Bearded in BC
Beard Jedi

May 9th, 2018, 11:38 pm #41

Hey Scott,
That's a great looking trim. The cheeklines are well carved for both angle and height, but it's simple to redefine them, if you wish. Just let them fill in a bit and then re-carve your preferred line. You won't lose any progress; it's really just a minor adjustment.
- Fred
You either live life -- bruises, skinned knees and all -- or you turn your back on it and begin dying - Christopher Pike paraphrasing Dr. Philip Boyce (Star Trek - "The Cage")

Bearded in BC's Thread

Pandarocks
Beard Jedi
Pandarocks
Beard Jedi

May 10th, 2018, 1:21 am #42

Nicely done, Scott. Your son will be proud to see Dad in the audience as he graduates from Kindergarten. Congrats to all. I think pizza an ice cream should be on the celebratory menu. Best! Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 10th, 2018, 2:31 am #43

Bearded in BC wrote: Hey Scott,
That's a great looking trim. The cheeklines are well carved for both angle and height, but it's simple to redefine them, if you wish. Just let them fill in a bit and then re-carve your preferred line. You won't lose any progress; it's really just a minor adjustment.
- Fred
That’s good news. Thank you!

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 10th, 2018, 2:32 am #44

Pandarocks wrote: Nicely done, Scott. Your son will be proud to see Dad in the audience as he graduates from Kindergarten. Congrats to all. I think pizza an ice cream should be on the celebratory menu. Best! Scott

It’s a big day. I’m super proud. Thank you for the well wishes! There will definitely be a celebratory meal. 😊

BladeAverse
Beard Legend
BladeAverse
Beard Legend

May 10th, 2018, 4:15 am #45

Hey Scott, the trim looks great! You'll be one of the classiest looking Dad's at graduation!

I've always admired beards that have a strong upward line from jaw to ear, but high cheeklines are nice, too. I think your new cheekline looks very good, but your original version was terrific, too. As Fred @Bearded in BC said, you can just allow the part you wish had not been removed to grow back, either all at once, or a little at a time. Of course it will be faster if you let it all grow back at once, but if you want to maintain this crisp new appearance, doing it a little at a time, hardly anyone besides you will ever notice.

Enjoy the big day tomorrow! This is a big milestone in your son's life, and in the whole family's. Cheers!

- Jerry

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 11th, 2018, 1:22 am #46

BladeAverse wrote: Hey Scott, the trim looks great! You'll be one of the classiest looking Dad's at graduation!

I've always admired beards that have a strong upward line from jaw to ear, but high cheeklines are nice, too. I think your new cheekline looks very good, but your original version was terrific, too. As Fred @Bearded in BC said, you can just allow the part you wish had not been removed to grow back, either all at once, or a little at a time. Of course it will be faster if you let it all grow back at once, but if you want to maintain this crisp new appearance, doing it a little at a time, hardly anyone besides you will ever notice.

Enjoy the big day tomorrow! This is a big milestone in your son's life, and in the whole family's. Cheers!

- Jerry
Thanks, Jerry. I want it to look as good (crisp) as possible during the growth period. It been exciting so far. I appreciate the feedback and advice. Today was awesome!

johnsow30
Beard Legend
johnsow30
Beard Legend

May 11th, 2018, 2:14 pm #47

Your beard is amazing.  The cleanup trim looks nice, and if you are planning on going bigger, you have not impeded your progress at all.  A nice thick beard like yours will repair itself relatively quickly.  

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 11th, 2018, 4:04 pm #48

johnsow30 wrote: Your beard is amazing.  The cleanup trim looks nice, and if you are planning on going bigger, you have not impeded your progress at all.  A nice thick beard like yours will repair itself relatively quickly.  

Thank, John. Hope all is well with you. I watched your music video the other day. I’ve always wanted to play, and tried to learn once but I don’t think my fingers are coordinated enough lol.

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 16th, 2018, 12:18 am #49

Is it normal to have an awkward stage 1 month in? Almost like it looked better a week ago vs what it does now.

Bearded in BC
Beard Jedi

May 16th, 2018, 12:37 am #50

ScottTX wrote: Is it normal to have an awkward stage 1 month in? Almost like it looked better a week ago vs what it does now.
Perfectly normal - It's generally referred to as the scruffy stage. Take it as a sign you're right on track. More length will bring added neatness as the hairs better lay down and find their natural positioning.
Continued good luck,
- Fred
You either live life -- bruises, skinned knees and all -- or you turn your back on it and begin dying - Christopher Pike paraphrasing Dr. Philip Boyce (Star Trek - "The Cage")

Bearded in BC's Thread

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 16th, 2018, 1:46 am #51

Bearded in BC wrote:
ScottTX wrote: Is it normal to have an awkward stage 1 month in? Almost like it looked better a week ago vs what it does now.
Perfectly normal - It's generally referred to as the scruffy stage. Take it as a sign you're right on track. More length will bring added neatness as the hairs better lay down and find their natural positioning.
Continued good luck,
- Fred
Thank you that is good to know. Perhaps I foolishly thought I passed the scruffy stage already lol. Thought about posting a Week 4 update but not really much need since I did a 3.5 and not much change since. Hopefully another couple of weeks will have it looking at least a little bit better.

I do have another question for you regarding the moustache. I typically like to keep mine trimmed to where it isn’t hanging over the bottom of my top lip. Will that be an issue as it continues to grow? Will it ultimately look unbalanced if I keep trimming it there or is it ok to trim that part while letting the rest grow?

REDZ
Beard Friendly
REDZ
Beard Friendly

May 16th, 2018, 3:49 am #52

I always kept my well trimmed and on the smaller side when I was growing it out my first time. Never letting it get over my lip and trying to keep it out of the corners of my mouth. I never felt like I was unbalanced.

I'm actually right with you at this time. I had been keeping things on the smaller side lately. But had a moment of weakness and did some work I wasn't happy with. So I took it all the way down to a two about two weeks ago and plan on growing it out big again. 

BladeAverse
Beard Legend
BladeAverse
Beard Legend

May 16th, 2018, 4:00 am #53

Hey Scott, I think the way you trim your stache is a matter of personal preference. You do hear comments (lots of them) here about balancing a bigger beard with a big stache, but some guys just prefer to keep their mustaches trimmed and more under control. I think it boils down to a matter of style, and style is a matter of personal opinion. You also hear the suggestion to compromise by trimming your stache at about the level where your lips meet. They say that's enough to keep it out of your mouth, and to make eating and kissing easier. I guess I'll be finding out about that one of these days, as I think a program of minor trimming is in my foreseeable future. Trial and error is one of the best ways to find out what works best for you.

As to the scruffy stage, well, I think you'll grow out of yours faster than most guys at the rate you grow. Cheers!

- Jerry
Last edited by BladeAverse on May 17th, 2018, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slybeard
Beard Titan
Slybeard
Beard Titan

May 16th, 2018, 2:35 pm #54

Mustache length is preference.  I do encourage guy to at least try a longer mustache, but it boils down to balancing the look and the maintenance.  For sure, it is easier to live with a trimmed mustache.  IMO, guys with "thin" mustaches (by thin, I mean the width of the area between the mouth and nose that grow hair) benefit from a longer mustache since it add to the bulk of the overall look.  For guys with a wide growing area, it is not that much of a concern.  You mustache appears to be average width.  So, I do suggest, if not now, and some time, you give a larger mustache a try.

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 16th, 2018, 3:46 pm #55

REDZ wrote: I always kept my well trimmed and on the smaller side when I was growing it out my first time. Never letting it get over my lip and trying to keep it out of the corners of my mouth. I never felt like I was unbalanced.

I'm actually right with you at this time. I had been keeping things on the smaller side lately. But had a moment of weakness and did some work I wasn't happy with. So I took it all the way down to a two about two weeks ago and plan on growing it out big again. 
Thanks for sharing. That looks like a mighty fine beard you have by the way.

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 16th, 2018, 3:48 pm #56

BladeAverse wrote: Hey Scott, I think the way you trim your stache is a matter of personal preference. You do hear comments (lots of them) here about balancing a bigger beard with a big stache, but some guys just prefer to keep their mustaches trimmed and more under control. I think it boils down to a matter of style, and style is a matter of personal opinion. You also hear the suggestion to compromise by trimming your stache at about the level where your lips meet. They say that's enough to keep it out of your mouth, and to make eating and kissing easier. I guess I'll be finding out about that one of these days, as I think a program of minor trimming is in my foreseeable future. Trial and error is one of the best ways to find out what works best for you.

As to the scruffy stage, well, I think you'll grow out of yours faster than most guys at the rate your grow. Cheers!

- Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I always look forward to your posts.

ScottTX
Beard Regular
ScottTX
Beard Regular

May 16th, 2018, 3:55 pm #57

Slybeard wrote: Mustache length is preference.  I do encourage guy to at least try a longer mustache, but it boils down to balancing the look and the maintenance.  For sure, it is easier to live with a trimmed mustache.  IMO, guys with "thin" mustaches (by thin, I mean the width of the area between the mouth and nose that grow hair) benefit from a longer mustache since it add to the bulk of the overall look.  For guys with a wide growing area, it is not that much of a concern.  You mustache appears to be average width.  So, I do suggest, if not now, and some time, you give a larger mustache a try.

I’ve been waiting for you to make another appearance in my thread, Slybeard. I appreciate and enjoy your advice in many threads throughout the board. Thank you for the solid advice.

One last question while it’s on my mind for you guys.

What is the most common direction for hair to grow on the cheeks and jaw area. Is it typical for it to come in slightly angled down and toward the ear a little. I’ve seen lot of beards that seem to naturally grow straight down. Should I brush it according to how it grows in naturally or brush it straight down?

Slybeard
Beard Titan
Slybeard
Beard Titan

May 16th, 2018, 4:17 pm #58

It is common that is grows in different directions, often different on one cheek from the other.

At your current length, it really does not matter much how you brush it, it is just going to spring back.  Once you have length, the brushing will be more effective, as well as gravity will help pull it down.

REDZ
Beard Friendly
REDZ
Beard Friendly

May 17th, 2018, 4:57 am #59

Thanks Scott! Unfortunately it's had a nice beard. I'm in the same boat as you growing it out.  

Pandarocks
Beard Jedi
Pandarocks
Beard Jedi

May 17th, 2018, 10:07 am #60

Greetings Scott. You may find that your neck hairs grow in differing directions and more rapidly compared to other areas. You might have a mustache tip that will take a curl while the other is reluctant to follow instructions. You might have an area that sticks out more than others. But some gents have neat overall growth and coverage - just like some men have better hair atop their heads. It’s all part of getting to know ones beard in full. Mostly, length and time is the great equalizer. Grooming techniques help and will improve it all as you grow forth. It’s a journey. Enjoy it. We enjoy you sharing it with us.