Forum rules
NOTE: About This Topic This is a "Read Only" topic, meaning all of Jon Baas' blog posts about his time on the set of the 2004 Hollywood movie, "Mr. 3000" have been republished here. You may read them as often as you like, but comments have been disabled.
JonBaas

6:16 AM - Aug 12, 2012 #11

Day Ten -- Friday, July 25, 2003: Meeting some Hollywood notables!

After a suitably well-rested morning, I awoke, caught the bus out to Miller Park, and arrived in time to for my 5:30 PM call. It was a warmer day, with the sun already creeping toward the horizon. Judging by the temperature, it didn't seem like another chilly night would be in store for us. Nonetheless, I came prepared.

After a small meal of cheeseburgers, the waiting game began. Since I had my usual sketchbook with me, I decided to do a little drawing to keep me busy.

I've found that people seem to gravitate to an artist working in a public place. As I sat there, colored pencils in hand, people stopped by out of the blue, complimented me, and seemed genuinely impressed with my work. It felt good to be appreciated for my art, even if I wasn't working on a masterpiece. It fascinates me the way people can become so easily impressed by the skills of others, especially when they don't possess those skills themselves.

After some time occupying myself with my drawings, the call finally rang out that we were needed on-set. The scene would be a tight shot of Stan Ross (Bernie Mac) going up into the stands (in 1995) and rudely grabbing his original 3000-hit ball from a young boy.

As it turned out, my seat location for that particular scene was right on the aisle, in the second row, down by the Brewers dugout. In the film, after the ball is thrown into the stands by the injured pitcher (in 1995), Stan goes up that particular aisle to get it, rudely claiming the ball for his own collection. Bernie Mac goes up that aisle, and, once again, I was right there in on the action.

Before the shot was up, Bernie's starting position was right there beside me on the aisle. Shoulder to shoulder. As we all awaited the familiar "Rolling, and.... ACTION...", I stood there, participating in his friendly banter, listening to his jokes, watching as he exchanged witty conversation with his makeup artist, etc. I was right there, on a Hollywood movie set, interacting with Bernie Mac. That was pretty cool!

What intrigued me most, though, was that I got to see, right up close, the wheels turning in Bernie's head as he prepared for each new take. Seeing that process -- from a more established actor than myself -- was a fascinating learning opportunity!

After a number of takes, and a few more close-up scenes with Bernie, the scene was wrapped, and the production crew began to move everything to their the next location. As I stood there in first row by the dugout, a man from the production crew came up to me:

"Hey, are you the guy with the weblog," he asked out of the blue?

I was surprised, especially to hear that question from a member of the crew. "Uh, yeah, I maintain an online blog," I replied curiously.

"Ah, well I read some of your entries about your work on this film," he commented smiling. "I recognized you from the photo on your website. I actually enjoyed what you wrote. It was interesting to read the experiences of someone in front of the camera. It's not a perspective I get to see things from very often."

"Really," I replied, still a little surprised.

"Yeah. The girl in the production office told me about your weblog and said I should check it out." He extended his hand. "By the way, I'm Charles Papert, the head camera man."

I kept my surprise in check. I had just spent time working with Bernie Mac earlier. Now the head camera man had just come up to me, with compliments about what he'd read on my blog! I was honored, humbled, and excited all at the same time!

I later checked imdb.com for Charles' productions credits. He's been the head camera man for a wide variety of television shows, from "The West Wing" to "Buffy, the Vampire Slayer", even to "ER". He's also operated the camera for such films as, "Crazy/Beautiful" with Kristin Dunst, and "Office Space". Notable, indeed! He struck me as a rather down-to-earth successful guy with a lot of experience and probably a lot of advice. Maybe I'll run into him again on set. I certainly wouldn't mind. :)

Later in the evening, things started to slow down. At one point a fellow extra took the opportunity to climb up on the Brewers dugout and perform magic tricks for the rest of us. I got the impression that he was a professional. His 'act' was entertaining, and his tricks were excellent. Perhaps he'll have an 'encore performance' at one of our future film shoots? :)

Near the end of the morning, and after a few more scenes around the stadium, I ended up sitting next to another professional actor. He used to be a school principal before retiring to pursue his acting career. Most recently, he had finished filming as the character of Donnie Brasco in an upcoming HBO television film based upon the famous historical jewel thief by that name. It's due out sometime this fall, but as I don't have cable, I won't get to see it. It was nice to talk with him about the business though. He had a lot of great things to say.

It was especially interesting to chat with this man because he was a Christian (like myself), and lived in the Milwaukee area, although, he did most of his film work down in Chicago. I was particularly impressed with the fact that he was both a Christian and a successful actor. It gave me a little more confidence in my own future goals. I doubt I'll run into him again, but it was still a joy chatting with him (and his daughter).

By early Saturday morning, we were let go. I was tired, as usual, and when I arrived home, I took a shower and went straight to bed. I slept the day away until I needed to be away for my Saturday evening call.

Acting can be a thrill -- especially when you get to meet and/or work with others in the biz (like Bernie Mac or Charles Papert). Very few careers offer this much interaction, with creative individuals who've seen so much global success. It makes me proud to call myself an actor.... it really does.

Well, I think that's all I'll write about tonight. Sleep is overcoming me. Take care, and until next time,

Your happily blogging actor friend,
-Jon

Jon Baas -- Actor / Artist / Entrepreneur
Website & Blog .... facebook/jonbaas .... Twitter @jonbaas

JonBaas

6:18 AM - Aug 12, 2012 #12

Day Eleven -- Saturday, July 26, 2003

Honestly, not a whole lot really happened on-set tonight. My sister, Rachel, was scheduled to join me for filming, but she called in sick. As a result I went alone. Dave, the friend whom I'd met on-set previously also had the day off.

Not long after I arrived though, I stumbled across a former college alumni of mine, James, and we ended up hang on set for most of the evening. James is one of the alumni that recently auditioned with for the upcoming alumni stage production at my college. He's an interesting guy. He's a bit older than I am. He's 30, but despite the 7-year age difference, he and I seem to have a lot in common. We had many interesting conversations, some rather witty in nature, and enjoyed the opportunity to be reacquainted again after a few years.

It was actually a lot more like summer in the stadium this evening. The retractable roof was closed, but the outfield sliding panels were open. Still, most of the time, there was no real breeze. And if there was, it wasn't noticable. As a result sweat was a common issue, and a few hours into the evening it had become too warm for my tastes.

I did find the best place to stay cool though. Miller Park, is a convertible-roof stadium, so when the dome is closed, there's a pressure difference between the interior and the outdoors. If you open one of the main entrance doors, and stand in the doorway, the air rushing in can be quite refreshing! It was was unfortunate that the cool "breeze" didn't make it all the way down to the field where we were filming.

Most of the shoot this evening was a for a fun scene. Do you remember the old "hidden ball" trick in baseball? You know, the one where the ballplayer pretends to return the ball to the pitcher, and then returns to his respective base. When the opposing team's runner steps off the bag to lead off, BOOM, he's tagged out. Sly, but oh so fun to watch! The scene we were shooting involved Stan Ross (Bernie Mac), trying to pull this trick at first base.

Unfortunately, though, as the scene is set on the 2004 Brewers (some time after Stan Ross returns to baseball), you're going to have to wait until the end of the movie to see it. Look for it though. I think it might be a fun moment in the story! And, if you're lucky, you may even catch me enjoying the pick-off attempt from the stands behind first base. I was in the first row.

I find it interesting how many attractive and intelligent young women are at a film shoot like this. I make an effort to be friendly to everyone, girl or guy, but yet, meeting most of these interesting women my age seems to elude me. It's a shame sometimes. I'm not at the filming to 'pick up chicks', but I do have a sense for those I'd get along well with. I have a few days of filming yet, maybe I'll meet some. We'll see.

There were no new Hollywood acquaintances for me today, though. Maybe Monday.

Anyway, as you read, it was a rather slow shoot. I think I covered the most interesting parts. We'll see what tomorrow brings. Take care, and until next time,

-Jon

JonBaas

6:19 AM - Aug 12, 2012 #13

Day Twelve -- Monday, July 28, 2003

Today ended up being another slow day. It also also another cold one. That made sitting in the open-roofed Miller Park a bit uncomfortable. And, stupid me, I didn't bring my jacket. But I survived. My wardrobe usually includes a long-sleeved button-front shirt with the sleeves rolled up. I just rolled them down. That will have to do.

Filming was varied enough tonight that nothing really stuck out in my mind. It really was a slow day.

We did finally get to sit up in the highest level of the stadium, though. Deck four. And although the view of the entire field was pretty good from up there, the seating incline was a little too steep for my tastes. I suppose that's why they call them the "nose-bleed" seats!

On the plus side, though, after being seated up there, I think I can now say that I've sat in every level of seating at Miller Park. Everything from the "season ticket" seats behind home plate, to the outfield bleachers, and now even the $1 nosebleed seats way up at the top of everything.

Neat factoid, huh!? :)

My friend Dave was there today. So he and I hung out most of the night. Shortly after the first meal, we met up with Danika. She's a friendly, though somewhat flirty friend we'd met on a previous night. Throughout the evening, the three of us enjoyed a combination of sarcastic and intelligent conversation. That kept the evening entertaining, especially when there was little going on in front of the camera.

I did find it frustrating, though, in the later hours of the shoot, to see the growing disregard for crew instructions from most of my fellow extras. Granted it was very late, and people were tired and bored, but still. Many of the obnoxious young non-professionals around me had abandoned the concept of respect. They started singing old television theme songs; collectively chanting loud remarks like, "let's go home"; ignoring simple instructions (most of which were to be silent or keep the noise down); and just being... downright unruly. I can only imagine the stress this presented for the film crew. They kept their cool, and I respect them for it. But, again, I would have just kicked those people out and sent them home without pay. You don't act like that at work; why would you act like that on a movie set?

By the time the shoot came to an end, I once again became witness to a massive stampede for the door. Before long, it become a pushy mass of people all trying to be the first to leave. These unprofessional extras complain, cause problems, and rush to leave, yet they all come back the next day. Are they that hard-up for a paycheck? Is that really all they care about? I take this gig seriously. Why there are so many others who do not, boggles the mind.

By the time I had returned home to my apartment, I was happy to have had another day under my belt, but I'm also also tired. Soon I'll be asleep. Then it's back for another overnight shoot in eight hours.

I'll catch you later tomorrow with another exciting recap from the set of "Mr. 3000". Have a blessed Tuesday all, and until then,

Your happily blogging, tired actor friend,
-Jon

JonBaas

6:20 AM - Aug 12, 2012 #14

Day Thirteen -- Tuesday, July 29, 2003: Perseverance and Thanks

I arrived at Miller Park on Tuesday afternoon for a 4 PM call time. We'd been told to expect a "special" activity shortly after arrival, although we weren't told what that would be. When everyone had signed in, we discovered that it would be a few sound recordings, or 'wild lines'.

Basically, these "wild lines" meant that the sound crew wanted natural recordings of the crowd chanting the lyrics to "We will rock you...," by Queen. All 1000+ extras (yes, another BIG crowd) congregated just outside the stadium for an outdoor recording. We were actually directed by musician -- Vernon Reid -- the lead guitarist for the '80's band, "Living Color." Apparently he's involved with the sound and music for the film.

After the recordings, and another of the same inside the stadium, we returned to the holding area and had a simple meal of hotdogs, chips, and potato salad.

I had come today, along with my sister (Rachel) who was excited for her second of two days working on set. This was my thirteenth. When she arrived, she joined me in my 'chosen spot' in the holding area -- the same spot I occupy at every shoot when I'm not needed on-set. Shortly after I sat down, my friend Dave tracked me down, and he and Jessica, another friend he'd met last Thursday, joined us as well.

Not long later, James, the fellow college alumni I'd hung out with on-set on Saturday, also stopped by.... He brought good news:

You know that college alumni theatre production I had auditioned for last Sunday (July 20)? Well, I got cast. I will be playing an easy-going husband on his second honeymoon, in New York City; circa 1965. My character is a lead in one of three one-act plays. It wasn't the streetwise thief role I had auditioned for, but I know I'll have fun with this role nonetheless! It also an opportunity to be back on-stage again for the first time in about a year. I've had the itch for a while now.

Anyway...

After more waiting, we were eventually called back into the stands for filming. Scenes would vary, but I think my favorite involved actor Paul Sorvino. In the film he plays the Brewers coach. In this scene, he argues with the first base umpire, and is ejected from the game. Very amusing to watch. Paul is an engaging actor. I can see why he was cast. Normally he plays gangster-like roles -- powerful and full of presence. Here he plays a sudued coach. I'd like to see what he does with the role in the final cut.

After a few more scenes, and a few more takes, it was dinner time. The main dish of choice -- chicken. I find it intersting how often that gets served. Don't get me wrong, I love chicken, and it's always been very good stuff. Maybe it's just cost-effective, I don't know. My favorite food service meal so far has been the tender beef cuts, but I like chicken too.

After dinner, more scenes were shot down on the field. At one point, I was sitting in the stands chatting with Jessica and Dave between takes. Someone in the walkway behind me tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around to see who it was, and found a young woman standing there wearing an access tag identifying her as one of the film crew. She addressed me by name (I had not met her before), she shook my hand, and introduced herself as Heather, the Assistant to the Director!

I was floored! Even the assistant to the director knew me! She mentioned that she's been reading my blog entries about my time on-set, and has enjoyed them. She was even sharing them with the director! Yes, THE director of "Mr. 3000". How cool is that!

A SECOND member of the crew had now gone out of their way to track me down -- in person (in a crowd of 1000+ people). Their sole purpose was to compliment me on my journal! That made me giddy to say the least. What thrilled me even more was to learn that this assistant was not at all that different from myself -- just a determined young artist (screenwriter, in her case) working to pay the bills, and doing something she loved. That impressed me! I like meeting people like that!

I had started out with the idea that, hey, I have a well-read blog, and I will be working fifteen days on the set of a Hollywood for the better part of a month. I've done this film stuff before, only this time, it might be fun to share my personal experiences with others. Not everyone gets to do this kind of thing. I didn't expect to become famous for it, or to have the film crew passing the link around to each other. But now that they have, I feel.... humbled. Honored. Appreciated.

It's a neat feeling. :)

After Heather left, Jessica and Dave (seated next to me) were fascinated by what had just happened. But it was the reactions of the six or seven young people in the row ahead of me that were priceless. They had overheard most of the conversation. When I turned around to face the field, they were staring back at me in awe.

"So, HOW are you so famous?" one of the girls asked.

I paused a moment, not sure how to explain my sudden notoriety. I then proceeded to tell them about what I was doing on my blog. They seemed excited to check it out. Apparently, I now have a fan club! :)

The remaining hours on-set went by quickly. Every once in a while someone would comment about my blog, or joke about my sudden popularity, but for the most part, the moment faded to memory. By the time we were let go and got through the check-out line, it was 6 AM Wednesday morning. It had been a long day, but hardly one to dampen my spirits. :)

Like Heather (the assistant to the director), I'm just a determined actor/artist trying to make a living doing what I love most. Maybe, I am headed in the right direction. Maybe today's surprise events were a little encouragement to keep going. People really do seem to appreciate what I do, and sometimes, they're happy to go out of their way to thank me for it. A kind word out of the blue can go a long way.

It's been a good day on-set. But now I must rest up for another one tomorrow. Have a blessed Wednesday everyone. I'll be back with another entry in a few hours!

-Jon

JonBaas

6:21 AM - Aug 12, 2012 #15

Day Fourteen -- Wednesday, July 30, 2003

After only four hours of sleep, I awoke, grabbed my bus, and made my way to Miller Park for another night under the lights. It started to thunder as I made my way to the stadium. Tonight would definitely be a rainy one.

Just after I arrived, and sat down to a meal of sloppy joes, the rain began to fall. At one point, the power went out to the entire stadium. It wasn't anything too serious, though. Five to ten minutes later, the power was back on again, and our holding area was once again bathed in light. It's not very often that you're inside a massive domed sports stadium when the electricity goes out. It was an interesting experience to say the least.

Later, when we were sitting in the stands for the first scene of the night, I mused at all the snow falling around us. Of course it wasn't snow; it was thousands of tiny knats driven indoors by the rain. As they flew aimlessly above us, the powerful stadium lights reflected off their tiny wings, giving the impression of falling snow.

It was an attractive sight. At least I thought so. Almost everyone else, though, saw them as an annoying irritant. The effect only lasted for ten minutes or so, and then disappeared. That too, isn't something you see every day.

Most of the day's scene were slow and unexciting. Usually we'd be moved to an area of the stadium that was in-frame, hang around for a bit while various shots were taken on the field, and then be moved again to somewhere else. This did little for our restless minds, but it was a blessing when it came to bonding with friends.

That being said, I think it bears mentioning a little about the friendships that have come to be while I've been working on the set of "Mr. 3000".

Dave:
Dave is a fellow alum from my college. With the exception of my freshman and perhaps sophomore years, he was before my time. I hadn't really known him all that well while I was a student.

He and I happened to run into each other during one of the early "Mr. 3000" filming days, and as a result of pure curiosity, we met -- officially. We hit it off well, finding a lot in common, and ended up hanging out whenever we were both on-set. I've come to consider him a good friend. It's actually amazing how much of a friendship can be built when you hang out with someone 12 hours a day for 2-3 weeks! That's roughly 156 hours. Yeah, definitely a good friend!

Danika:
An initial friend of Dave's from an earlier day of filming, I found Danika to be an intriguing character. In her early-to-mid twenties, she has a lot of energy. She has proven to be good company, both in terms of conversation, and pure personality. She's a flamboyant, cheerful and somewhat flirty young woman.

Although I'm happy for her recent engagement, it's bit sad to know that we will probably end up parting ways after we're done working on this film. She lives out in New York City, but is home visiting family for the summer. I have enjoyed her friendship on the set, and wish her luck in the future.

Jessica:
An initial friend of Dave's from one of my day's off during the filming of "Mr. 3000", Jessica, is another fascinating friend. She seems to have a lot in common with Dave and myself. She's also a recent college grad, intelligent, witty, friendly, attractive, and always quick with a smile.

James:
Another alum from my college, he graduated sometime before I started my freshman year, so we only met in passing. However, we met up again at the recent auditions for the Alumni stage production, and then, again, by surprise here at Miller Park.

The days he's been there, we've hung out, joked, conversed, and shared plenty of anecdotes about common acquaintances. Though a couple years older than myself, he and I have a great deal in common. Unlike with Danika and Jessica, though, James and I will be working together on an upcoming stage production. Our interactions can continue, at least for a while.

Beyond those four friends, though, I haven't really gotten to know many others in this film. But, you're probably bored with that stuff.... so, back to Wednesday. :)

Dinner was very good! BBQ chicken breast, some of the best squash I've had in a long time, and some of the best mac and cheese I've ever tasted. Very good stuff. I'm getting spoiled by all of this good food. It may not be the steaks or seafood that Bernie Mac is eating, but for me, hey, I've been eating like a king these past few weeks! I have nothing to complain about!

A few hours later, the day's shooting started to wrap up, and it was announced that we could go home. Once again, most of the extras jumped up out of their seats and stampeded toward the check-out lines just to be first out of the stadium. Inevitably the call would follow, "We're NOT done yet! Sit back down!"

Another scene was shot, and when it wrapped, they all jumped up again, only to be told, "WE'RE NOT DONE YET!!"

Frustrating, yes. The four of us (Dave, James, Jessica, and myself) are old pros. Retaining our limbs and remaining at the back of the massive throng of rampaging youth is better for our health. It's not a good sign either, when the production company has to have police on hand to keep the throngs of unruly young people in check. Seriously. We've had cops on on-site for the past two days. ... [sigh]

Despite the disrespectful extras, though, I'm going to miss the set of "Mr. 3000". It's been a great three weeks. It's been fun. It's been educational. It's been one of the best jobs of my career. Other gigs may eclipse this down the road, but this one... this one will always hold a spot in my heart.

Ah well, enough musing. Off to my last day on-set. I'll post a recap upon my return. Have a blessed Thursday everyone. Until later,

-Jon

JonBaas

6:23 AM - Aug 12, 2012 #16

Day Fifteen -- Thursday, July 31, 2003: The Last Day

Now today was a really cool day of filming!

It was, however, a rainy one. Heavy clouds drifted overhead, and thunderstorms were in the forecast. As I was walking down the road onto the Miller Park grounds (from the street on which my bus traveled), the rain began to fall. More like a sprinkle actually. I had my umbrella with me, although, I didn't think I needed it since the rain was so light. It didn't take me long to realize that this wasn't rain hitting me.... it was millions of tiny knats.

I glanced down, and discovered that I was already covered in a thin film of these annoying little insects. Brushing them off, I opened my umbrella and walked behind it. The knats were so thick, they pelted my unbrella just like raindrops. Their pitter-patter serenaded me the rest of the way to the ballpark.

After I had arrived, eaten a small meal, and sat chatting among friends, we were brought down to the field to start filming. I was part of a small group sitting down by the Brewers dugout. We were being situated as background fans in a closeup shot on one of the main characters (also sitting in the stands). As I made my way down to the field, though, I discovered that those million knats from earlier, had found their way into the closed stadium. The swarm was so thick that everyone in the film crew had put on a surgical mask just to avoid inhaling the little bugs.

Eventually, the knat problem got so bad, the crew decided they needed to take drastic action in order to remove the swarm. Since they couldn't open the retractable roof (because it was raining outside), they settled on a plan that turned off every flood light above the field. The knats were then lured to specific areas of the field (using other lights).... and fumigated with areosol cans of bug repellant. It took a while, but the plan worked.

As the stadium flood lights were turned off, the interior of Miller Park became oddly attractive in the dark. The only lights came from the concourse circling the field behind (and around) us. It was a serene sight. Definitely not something any of us would see anywhere else. A once-in-a-lifetime event.

While the lights were off, someone piped the iconic "Twilight Zone" music throughout the stadium's PA system, setting the mood even more. After a while the music turned to older light rock songs. As we listened, Dave, Jessica, and myself chatted in the dimly-lit ballpark. Down on the field, the crew continued their fumigation project.

After about twenty or thirty minutes, the little bugs were dead, and the massive flood lights slowly came back on above us, one bank at a time. The knats were gone, but the shooting schedule had been set back a bit. On a movie set, time is money, especially when you're on location. Those knats probably cost the production a few thousand dollars.

Now that filming could begin again, the scene would be a number of very tight crowd shots during the last important game of the 2004 season (end of the movie). By request from one of the film crew, I was placed directly into those shots. Yes, it has been confirmed. I will be featured, on screen, in the final cut of the movie. That's pretty cool!

I also found myself sitting there right behind Michael Rispoli (Jackie Aprile on "The Sopranos", and Joey Fusco Jr., the annoying landlord's grown son, in "While You Were Sleeping."). He plays a notable role in the film.

Rispoli didn't say much as he sat in our small group, presumably choosing to remain focused on his character. When he did chat, he seemed like a friendly, thoughtful guy. I liked his accent too. I think it was either New York or Brooklyn, one of the two. I've never been able to duplicate it. But I like it. I like voices and dialects.

Accent aside, Michael Rispoli seemed like a nice guy. He wasn't as outgoing as Bernie, but he was still friendly. It was nice to meet him, and a thrill to work with him in that scene. And a big thank you for the crew that went out of their way to place me into the scene to begin with. That was an unexpected, and thoughtful gesture -- one that person didn't have to do. I am, nonetheless, deeply grateful! :)

Since it was our last day on the set, Dave, Jessica, and myself decided to have a little fun with our attire (when the camera's weren't rolling, of course). We decided to dress up for the day. Dave came in a snazzy 1980's pastel sport jacket he'd found at a thrift store the night before. Very 80's! He wore the part well all day, though, garnering quite a few quizzical looks, and many compliments.

I wore a rather unattractive, multi-colored plaid sports jacket that I had picked up from a college theater department rummage sale a number of years back. I added a brightly colored jester's hat to finish off the look. I got strange looks all day, too and I'm sure I came across as an idiot. But, hey, it was fun. Ya gotta do something memorable and fun at the end of long project like this.

Jessica brought along a colorful tie-dyed shirt. At one point the three of us were walking side-by-side down one of the concourses -- like three Wild West gunmen strolled into a fight. The looks we received were priceless! I'd do that again in a heartbeat!

Today, I also met up with Charles Papert, the head camera man. He made a point to say hi and chat for a bit, and, at one point, he even came up into the stands and met Dave and Jessica. I think they were thrilled. Charles is a nice guy. Down to earth, loves what he does. I admire people like that!

At one point earlier in the evening, while the three of us (Dave, Jessica, and myself) sat in the stands, we met the younger brother of the stand-in for Bernie Mac. The stand-in, a young guy by the name of Marsallis, is already a funny guy, much like Bernie. He and Bernie entertained each other down on the field. When we met Marsallis' brother, it was clear that the wit ran in his family. Either of those two guys could have easily played a younger version of Bernie Mac. It was uncanny how similar they were!

By the time we were all released in the early morning on Friday, and after Dave, Jessica and myself had enjoyed breakfast at IHOP, we parted ways. I'm going to miss being part of the "Mr. 3000" family. It was a wonderful experience; one I won't soon forget.

On a personal level, "Mr. 3000" is easily the best experience I have had on a film set so far. The food was excellent. The crew were remarkably friendly and patient. And I met (and worked with) some wonderful people. I've been blessed to work on this film for as long as I did. Thank you to everyone who made it happen!

I eagerly look forward to seeing "Mr. 3000" on the big screen in 2004!

Good luck to each and every one of the professionals I worked with on-set. Perhaps we will meet again someday.... sometime.... somewhere in this great pot of creativity we call film and television. I'll keep my eyes open. God's blessings to you all!

-Jon Baas