De Menezes shooting: Stockwell 2, the IPCC report

In the aftermath of the murder, a cascade of misinformation and lies from the very top down. From Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair to the trigger-happy plain-clothes shooters identified only as "carrying a long-barrelled weapon", the actions that day have been exposed as a cover-up of the events that resulted in the extra-judicial execution of an innocent man.

De Menezes shooting: Stockwell 2, the IPCC report

The Antagonist

01 Aug 2007, 01:01 #1

De Menezes shooting: UK's top anti-terror officer is singled out

· Final verdict on two-year saga
· Met chief Blair is cleared
· Report criticises Hayman

Sandra Laville, crime correspondent
Wednesday August 1, 2007
The Guardian

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/ ... 6ready.jpg
Tributes to Jean Charles de Menezes outside Stockwell tube station in August 2005. Photograph: Dan Chung

The country's most senior anti-terrorist officer will be heavily criticised in an official report published tomorrow into the events surrounding the killing of an innocent Brazilian man in south London, the Guardian understands.

While Sir Ian Blair, the commissioner of the Metropolitan police will escape serious censure from the Independent Police Complaints Commission over his role, Andy Hayman, the overall head of counter terrorism and intelligence, is understood to have been singled out for being deliberately misleading.

The Guardian understands that in the last two weeks the IPCC has withdrawn its criticism of three other officers after being threatened with legal action because it had failed to follow its own guidelines over the way it dealt with them.

The expected findings of Stockwell 2, a two-year IPCC investigation into who in the Metropolitan police knew what and when in the aftermath of the shooting of the innocent De Menezes have caused disquiet at Scotland Yard.

The force has always maintained that anti-terrorist officers were faced with unprecedented challenges on Friday July 22 2005 as they searched for at least four suicide bombers who had attempted to blow themselves up on tube trains and a bus on the London transport system the day before.

There has also been private criticism of the way the IPCC has conducted its first high-profile investigation since the watchdog body was reformed and made independent of the police.

"This was London in the grips of an attack, two weeks after another terrorist attack had killed 52 people," said one source. "Four men were on the run who could have attacked again, the events of the day were extremely fast moving. There is a sense that the IPCC, having failed to recommend any action against any of the officers involved in the shooting itself needed a scapegoat."

De Menezes, 27, who was making his way to work, was shot seven times in the head by an armed police surveillance team after being mistaken for one of the suspected July 21 suicide bombers. In the hours after the shooting, Scotland Yard maintained that the man targeted was a suspected terrorist, but were forced to concede the following day that an innocent man had been killed.

In tomorrow's report, Mr Hayman is accused of being deliberately misleading over what he revealed on the day of the shooting about the identity of the man the police had killed.

Sir Ian, who said initially the dead man was "directly linked" to anti-terrorist operations, was not told that he was an innocent man until the next day - Saturday July 23.

But, in the immediate aftermath of the shooting, sources say there were unconfirmed rumours that the man who had been killed may not have been one of the four suicide bombers being hunted. Mr Hayman is criticised by the IPCC for not passing this on to Mr Blair at a briefing he had with him at 6pm that night.

However, senior sources question how he could have passed on the unsubstantiated rumours at that stage.

It was not until midnight that De Menezes was finally formally identified and the picture became clear.

Other senior Met officers have given testimony to the IPCC that when they left Scotland Yard at 11pm there was still no indication that the wrong person had been shot.

Sir Ian was told of the development by Mr Hayman the next morning and later that day - 24 hours after the shooting - Scotland Yard admitted the victim was not connected to attempted terror attacks on the capital. Hours later Sir Ian apologised to the family, describing the death of De Menezes as a tragedy for which the police accepted full responsibility.

Sir Ian will be cleared in the IPCC report of breaking the senior officers' code of conduct by lying. He may face criticism that he is out of touch with senior officers.

Three officers who were facing criticism began an application for a judicial review of the findings alleging the IPCC had breached procedural rules.

As a result the IPCC is understood to have re-edited the report in the last two weeks to remove the bulk of the criticism against them.

The first official report by the IPCC into the shooting itself - which has yet to be published - recommended no disciplinary action against 11 officers, including the two firearms officers who shot Mr de Menezes on the tube.

Four senior officers - including Cressida Dick, the senior commander who ran the armed operation and is thought to have authorised the order to shoot - were told by the IPCC that they will have to wait for a decision on discipline until the end of a criminal prosecution of the Met under health and safety laws. Ms Dick has since been promoted.

Despite an alleged admission to the IPCC that officers in the bungled surveillance operation altered the official log, the Crown Prosecution Service has said no individual officers will face prosecution. There is therefore surprise at the top of Scotland Yard that Mr Hayman appears to have been singled out.

Asad Rehman, a spokesman for the De Menezes family, said they had not seen the full report yet. "What the family wanted to know was what happened and for people to be held accountable for their actions if they have misled the family," he said.

The IPCC last night confirmed that there had been threats of a legal challenge over the Stockwell 2 report, and that minor changes had been made.
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

"Truth does not fear investigation." -- Unknown

The Antagonist

01 Aug 2007, 01:03 #2

Police chief singled out over De Menezes shooting
By James Macintyre
Published: 01 August 2007

Two years after police shot dead the innocent Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes, it finally appeared that some criticism would be levelled at the authorities last night, after the apparent leak of an official report into the incident.

It was reported that the Independent Police Complaints Commission would today single out Andy Hayman, the head of counter-terrorism and intelligence, for being deliberately misleading about events surrounding the shooting, which took place after the July 7 suicide bombings in London and a failed attempt two weeks later.

The Guardian said Sir Ian Blair will escape serious censure from the investigation - "Stockwell2" - because he was not told about the incident until the morning after it happened. In that time Mr Hayman had overseen a process in which police maintained for hours they had shot a "terrorist".

Mr Hayman is apparently accused of not passing on to Mr Blair doubts that were emerging about whether the victim was a genuine terrorist target. It was only 24 hours after the shooting that police admitted De Menezes was innocent.

The Stockwell shooting could yet turn into one of the great public scandals of the decade. Initially, police - who blacked out elements of the CCTV footage - claimed that de Menezes was in a bulky coat and sprinted over the underground barrier. These claims turned out to be false.

One officer was urinating by De Menezes's block of flats
while he emerged, to be followed by officers on to a bus, the Tube and down into Stockwell station, where he was shot seven times in the head at point blank range.
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

Bridget

01 Aug 2007, 09:06 #3

[quote=""Ant""]Initially, police - who blacked out elements of the CCTV footage[/quote]
So CCTV footage does exist and has been tampered with by the police.
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

Sinclair

01 Aug 2007, 09:37 #4

I don't know if this has been posted here before, but here is a transcript of the Met Police Press Conference at 3:45pm - on Friday 22nd July 2005. The discussion is mainly regarding the J21 incident/suspects, but I have highlighted some interesting comments, mainly by Andy Hayman, who is the person apparently now being 'singled out'
Press conference - 15:45 - 22/07/05
Please click the following links for a larger image of each suspect depicted to the right:

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
This is a transcript of today's press conference with Sir Ian Blair and Andy Hayman.

Commissioner:
As you are aware there is a lot of police activity going on today in relation to the underground and bus incidents of yesterday. This is a very, very fast moving investigation.

Andy Hayman is going to make an appeal for new information. I have a few points that I would like to make to begin with. As I’ve said before, this is the greatest operational challenge ever faced by the Metropolitan Police Service. The MPS and its sister services are doing a magnificent job, but officers are facing previously unknown threats and great danger.

We need the understanding of all communities, and the co-operation of all communities, and we need calm. We know that there are rumours sweeping London, and I really do appeal for people to listen to the facts as they emerge. We remain resolute, and will work tirelessly, and imaginatively with every community in London to solve this crime. The most important message we have other than this appeal is that this operation is targeted against criminals. It is not targeted against any community, or any section of the community. There are hundreds of police officers working across London on these inquiries and the anti-terrorist teams are working literally around the clock and there probably won’t be a let-up in that for some considerable time.

I can say as part of operations linked to yesterday’s incidents, Met police officers have shot a man inside Stockwell Underground Station at approximately 10am this morning. London Ambulance Service and the air ambulance both attended and the man was pronounced dead at the scene. I understand Stockwell tube station remains closed.

The information I have available if that this shooting is directly linked to the ongoing and expanding anti-terrorist operation. Any death is deeply regrettable. I understand the man was challenged and refused to obey. I can’t go any further than that at this stage, and I am now going to hand over to Assistant Commissioner Andy Hayman.

AC Andy Hayman; I would like top start of by reminding everyone, that about two weeks ago we stated our objectives for this investigation. The object is to identify and successfully prosecute the people responsible for these events. The resolve to achieve that objective has never been stronger. The energy and enthusiasm of both the community and our officers is at its height.

The purpose of today is to set out what we have done since yesterday’s events, which has then led us to asking the community for their help. It was said yesterday by colleagues that following such an event as yesterday evidence opportunities and intelligence opportunities increase. That is the case.

Since yesterday we have been very busy - analyzing CCTV tapes, taking numerous statements and conducting house to house enquiries. This has been fruitful, because this afternoon we are going to be issuing CCTV images of four men we urgently want to trace in connection with attempts to detonate four explosive devices on the transport system in central London yesterday.

It is crucial that detectives are able to question them about yesterday’s events at the Oval, Shepherds Bush, Warren St underground station and on a Route 26 bus in Hackney Road at the junction with Colombia Road, E2.

I want to be very clear now about what I want the public to do. There are two requests here.

Firstly anyone who has information about where these men currently are - you should immediately call 999 and ask for urgent police response. The public are asked not to approach them.

If anyone knows they believe the identities of these men, or has other information about them or their movements, they should contact the confidential Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.

What I would like to do now is deal with all scenes individually and describe to you about the events that occurred there and also show you the images that a relevant to those scenes.

At the Oval underground station a device was left in a carriage on a Northern line train traveling northbound. The image we are now showing shows a man running away from the northern line at the Oval underground station at approx 12:34hrs yesterday.

We believe this man had traveled northbound on the northern line from Stockwell underground station to the Oval. He was wearing a dark top with the words ‘New York’ written in white across the front. This top was later found in Cowley Road, Brixton.

A device was left at the rear of the top deck of the Route 26 bus travelling from Waterloo to Hackney Wick. The image that is now showing is of a man at the rear of the top deck on that bus at about 12:53.

He got off the bus at Hackney Road at approximately 1306hrs. He was wearing a grey t-shirt with what appears to have a palm-tree design on the front and a dark jacket with, and a white baseball cap.

At Warren Street a device was left in a carriage on the northbound Victoria line. The image that is now showing of the third person we want to identify shows a man leaving Warren Street underground station at approximately 12:39. He was wearing dark clothing.

Finally, at Shepherd’s Bush a device was left on a Hammersmith & City line train travelling westbound. This final image that is showing is of a man at Westbourne Park underground station at approximately 12:21. We believe he then travelled westbound on the Hammersmith & City line to Shepherd’s Bush underground station where he ran from the station. He was wearing a dark shirt and trousers and was later reported to be wearing a white vest.

Yesterday’s incidents do bear similarities to the bomb attacks in London on July 7th in as much as there were three underground trains and a bus that were targeted. There are other features that are emerging which are also of interest to detectives.

We are actively pursuing lines of enquiry you are aware that earlier today, this afternoon, we were entering a house in central London.

What this demonstrates is how fast moving this investigation is and how hopefully productive the lines of enquiry are.

Initial forensic examination indicates that a bomb partially detonated at each of the four sites. At this stage it is believed that the devices consisted of home-made explosives and were contained in dark coloured bags or rucksacks.

At this stage it is too early to tell how these were detonated.

I am urgently seeking the public’s assistance. It is time to do what the public are very good at - which is support investigations.

It is for us to decide whether any info that is given is of relevance. So if someone thinks it may be relevant - we would ask them to contact us as we have guided.

I would just like to pose a couple of questions which might help people think through this request:

Do you recognise any of these men?
Did you see them at the three underground stations or on the bus?
Did you see them at a different location?
Did you see these men together before or after the incidents?
Did you see them with anyone else?

If I can remind you - if you see these men, the public response should be to ring 999 and not approach them yourselves.

If you believe you know the identity of these men or have information relevant to those questions a different response is required - that is to ring the Anti-Terrorist Hotline on 0800 789 321.

Commissioner

I would like to place on record my congratulations to Andy and his team - for the speed at which they have reached this stage of the investigation.

Just two final messages from me.

The first one is this reiteration of the need for calm and the need to understand that rumours will sweep around about what is happening. At the moment the situation is under control and the investigation is proceeding. The scenes are under control and the house being searched is under control and the second crucial message is that we can only defeat this form of terror is by working with communities, by getting the communities support in to everything that we are doing. We will try and explain everything that we possibly can - but it is a very very fast moving scenario and we can only do that from time to time.

I am very grateful to people of London for the way in which they have reacted so far. I hope very much we will be able to bring this to as swift a conclusion as possible.

clcik here to see the Police appeal poster.

Source
This Press statement is still on the Met Police website, but I do not think that it is linked to by any other page. There is a way to find such unlinked pages/PDF files etc. on host sites - PM me for details.
In some ways she was far more acute than Winston, and far less susceptible to Party propaganda. Once when he happened in some connection to mention the war against Eurasia, she startled him by saying casually that in her opinion the war was not happening. The rocket bombs which fell daily on London were probably fired by the Government of Oceania itself, "just to keep the people frightened." -- George Orwell, 1984

The Antagonist

01 Aug 2007, 10:01 #5

Thanks for posting that again, Sinclair. It's interesting to note that it took them less than 24 hours to get images of the 21/7 gang out to the public and rather longer to make such progress in the case of 7/7.

Bridget

01 Aug 2007, 10:20 #6

Bridget @ Aug 1 2007, 10:06 AM wrote:[quote=""Ant""]Initially, police - who blacked out elements of the CCTV footage
So CCTV footage does exist and has been tampered with by the police.[/quote]
From this thread on the CCTV at Stockwell:
Investigators examining the shooting of Brazilian Jean Charles de Menezes are "confident" they have all CCTV footage available on the London Tube shooting.

Independent Police Complaints Commission head Nick Hardwick said some of it would prove crucial to the probe.

But he condemned information leaks on the July 22 shooting at Stockwell, appealing for everyone to maintain a "dignified silence" during the inquiry.

Brazilian officials said they were told some of the CCTV footage did not exist.

After the meeting, Mr Pereira, of Brazil's foreign ministry, said the IPCC had mentioned that some of the CCTV cameras on the tube at the time "could be out of order".

"Apparently there are parts of the film which do not exist," he said.

Source: BBC News
Are the 'blacked out bits' of the cctv the parts of the film which Jean's family were told didn't exist?

As for following Jean from Scotia Road, I've been searching these threads for the report from eye-witnesses that plain clothes officers were already on the train before Jean arrived.
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

justthefacts

01 Aug 2007, 12:30 #7

Bridget @ Aug 1 2007, 10:20 AM wrote:
As for following Jean from Scotia Road, I've been searching these threads for the report from eye-witnesses that plain clothes officers were already on the train before Jean arrived.
If Brixton station was still shut, any passengers on that train when it pulled into Stockwell were undercover.
But Duncan, what men believe isn't important - it's our actions which make us right or wrong. - Alasdair Gray - Lanark