ITN News top story last night

Keeping an eye on the media coverage of July 7th, and taking the media to task over their inaccuracies, mis-leading statements and distortions. Post all your complaints and responses here! If you spot inaccuracies in the media coverage, here's the place to tell us about it.

ITN News top story last night

16 Jun 2006, 09:06 #1

Don't know how many of you saw this last night but the top story on the ITN news was a guided tour of the 'bomb factory' and an interview with a neighbour. The neighbour's name is Sylvia Waugh, and she claims she saw the men loading up on the morning of July 7th.
"The morning of the July the 7th, where I saw 'em all, them getting into the vehicles to go, at that time, to bomb London, and I looked out and there were all these people getting into cars."
Later on in the interview she says:
"And this is on the July the 7th, where I saw 'em all, what I thought were dealing in drugs and it was them, getting into the vehicles to go at that time to bomb London. I saw 'em putting stuff into the boot of cars and I thought they were dealing in drugs - and I know they saw me from the window."
The reporter says:
Sylvia still questions whether the bombers were the only ones who knew of [the bomb factory's] presence.....
"The weekend of the July the 7th that I saw an old Asian lady clearing out some rubbish of number 18 from the other side and putting it into bin bags what were garden sacks what were full of I don't know what from the garden what they've been putting from the garden. I don't know who that lady was and I don't know who took the sacks but the sacks have gone."
The reporter stated that the Metropolitan police had released a statement 'in the last hour' confirming that they had spoken to Sylvia Waugh and that they were treating her as a very credible witness, saying that the information she has provided to them and to ITN news offered them an active line of enquiry.

I do not think this witness is credible; how could anyone? She claims that she "saw 'em all". Only three of the men allegedly left Leeds that morning, the other man supposedly from Aylesbury. How could she have seen them all? Who were "all these people getting into cars"? All these people?? Cars? Not three men and one car?

Once again, the report used the un-timestamped June 28th footage to illustrate their 'final murderous journey'. Absolutely disgusting.
"We are not democrats for, among other reasons, democracy sooner or later leads to war and dictatorship. Just as we are not supporters of dictatorships, among other things, because dictatorship arouses a desire for democracy, provokes a return to democracy, and thus tends to perpetuate a vicious circle in which human society oscillates between open and brutal tyranny and a lying freedom." - Errico Malatesta, Democracy and Anarchy 1924

16 Jun 2006, 10:57 #2

For consideration:
The Problem with Eyewitness Testimony

a talk by

Barbara Tversky, Professor of Psychology

and

George Fisher, Professor of Law

Laura Engelhardt

Stanford Law School, April 5, 1999.

In a presentation sponsored by the Stanford Journal of Legal Studies, George Fisher placed Barbara Tversky’s research on memory fallibility into the context of police investigations and jury verdicts, discussing the relevance of such research to our system of justice.

The bedrock of the American judicial process is the honesty of witnesses in trial. Eyewitness testimony can make a deep impression on a jury, which is often exclusively assigned the role of sorting out credibility issues and making judgments about the truth of witness statements.1 Perjury is a crime, because lying under oath can subvert the integrity of a trial and the legitimacy of the judicial system. However, perjury is defined as knowingly making a false statement—merely misremembering is not a crime.2 Moreover, the jury makes its determinations of witness credibility and veracity in secret, without revealing the reason for its final judgement.3  Recognizing the fallibility of witness memories, then, is especially important to participants in the judicial process, since many trials revolve around factual determinations of whom to believe. Rarely will a factual question result in a successful appeal—effectively giving many parties only one chance at justice. Arriving at a just result and a correct determination of truth is difficult enough without the added possibility that witnesses themselves may not be aware of inaccuracies in their testimony.

Several studies have been conducted on human memory and on subjects’ propensity to remember erroneously events and details that did not occur. Elizabeth Loftus performed experiments in the mid-seventies demonstrating the effect of a third party’s introducing false facts into memory.4  Subjects were shown a slide of a car at an intersection with either a yield sign or a stop sign. Experimenters asked participants questions, falsely introducing the term "stop sign" into the question instead of referring to the yield sign participants had actually seen. Similarly, experimenters falsely substituted the term "yield sign" in questions directed to participants who had actually seen the stop sign slide. The results indicated that subjects remembered seeing the false image. In the initial part of the experiment, subjects also viewed a slide showing a car accident. Some subjects were later asked how fast the cars were traveling when they "hit" each other, others were asked how fast the cars were traveling when they "smashed" into each other. Those subjects questioned using the word "smashed" were more likely to report having seen broken glass in the original slide. The introduction of false cues altered participants’ memories.

Source: Stanford Journal of Legal Studies or PDF version with references
Further reading of original news stories from around July 7th provides some indication of where 'false cues' were introduced by third parties that have led to false facts being introduced into memory, many of which have been repeated ad nauseam, despite evidence to the contrary.

This phenomenon is particularly notable in relation to both July 7th and the summary execution by state of Jean Charles de Meneze on July 22nd.
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

"Truth does not fear investigation." -- Unknown

16 Jun 2006, 11:06 #3

I posted this elsewhere...

The article avoids saying what time Sylvia saw them on 7/7 but she repeats she saw them the same morning they went and bombed London. Didn't the relatives of the accused say they travelled down on 6/7?

ITV FILM ALLEGED BOMB FACTORY IN LEEDS -

Emma Murphy reported. The Leeds accused were regular visitors to 18 Alexander Grove. I spoke to neighbours who are still trying to come to terms with a bomb factory in their midst. The Met Police say Syliva is a credible witness, they say there is no question of a fifth bomber but want to know where they got their support.
Sylvia is haunted by memories and regrets that she lived next door to the bomb factory in Leeds. People remember a terrible smell coming from the flat but Sylvia doesn't have a sense of smell so suspicions were never raid. We can take you inside 18 Alexander Grove. This is the bomb factory where Khan, Tanweer and Hussain built the bombs, it is thought they worked in bath but opened the windows because fumes were so strong, they taped up the net curtains. Fumes escaped and burnt the leaves of trees outside. One year on there is no trace of the bomb factory. Sylvia thinks there more people involved than the accused.

INTERVIEW: SYLVIA WAUGH, NEIGHBOUR - you'd never believe you have bombers on your doorstep, I saw them on July 7 getting into cars to bomb London. I thought they were dealing in drugs but they were going to bomb London, they were putting stuff in car boots and I thought they were dealing drugs. If only I could smell I could have done something. I should I have rung the police to say they were dealing. I saw an old Asian clearing out number 18 and filling garden sacks.
(Sylvia implies this old women linked to activities in 'bomb factory')

ITV MORNING NEWS 05:35 16 JUNE.

16 Jun 2006, 11:27 #4

Some more about the credibility of eye-witness statements:
1. It is significantly harder for a witness of a crime to recognize
a perpetrator who is wearing a hat during the
commission of a crime than a perpetrator who is not
wearing a hat.

2. A witness’s ability to recall minor details about a crime
is a good indicator of the accuracy of the witness’s identification
of the perpetrator of the crime.

3. An eyewitness’s perception and memory for an event
may be affected by his or her attitudes and expectations.

5. Eyewitness testimony about an event often reflects not
only what a witness actually saw but information
obtained later on.

11. The rate of memory loss for an event is greatest right
after an event and then levels off over time.
Source PDF: A Survey of Judges’ Knowledge and Beliefs About Eyewitness Testimony
All of which are particularly relevant in the set and setting of the world today.
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

16 Jun 2006, 12:14 #5

From a rather lengthy study by the New Zealand law commission, "Total Recall? The Reliability of Witness testimony":
THE THREE STAGES OF MEMORY

12 Many theories present memory as involving three stages:
acquisition, storage and recall. Processes involved with each stage
influence how accurately and completely any witnessed event will
later be recalled.

The first stage is acquisition, when information
is encoded in memory. This involves transferring the information
from “short-term” (working memory which holds information for
a few seconds) to “long-term” (more permanent) memory
(Gudjonsson, 1992:83). Processes relating to perception, attention
and understanding, including the stress or shock of an event or a
person’s expectations of what will happen, may influence what
information is encoded in memory and how well is it encoded

13 Second is the retention stage, the period of time that passes between
an event and the eventual recollection of a particular piece of
information. Once information enters memory, it may reside there
for a period of time before the witness attempts to retrieve it.
Psychological research indicates that stored information is
malleable and subject to change and distortion during this
retention stage. Memories may change simply as a function of time,
particularly following very long delays
. Also, the relationship
between memory and the retention interval is a “negatively
decelerating” one. This means memory retention drops off rapidly
at first and then the decay is much more gradual (Loftus, 1979/
1996:222). Memories may also change as a result of similar
intervening experiences, rehearsal of the event (for instance,
thinking and talking about it), and exposure to other information
about the event. Many factors which affect encoding also affect
the retention stage

14 Third is the retrieval stage, during which a person recalls the
information about the event. Recall is influenced by the cues
available to retrieve the memory
; for example, as provided by
questions, or physical cues such as photographs or a reinstatement
of the original context of the event. Recall is also affected by the
social context in which the person is asked to recall the
information
. Forgetting, that is, failure to retrieve information from
our memory, may indicate:

• failure to store information correctly;
• displacement of information;
• the memory trace has faded away or decayed with the passage
of time;
interference from later input which sounded similar and
impacted negatively on the short-term memory or information
which is semantically similar and interfered with information
stored in the long-term memory
;
• lack of appropriate retrieval cues.

Some psychologists hypothesise that some forgetting, for example
of traumatic events, may be caused by mechanisms other than those
related to ordinary forgetting. This is particularly relevant to the
debate concerning “recovered” memories, see chapter 5. Retention
and retrieval stages recur with each instance of recall or reporting.

15 Therefore, the accuracy and comprehensiveness of any person’s
recall, depends on factors such as the personal significance of the
event, the emotive content of the event, the time lapsed since the
event, the occurrence of other related events, why and by whom
the person is asked to recall their memories, and the kinds of
retrieval cues provided at the time of recall. The fundamental
question of whether forgetting is the result of actual loss of
information stored, or whether it is the loss of access to that
information (which remains stored forever), or whether it is the
result of both, may be unanswerable

PDF Source: Total Recall? The Reliability of Witness testimony

16 Jun 2006, 12:49 #6

External sources may also be incorporated into memory. For example, if we are told, incorrectly, that a person we met had a moustache, this information may be incorporated into memory. We may genuinely come to believe the person had a moustache. Similarly, information suggested by ‘leading’ questions may subsequently be incorporated into memory. For instance if we are asked ‘did you see the red car?’ we may not have been aware that the car was red, but later come to ‘remember’ that car as red.

Source: Face Value? Evaluating the Accuracy of Eyewitness Information

17 Jun 2006, 07:57 #7

The Daily Mirror had photos to illustrate the story but are not on their web site:
16 June 2006
THE 7/7 BOMB FACTORY
Bath where terrorists mixed their explosives
By Jon Clements

THIS is the bathroom the 7/7 bombers used to bring death to 52 innocent people.

Here, Mohammed Sidique Khan, Shehzad Tanweer, Hasib Hussain and Jermaine Lindsay mixed their homemade explosives.

They poured bleach, acetone and drain cleaner into the tub. Then, wearing masks to cope with the toxic fumes, Tanweer and Hussain set to work behind the shower curtain, taped to a wall to conceal them.

Police believe they produced their homemade explosives inside this ground-floor flat near Leeds grand mosque.

Each device weighed between 5lb and 10lb. They were later detonated with devastating effect on three London Tube trains and a bus.

While making the bombs, they left windows open to release the toxic fumes, so powerful they killed the plants outside.

Tanweer and Hussain were told by their families that their hair had gone lighter and claimed chlorine in a swimming pool had bleached it. After that, they wore shower caps.

Neighbours suspected something was going on inside the property, which was rented from an Egyptian PhD student.

Pensioner John Langham said: "My brother lives four doors away and this time last year he complained there was a funny smell in his bathroom. It got worse over the weeks."

The retired painter and decorator also lived nearby and has since moved into the flat.

The property was refurbished after it was stripped by police forensic officers searching for clues about the bombers.

Mr Langham said: "I would see three of them coming and going quite a lot."

He added: "They didn't seem suspicious but they never really introduced themselves as our new neighbours."

j.clements@mirror.co.uk
Mirror 16/06/06
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti