Jean Charles de Menezes

In the aftermath of the murder, a cascade of misinformation and lies from the very top down. From Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair to the trigger-happy plain-clothes shooters identified only as "carrying a long-barrelled weapon", the actions that day have been exposed as a cover-up of the events that resulted in the extra-judicial execution of an innocent man.

Jean Charles de Menezes

The Antagonist

29 Mar 2007, 12:31 #1

Just spotted this on the font of errant knowledge, Wikipedia:
Jean Charles de Menezes (7 January 1978–22 July 2005) was a Brazilian electrician living illegally in the Tulse Hill area of south London. Menezes was shot and killed at Stockwell tube station on the London Underground by unnamed Metropolitan Police officers. Initially, police falsely claimed that he was wearing bulky clothing, had vaulted the ticket barriers and run from police. The government also issued information that he was staying in the UK illegally. It soon become clear that de Menezes did not vault and run from the police, but police did not correct the misinformation until the correct information was leaked to the press. They later issued an apology, saying that they had mistaken him for a suspect in the previous day's failed bombings and acknowledging that Menezes in fact had no explosives and was unconnected with the attempted bombings.
Since when was de Menezes in the country illegally? I thought this myth had been put to bed ages ago, yet there it is, in the first line about Jean Charles on his Wikipedia entry, followed by a line stating the government put the information out about him being in the country illegally, as if that was some sort of justification for the state extra-judicially executing anyone with 7 (the magic number) dum dum bullets in the head.

How does de Menezes living in Tulse Hill relate to this and the story that the police were following Osman from de Menezes' flats:
The six defendants in various combinations were well-known to each other before the summer of 2005.

At the time that we are principally concerned with four of the defendants were living in north London, one in south London and one in west London.

The four defendants living in north London were Ibrahim, Asiedu, Omar and Yahya. Omar's one bedroom council flat at 58 Curtis House, Ladders Wood Way, New Southgate, on the ninth floor. Omar had lived in that flat for some years and had friends who lift in another flat on the tenth floor . In the spring and early summer of 2005 Ibrahim, Asiedu and Yahya were also closely associated with Curtis House. Osman lived in south London in a ground-floor flat at 40 Blair House, just off Stockwell Road, not far from Stockwell Tube station.

10.50am: Mohammed lived in west London at flat 14 on the top floor of a small block of flats called block K on the Peabody estate in north Kensington.

source
40 Blair House, Stockwell Road is just over the road from Stockwell Station, so the notion that anyone was following Osman from Tulse Hill is an utter crock.

Also, it seems de Menezes had a history of being stopped by the police and had been attacked by a gang of white youths two weeks prior to his killing:
For de Menezes life in London was for the most part uneventful. He had been stopped by a [sic] police a few times as part of routine stop and search inquiries, once having his bag examined by officers outside Brixton tube station.

On each occasion the police had asked him to stop and he did so. However, on each occasion the officers concerned were in full uniform.

Two weeks before he was killed, de Menezes had been attacked by a gang of white youths, seemingly at random. According to friends this experience left him shaken and nervous.

Source: Death in Stockwell, The Unanswered Questions - The Observer
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

"Truth does not fear investigation." -- Unknown

The Antagonist

02 Apr 2007, 23:05 #2

From someone who claims to have met Jean Charles in the weeks prior to his shooting:
Jean Charles de Menezes 27
July 24, 2005

I met Jean last month in Guanabara- a Brazilian club in Holborn, through friends at my Capoeira class. I saw him there again the Saturday before he was shot, we exchanged a few words once more. On Friday 22/7 shortly after 10:00am he was pinned down by plainclothes policeman on the floor of a Northern line train at Stockwell tube station and shot in the head five times. I can’t say I knew him well, we talked about his time in the UK about his work as an electrician about pursuing women, the usual stuff. I think I bought him a drink, or maybe he bought me one. He seemed a good human being, I remember being impressed by his loyalty to his friends - he was very observant and sensitive to the people around him.

He was working legally as an electrician and had been in the UK for three years. He was resident in Brixton and had close friends in the Brazilian community. He was from Gonzaga in the State of Minas Gerais. Scotland Yard has stated he was “completely unconnected” with the attacks.

His English was good, but I wouldn’t say he was completely fluent. He was pursued by up to 20 normally dressed men who screamed at him in a language that was not his own. Jean comes from Brasil, a country where violent crime is a lot more ‘in your face’ than it is over here. A group of plainclothes men screaming at you, chasing you, you run. Brasilian police are known to shoot the public indiscriminantly, there was an incident last month - 30 killed. Maybe Jean had thoughts about this when he ran, I don’t know. Watch “Bus 174″.

I am shocked by this. It’s the first personal connection I’ve had to events and suddenly it comes into starker focus. What on Earth were the police thinking? Jean was so far removed from any terrorist links, so obviously not invloved. This ‘trigger happy’ event was a terrible error by the police and it seriously colours the impression I have of their ‘investigation’. Jean was an innocent young man, reacting with confusion to what sounds to me like police chaos and desperation. A shooting like this - and the manner in which it was carried out - is only justifiable in a situation of the utmost certainty. BBC article and photos of Jean.
Source: A Speaker's Corner.
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

The Antagonist

02 Apr 2007, 23:27 #3

A site dealing with the extra-judicial execution of an innocent man by hitherto unidentified killers, set-up by a Brazilian film-maker who has lived in London since 1994:

http://www.shoot-to-kill.com/

Edit: Includes photos of a vandalised Jean Charles memorial. 7/7 researchers may wish to note the familiar light blue colour of the paint used to vandalise the memorial, perhaps hinting at the perpetrators of the vandalism.

The Antagonist

03 Apr 2007, 00:09 #4

"I'll be late" was Jean's last words.

Jean was in the way to meet him for fixing a fire alarm in Kilburn. Mr Avila is the one who spoke in the telephone with Jean about 9:45 AM, when Jean said Brixton station was closed. If Jean was being followed as police alleged, then the police saw him talking in his cell phone. Besides, during the Friday, Gesio phoned Jean’s mobile many times, left message, sent text messages with no answer. Although Jean mobile was in police possession, and police said they were busy after the terrorists (and Jean was being considered to be one by Sir Ian Blair in his statements in that afternoon), no searches were doing for locating Mr. Gesio or talking to him immediately that day. By the time he was contacted by police by phone (about 1 a.m) they police said they “need to talk about something VERY URGENT, asking who he was and if was possible to have a meeting). Police came to Gesio’s house, they knew already the name of the victim, they told him they thought of Jean involved with the terror. And they said that “maybe” Jean was dead.
I have it on very good authority that the police had to be informed of Jean Charles' address AFTER his murder which is yet another piece of information that suggests the story about police tailing Jean Charles from his home in Tulse Hill is another fabrication in the long list of tall tales told since July 2005.

amirrortotheenemy

03 Apr 2007, 00:21 #5

Maybe they followed him from Corfe House, the Girma's home, where two men including a son-in-law were arrested on the 22nd. Corfe House and Abdi Omar's house on Portnall road were the scenes of the main or the only property raids on that day.
"No one understood better than Stalin that the true object of propaganda is neither to convince nor even to persuade, but to produce a uniform pattern of public utterance in which the first trace of unorthodox thought immediately reveals itself as a jarring dissonance." Leonard Schapiro

The Antagonist

03 Apr 2007, 00:41 #6

It's a possiblity although, given the various revelations in the ongoing story, it's rather difficult to believe that they followed him at all.

amirrortotheenemy

03 Apr 2007, 01:21 #7

If they didn't follow him then how did they go about selecting their victim?
"No one understood better than Stalin that the true object of propaganda is neither to convince nor even to persuade, but to produce a uniform pattern of public utterance in which the first trace of unorthodox thought immediately reveals itself as a jarring dissonance." Leonard Schapiro