inquiry" into the July 7th attacks. Under the legislation I mentioned in my Guardian article, namely the 2005 Inquiries Act, it is clear that such an inquiry would be unlikely to give the public any further answers than the speculative account we have already been offered. The  IA2005, as you probably know, was brought about in part in response to the Finucane Family Campaign’s call for a full and independent inquiry into the brutal murder of Pat Finucane in 1989. In the aftermath of his killing, evidence emerged that police and military intelligence agents had colluded with Loyalist paramilitaries in his murder, as well as allegations of an official cover-up of such collusion.

Amnesty International has called for judges to boycott of all inquiries under the IA2005, specifically in support of Pat Finucane's widow and case, and has also demanded that the act be repealed. To date, the UK government has not been able to identify any judge willing to take on the inquiry under the flawed terms of the Inquiries Act.

The Act ensures that no inquiry can be independent, since the government will effectively be investigating itself, which is neither independent, nor public. The government stated in the aftermath of the July 7th attacks that the perpetrators were 'clean skins', a statement which was blown out of the water at the conclusion of the Crevice trial where it was shown that MI5 had prior knowledge of two of the suspected July 7th bombers, who had been under close surveillance. This is in direct contradiction to the statement made by the then Home Secretary Charles Clarke who claimed that no intelligence had been missed and that the July 7th attacks came out of the blue.

Mr. Tony Blair stood in Parliament on December 14th 2005 and referring to the July 7th attacks said, "I do accept that the people want to know exactly what happened - and we will make sure that they do", that "we will publish a full account of all the information we have" and that "we will bring together all the evidence that we have and publish it so that the people, the victims, and others can see exactly what
happened."
None of these promises were fulfilled by the Official Report, and since the overnment has ensured through the IA2005 that an independent inquiry will not be forthcoming, and Mr. Blair pronounced the notion of any kind of inquiry as a "ludicrous diversion", one has little option but to conclude that the promises were empty.

Due to this worrying issue, I continue to be concerned that based on a confused, erroneous account, the events of July 7th are used to justify the 'War on Terror', the continued demonisation of Muslims in this country and around the world, and the erosion of the civil liberties of all residents of the UK. We at J7 recently published an article outlining exactly how we are being forced to surrender our individual privacy and freedom of expression in a disturbing variety of ways, and on top of that, losing our rights to challenge these measures, which I hope you will take the time to look through here:

http://www.julyseventh.co.uk/july-7-art ... error.html

If I had been home when you called at my house, instead of listening in horror to the degrading experiences a British man was forced to endure in Guantanamo Bay, I would have discussed these issues with you, but since I was not, I decided to write to you now, and ask if you think that my concerns can be satisfactorily addressed.
I appreciate that you are very busy, and many thanks for taking the time to read.

Yours sincerely,

Beverley Martin
Dear Ms. Martin

Thank you for contacting me about US unofficial prisons, extraditing people to countries where they face torture ('extraordinary rendition') and the continuing injustice of Guanatamo Bay. I was interested that you'd been to listen to Moazzem [sic] Begg because I'm a member of a cross-party group in Parliament which is trying to get a fair trial for people incarcerated without charge or extradited to face torture. We've been briefed by Mr. Begg's lawyer about his and other similar cases.

Put simply, I believe that our approach to terrorism is authoritiarian and focusses on policing and military force while ignoring the question of what is convincing young Muslims to become extremists. The classic way to combat terrorism is through winning hearts and minds, as well as strong police action.

I'd also agree with you, as we both stated when we corresponded about this last year, that we need a full inquiry into the events of 11 September 2001 and 7 July 2005. The Government's reports so far raise more questions than they answered. I would like to see a proper inquiry, independent of Government. It should, in my view, be free to ask questions about issues such as the surveillance of the suspects before the attack and links between home-grown and international terrorists.

Yours sincerely,

John Penrose
"We are not democrats for, among other reasons, democracy sooner or later leads to war and dictatorship. Just as we are not supporters of dictatorships, among other things, because dictatorship arouses a desire for democracy, provokes a return to democracy, and thus tends to perpetuate a vicious circle in which human society oscillates between open and brutal tyranny and a lying freedom." - Errico Malatesta, Democracy and Anarchy 1924