5 arrests for 'Gordon Brown death threats'

Monitoring UK 'terror' raids and trials.

5 arrests for 'Gordon Brown death threats'

14 Aug 2008, 22:22 #1

UK police detain 2 at airport under terrorism law
The Associated Press
Published: August 14, 2008

LONDON: Two men were arrested at Manchester Airport under Britain's terrorism laws Thursday evening, police said.

The pair were from the Blackburn area of northwest England, and a third man was also arrested in the nearby town of Accrington, Lancashire Police said in a statement posted to their Web site.

A spokesman for Lancashire Police said he had little detail about the arrests but did not think the airport's operations had been affected.

"As far as I'm aware there wasn't any disruption," the spokesman said, speaking anonymously in line with force policy. "We have only basic information at this point."

The police's statement said the men's Blackburn area homes were being searched. Blackburn is about 225 miles (360 kilometers) northwest of London.

source
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

15 Aug 2008, 08:56 #2

Terror police swoop to arrest three

2 hours ago

Three men have been arrested on suspicion of terror charges - two of them at Manchester Airport, Lancashire Police said.

The third man was arrested in the Accrington area - and police were searching the men's homes in Blackburn.

The men are of Asian origin and aged 21, 22 and 23, Lancashire Police said.

Local people said the searches had been carried out in the Whalley Road area of the town.

Resident Omar Hussain, who lives in Whalley Road, said: "I came in and there were police officers outside. They handed me a leaflet saying 'don't be worried, they're just looking into the neighbourhood, there have been three terror arrests'.

"It was quite hard to see which houses because there were crowds of people outside, and two police cars and a van. It's really worrying that it's so close. It's like 'oh my God, we[/ho is it?' You can't believe it's actually happening on your street, in your community."

Accrington councillor Doreen Pollitt was surprised to learn one of the men was arrested in the area. She said: "The majority of our community here are Kashmiri. We have never had any problems, and have a very good relationship with the Kashmiri Community, and have done so for a very long time."

Bill Crawshaw, terminal duty manager at Manchester Airport, said: "This has had no effect on the airport. It is a total police operation and we didn't even know that it had happened until afterwards."

The arrests followed a joint operation by Lancashire Police and Greater Manchester Police Counter Terrorism Unit.

Chief Supt Andy Rhodes, divisional commander for eastern division at Lancashire Police, said: "These arrests and subsequent searches of the nearby premises will be conducted with sensitivity and carried out as quickly as possible to ensure minimum impact on the three areas concerned."

source
�To those who are afraid of the truth, I wish to offer a few scary truths; and to those who are not afraid of the truth, I wish to offer proof that the terrorism of truth is the only one that can be of benefit to the proletariat.� -- On Terrorism and the State, Gianfranco Sanguinetti

15 Aug 2008, 11:18 #3

Three quizzed in anti-terror probe

24 minutes ago

Police were continuing to question three men arrested on suspicion of terror charges.

Two were arrested at Manchester Airport, and a third in the Accrington area of Lancashire. Detectives were still searching the men's homes in Blackburn. The men, of Asian origin, are aged 21, 22 and 23.

Police sources confirmed the arrests were not linked to previous terror attacks and were at the "less serious" end of the scale for such offences.

The investigation is being led by Lancashire Constabulary, in assistance with Greater Manchester Police's counter-terrorism unit.

Two of the men live at addresses on Percival Street, Whalley Range, and one in Cromwell Street, Audley Range. Local residents were shocked to discover their neighbours were arrested.

Martin Clough, 32, a school caretaker from Cromwell Street, said: "It's quite disturbing. It's a small street and everyone gets on with everybody. For this to happen here is quite shocking."

Mr Clough described the family of one of the men arrested: "I've seen them about. They keep themselves to themselves. They don't speak. The father speaks but the sons don't."

A resident of Percival Street, who wished to remain anonymous, believed the family of one of those arrested had "never been in trouble before". He said the family had lived there for many years, and the children had attended Islamic schools.

It's not the first time Blackburn has been linked to alleged terror plots. Sajid Badat, 24, who conspired with shoe bomber Richard Reid, had studied at the College of Islamic Knowledge and Guidance in Blackburn.

Junade Feroze, 31, of Malham Gardens, Blackburn, was imprisoned for 22 years in 2007 for helping al Qaida operative Dhiren Barot pave the way for bomb plots in the UK and America.

source

16 Aug 2008, 17:40 #4

Three quizzed in anti-terror probe

Aug 15 2008

Police have been given more time to question three suspects arrested on suspicion of terror offences.

Detectives were granted an extra seven days to question the three arrested on Thursday under the Terrorism Act 2006.

Two were arrested at Manchester Airport and a third man in the Accrington area of Lancashire.

Detectives were still searching the men's homes in Blackburn. The men, of Asian origin, are aged 21, 22 and 23.

Police sources confirmed the arrests were not linked to previous terror attacks and were at the "less serious" end of the scale for such offences.

The investigation is being led by Lancashire Constabulary, in assistance with Greater Manchester Police's counter-terrorism unit.

Two of the men live at addresses on Percival Street, Whalley Range, and one in Cromwell Street, Audley Range. Local residents were shocked to discover their neighbours were arrested.

Martin Clough, 32, a school caretaker from Cromwell Street, said: "It's quite disturbing. It's a small street and everyone gets on with everybody. For this to happen here is quite shocking."

Mr Clough described the family of one of the men arrested: "I've seen them about. They keep themselves to themselves. They don't speak. The father speaks but the sons don't."

A resident of Percival Street, who wished to remain anonymous, believed the family of one of those arrested had "never been in trouble before". He said the family had lived there for many years, and the children had attended Islamic schools.

source

22 Aug 2008, 21:11 #5

Report says British terror arrests linked to threat to kill Brown

1 hour ago

LONDON — The arrest of three terror suspects in northern England earlier this month was linked to an online threat to kill Prime Minister Gordon Brown, British media reported Friday.

The British Broadcasting Corp. said the three men were being held in connection with an Internet posting signed "al-Qaida in Britain," which threatened the life of Brown and former prime minister Tony Blair.

The statement, posted on a radical website earlier this year, demanded the withdrawal of British forces from Iraq and Afghanistan, and the release of Muslim inmates from Britain's Belmarsh Prison, a high-security facility that houses many convicted terrorists.

The BBC did not cite a source for its report or explain the suspects' alleged connection to the Internet posting. However, Britain's Press Association news agency quoted unidentified police sources as confirming the BBC report.

Lancashire police in northern England were not immediately available for comment about the reports Friday evening. Brown's office declined comment. Neither did Britain's Home Office, which handles media queries for the country's domestic intelligence agency MI5.

The three men were arrested Aug. 14, two of them at Manchester Airport, about 300 kilometres north of London, and the third in the nearby town of Accrington. The BBC said the two arrested at the airport were about to board a plane for Finland, and that British counterterrorism police have travelled there as part their investigation.

Finland's National Bureau of Investigation confirmed that a British team was in the country, but denied their investigation had any links to the reported threat against Brown. A bureau spokesman said he could give no further details since the investigation was a British matter. He spoke on condition of anonymity, in line with Finnish practice.

source

22 Aug 2008, 21:57 #6

^
The BBC did not cite a source for its report or explain the suspects' alleged connection to the Internet posting. However, Britain's Press Association news agency quoted unidentified police sources as confirming the BBC report.
What an impeccably referenced terror meme that is.
"The problem with always being a conformist is that when you try to change the system from within, it's not you who changes the system; it's the system that will eventually change you." -- Immortal Technique

"The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses." -- Malcolm X

"The eternal fight is not many battles fought on one level, but one great battle fought on many different levels." -- The Antagonist

"Truth does not fear investigation." -- Unknown

25 Aug 2008, 21:41 #7

al-Qaeda-Finland-Gordon Brown terror nexus: update

So it's confirmed - British special branch are currently visiting Finland, trying to work out why these guys from Blackburn who they have arrested were coming to Helsinki. Helsingin Sanomat has a few more details today, but the Finnish security police spokesperson is saying release of the information on the case will only come from the British end.

Although it has been by no means a 100% rule, generally terrorism plots in Europe have exhibited ethnic, national or at least regional groupings in the family-origins of the plotters. Hence the 7/7 bombings were mainly the result of British Pakistanis (although Germaine Lindsay was a convert), the Madrid bombing was mainly Moroccans etc. Helsingin Sanomat says that the arrested men are British-Pakistanis, which is interesting as there is only a very small Pakistani community in Finland making that a less likely, if still possible, link. Ultimately this may turn out to be another 'internet plot' where threats are made but no credible plan had ever existed to act upon them - but when the internet is centrally involved it really does throw open the door to unlikely linkages between people who may have never even met.

Time will tell how serious these arrest turn out to be and what the Finnish connection was. Perhaps they had just made an "inspired choice" to select Finland for their family holiday destination? 
Follow the numbers.