Nuvverbeer's Beard Quest [19th August 2018 - 49 weeks] - The Tale of Captain Redbeard

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 8th, 2017, 12:49 pm #1

Hello everyone,

First post on here and the first time i'm growing all of my facial hair out. I'm currently about 20 days in and have so far resisted the razor! Longest hairs are just under 1cm.

As you will see I have blond/coppery facial hair, slightly redder than the rest of my hair but not white/platinum blond. It's reasonably slow growing (goatee is fastest, with sides and soul-patch slowest). 

I have never grown it all out for any longer than a couple of weeks, but I routinely grow sideburns to earlobe. About a year ago I grew an experimental 'viking' goatee (minus the mustache) for about 3 months, which looked reasonably long/thick but was actually only about an inch deep and 2.5 inches long. My sideburns get pretty thick after a month or two and are probably half-way to acceptable at the moment being 20 days in. I would not go back to the 'viking' goatee look now because of work and I looked like a Category B inmate filmed in a US jail documentary, but depending on how this full beard works out, I might go for the goatee/mustache combo with sideburns. Ultimately i'm looking to achieve the maximum amount of beard I can manage whilst keeping it reasonably professional.

The trouble is that there are a number of beard patches that I need to wait and see if they fill in. Also, I have a very bare strip along my upper neck that makes a defined neckline almost impossible to achieve. My only thought at this stage is that future goatee length and sides might grow long enough to cover the noticeably bald spots so I can let whatever hairs do grow on my neck do their thing. 

Any thoughts, suggestions and possibly similar experiences welcome! I will post again once the follicles have had more time to sprout!

Cheers!
bb1.jpg
bb1.jpg
Last edited by Nuvverbeer on August 18th, 2018, 11:16 pm, edited 51 times in total.
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

baldbandit
Beard Wizard
baldbandit
Beard Wizard
Joined: January 8th, 2016, 9:13 am

September 8th, 2017, 1:33 pm #2

Welcome!

You have very nice coloration in your beard! The best advice to maximize your beard is to let everything grow untrimmed for at least 13 weeks (carving a neckline is optional at any time). Then you can assess what you have at the end of that time and either keep everything or carve/shape to accentuate your strengths. Keep posting weekly updates here for encouragement and support along the way.
Baldbandit's Journey                                                       
Useful Links
Library Central of Beard Growing,  
Patchy beard success stories,   
Beard Board Rules,  
Titles, and Advisors
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 8th, 2017, 2:25 pm #3

baldbandit wrote: Welcome!

You have very nice coloration in your beard! The best advice to maximize your beard is to let everything grow untrimmed for at least 13 weeks (carving a neckline is optional at any time). Then you can assess what you have at the end of that time and either keep everything or carve/shape to accentuate your strengths. Keep posting weekly updates here for encouragement and support along the way.
Thanks for the welcome and the reply, BB. I will follow your advice and let it grow for at least 13 weeks. I think that there will be more to work with in coming weeks, particularly when the lighter and slower growing hairs come out and mix with the more established ones.
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

beardedfather
Beard Titan
Joined: July 9th, 2010, 5:55 am

September 8th, 2017, 4:43 pm #4

Hey Nuuverbeer!
Nice to have you here.  Welcome. 

You have a nice reddish beard begun.  I think your 13 weeks will be a great journey for you.  It will be a first goal to know what you got, and then with a little tweaking you can maximize your strengths.  You do have a nice chin, and nice mustache.  Your soul patch is a great connector with the rest of your beard.  You have ear to ear coverage, and it will all fill in, so no worry about that.  Just how low your beard can grow behind your chin to your neck will be a good thing to find out.  I am hoping to see the results as you go week by week.

Your frontal view shows that your whole face will look nice and balanced, strong with the way your beard outlines it.  So, you have a win to begin with.  Now it is just time to see how much you win.

Please update by the week to see your progress, and we can support you.  I will follow your journey.
Grow away, sir.
My name is Tom
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 8th, 2017, 5:50 pm #5

beardedfather wrote: Hey Nuuverbeer!
Nice to have you here.  Welcome. 

You have a nice reddish beard begun.  I think your 13 weeks will be a great journey for you.  It will be a first goal to know what you got, and then with a little tweaking you can maximize your strengths.  You do have a nice chin, and nice mustache.  Your soul patch is a great connector with the rest of your beard.  You have ear to ear coverage, and it will all fill in, so no worry about that.  Just how low your beard can grow behind your chin to your neck will be a good thing to find out.  I am hoping to see the results as you go week by week.

Your frontal view shows that your whole face will look nice and balanced, strong with the way your beard outlines it.  So, you have a win to begin with.  Now it is just time to see how much you win.

Please update by the week to see your progress, and we can support you.  I will follow your journey.
Grow away, sir.
My name is Tom
Many thanks for the welcome and kind words, Tom. I expect there will be days to come where it looks like a squirrel's arse, but I think that awkward period where it just looks like lazy/hangover stubble is now passing. You have summed up what I've got going on in very complimentary terms, really appreciate that. The sides connecting with the chin and moustache will be a challenge for me I think, but I think the natural direction it grows is more on my side than against. I will be sure to update you guys on progress as the weeks roll on. All the best! 
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

beardedfather
Beard Titan
Joined: July 9th, 2010, 5:55 am

September 9th, 2017, 1:41 am #6

How about next week for an update?  You will be glad you did.
Tom
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 14th, 2017, 5:16 pm #7

3 week update chaps! Thanks for your support and interest so far. 

Things have moved on more or less as expected. Biggest surprise is that there are a mix of light blond and dark brown hairs coming through just below the cheekbones and closer to the side of mouth that seem to be slowly filling up on the cheeks. I think patience will be key with those hairs as they're late starters, quite fine and not densely clustered. The reddish bristly hairs along jawline and goatee are progressing quite well. Mustache is getting better at the sides, the very middle is quite scarce (half a dozen brownish hairs and a few light blondes) but immediately each side the gap is the thickest and most bristly part. Gaps to fill in on each side but I think that the slow growers catching up and blending into the established coppery area should help offset that. 

Any thoughts and advice welcome, cheers and best wishes!bb2.jpg
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 14th, 2017, 5:23 pm #8

3 week update chaps, thanks for the support and interest so far. 

26 years old, blond with a reddish beard developing. Things have moved on more or less as expected. Biggest surprise is that there are a mix of light blond and dark brown hairs coming through just below the cheekbones and closer to the side of mouth that seem to be slowly filling up on the cheeks. I think patience will be key with those hairs as they're late starters, quite fine and not densely clustered. The reddish bristly hairs along jawline and goatee are progressing quite well. Moustache is getting better at the sides, the very middle is quite scarce though (half a dozen brownish hairs and a few light blondes) but immediately each side the gap is the thickest and most bristly part. Gaps to fill in on each side but I think that the slow growers catching up and blending into the established coppery area should help offset that. 

Any thoughts and advice welcome, cheers and best wishes! bb2.png
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

Rumen
Beard Legend
Rumen
Beard Legend
Joined: October 25th, 2013, 9:23 pm

September 14th, 2017, 5:34 pm #9

Welcome to the board!

You're doing well for 3 weeks, keep it up. It's cool noticing new things about your own beard, it's very fun. Keep growing and you will get there, set yourself 13 weeks and you'll be surprised at the outcome. You can even grow beyond that, don't set yourself limits.

I love the colour, it's really awesome and suits you. Keep it up dude, keep updating every couple of weeks. Good luck and have fun on your journey. What changes have you seen since starting this journey, how do people perceive you? It's all very interesting and part of the journey of becoming bearded.

All the best
Rumen
My beard journey

Useful links
Beard growing library - everything you need to know about growing a beard
Patchy success stories - motivation for those with patchy beards
Taming the wild stache - how to deal with a stache that is getting out of control
Quote
Like
Share

Beard69
Beard Wizard
Beard69
Beard Wizard
Joined: June 26th, 2014, 9:00 pm

September 15th, 2017, 10:47 am #10

Your descriptions are right...patience is the KEY...give it the 13+x weeks time...cause as it is blonde it can need probably a tad longer....after all the slow growers and sleeping folicles joined the party you will see, if you like it and what kind of full beard variation is the best for you.

Grow grow grow and stay calmed

Dirk 

P.S. Please only post in one thread ...I merged your two threads...to change the title of your thread, just press edit at your first post...
" I don´t want a perfect live - only want a perfect beard"



My regular thread 

My monumental beards thread

Helpful links:
How to insert pics in your thread  Taming the Wild Stache  Patchy Beard success stories 
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Perfect beard products...
www.campbowiebeard.com; www.beardsmith.bigcartel.com; www.admiralredbeard.com; baldybeardy store at  www.etsy.com; www.barbam.nl; Proraso
  
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 15th, 2017, 6:50 pm #11

Beard69 wrote: Your descriptions are right...patience is the KEY...give it the 13+x weeks time...cause as it is blonde it can need probably a tad longer....after all the slow growers and sleeping folicles joined the party you will see, if you like it and what kind of full beard variation is the best for you.

Grow grow grow and stay calmed

Dirk 

P.S. Please only post in one thread ...I merged your two threads...to change the title of your thread, just press edit at your first post...
Thank you for the message and support, Dirk. I will stick to it! Thank you also for helping out with the thread merge, I had some difficulty figuring out how to do that but I know now. Cheers! 
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 15th, 2017, 7:04 pm #12

rumenvalev wrote: Welcome to the board!

You're doing well for 3 weeks, keep it up. It's cool noticing new things about your own beard, it's very fun. Keep growing and you will get there, set yourself 13 weeks and you'll be surprised at the outcome. You can even grow beyond that, don't set yourself limits.

I love the colour, it's really awesome and suits you. Keep it up dude, keep updating every couple of weeks. Good luck and have fun on your journey. What changes have you seen since starting this journey, how do people perceive you? It's all very interesting and part of the journey of becoming bearded.

All the best
Rumen
Thanks for the kind message and the support, Rumen, really appreciated mate. 

I grew an experimental 'viking' goatee (without the moustache) perhaps 18 months ago for around 3 months (with trimming) to a length of perhaps 2.5 inches. It was relatively successful, if not a bit 1990's Nu Metal style. I'm currently finding that the experience of growing a more conventional (less distinctive perhaps?) beard is less striking to people generally than that earlier experience. I got mainly positive comments with the goatee over and above the classic "what's all this then?" *touch* from family. I think that this will be a slow burner to be honest, where in a few weeks time someone might joke about me looking "radicalised" or 'scruffy' when the beard gains a bit more length and becomes more unruly. Will post again in 7-10 days :) 

All the best!
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

beardedfather
Beard Titan
Joined: July 9th, 2010, 5:55 am

September 15th, 2017, 7:19 pm #13

I wondered where you were.  You have been growing, and I am excited to see how you are filling in.  You will continue to see those little hairs continue to sprout and fill in.  Our hairs grow in cycles, and for the next few weeks, you will see the cycle continue.  I know about the comments, but we all have to take them in stride, because it comes with things we do that make changes for others to get used to. 

I look forward to your next update.  Your blond beard will do well, and continue to fill in.  The update will show the changes.
Grow on.
Tom
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 16th, 2017, 11:46 am #14

beardedfather wrote: I wondered where you were.  You have been growing, and I am excited to see how you are filling in.  You will continue to see those little hairs continue to sprout and fill in.  Our hairs grow in cycles, and for the next few weeks, you will see the cycle continue.  I know about the comments, but we all have to take them in stride, because it comes with things we do that make changes for others to get used to. 

I look forward to your next update.  Your blond beard will do well, and continue to fill in.  The update will show the changes.
Grow on.
Tom
Hello there Tom, good to hear from you again and not to worry, i'm still around and haven't thrown in the towel! 

I will be interested to observe the hair growth cycles you mention, as from what I have noticed so far it all seems to be growing at different speeds. At this stage I am wondering whether an oil or balm/wax might be of any benefit? I'm not a 'product' type of guy, but I appreciate that beards require a bit of care in order to be at their best. Perhaps that is something to think about further down the line.

Until the week 4 update, cheers and all the best! 
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

ryanoconner
Beard Friendly
ryanoconner
Beard Friendly
Joined: September 9th, 2017, 1:12 pm

September 16th, 2017, 11:58 am #15

Nuvverbeer wrote:
beardedfather wrote: I wondered where you were.  You have been growing, and I am excited to see how you are filling in.  You will continue to see those little hairs continue to sprout and fill in.  Our hairs grow in cycles, and for the next few weeks, you will see the cycle continue.  I know about the comments, but we all have to take them in stride, because it comes with things we do that make changes for others to get used to. 

I look forward to your next update.  Your blond beard will do well, and continue to fill in.  The update will show the changes.
Grow on.
Tom
Hello there Tom, good to hear from you again and not to worry, i'm still around and haven't thrown in the towel! 

I will be interested to observe the hair growth cycles you mention, as from what I have noticed so far it all seems to be growing at different speeds. At this stage I am wondering whether an oil or balm/wax might be of any benefit? I'm not a 'product' type of guy, but I appreciate that beards require a bit of care in order to be at their best. Perhaps that is something to think about further down the line.

Until the week 4 update, cheers and all the best! 
All of my hairs a growing a different speeds as well. But I'm hoping that will turn around! 
Looking forward to follow your progress, you're one week ahead of me :)
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 18th, 2017, 6:34 pm #16

ryanoconner wrote:
Nuvverbeer wrote:
beardedfather wrote: I wondered where you were.  You have been growing, and I am excited to see how you are filling in.  You will continue to see those little hairs continue to sprout and fill in.  Our hairs grow in cycles, and for the next few weeks, you will see the cycle continue.  I know about the comments, but we all have to take them in stride, because it comes with things we do that make changes for others to get used to. 

I look forward to your next update.  Your blond beard will do well, and continue to fill in.  The update will show the changes.
Grow on.
Tom
Hello there Tom, good to hear from you again and not to worry, i'm still around and haven't thrown in the towel! 

I will be interested to observe the hair growth cycles you mention, as from what I have noticed so far it all seems to be growing at different speeds. At this stage I am wondering whether an oil or balm/wax might be of any benefit? I'm not a 'product' type of guy, but I appreciate that beards require a bit of care in order to be at their best. Perhaps that is something to think about further down the line.

Until the week 4 update, cheers and all the best! 
All of my hairs a growing a different speeds as well. But I'm hoping that will turn around! 
Looking forward to follow your progress, you're one week ahead of me :)
Thanks for the message Ryan and keep up the growing yourself mate. I noticed your thread and your beard is coming along nicely, a great start! We'll see how we both progress next week and beyond. I'm between weeks 3-4 now and it's crazy how much an extra week or 10 days adds to the overall beard even in less noticable parts. Cheers!
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

ryanoconner
Beard Friendly
ryanoconner
Beard Friendly
Joined: September 9th, 2017, 1:12 pm

September 18th, 2017, 7:55 pm #17

Nuvverbeer wrote:Thanks for the message Ryan and keep up the growing yourself mate. I noticed your thread and your beard is coming along nicely, a great start! We'll see how we both progress next week and beyond. I'm between weeks 3-4 now and it's crazy how much an extra week or 10 days adds to the overall beard even in less noticable parts. Cheers!
Cool! Yeah, I've seen some new stuff already during the past 4 days! 
Can't wait to see how it will look at week 4! ... and 16 :) 

Grow on!
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 20th, 2017, 7:53 pm #18

Greetings chaps, hope you all are well.

Week 4 update here, approximately at end of first month of no face shaving. 

Seems to be coming along now and it is recognised by others as being a beard that is here for the foreseeable. The photos aren't close-up enough at this size to pick up on developing blond and darker hairs directly along and just below cheekbone. Not exactly thick coverage higher up on face but there are noticeable clusters of blond and also dark brown at around 5mm length at the moment on cheekbone that have potential to 'fall' on top of the thinner patches along cheekline. 

It's at the stage where parts of the sides are poking out at half inch, maybe 2cm length and looking a bit wild. Any tips on how to address that would be very welcome! Some hairs haven't been adjusted to gravity just yet but the hedgehog look is not the one haha!

Cheers gents and all the best.
bb3.jpg
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

PMKinFTW
Beard Titan
PMKinFTW
Beard Titan
Joined: January 16th, 2014, 2:57 pm

September 21st, 2017, 12:37 am #19

Is that your natural neckline or are you lining it?  If you can i would suggest bringing it down a little lower.  It would help give it a fuller look.
"If you want to look like the people next door, you're probably smothering yourself and your dreams." ~ Clive Barker
My Journey
Taming the Wild Stache

My personal links - These will take you away from the board.
Camp Bowie Beard Co. / My Etsy Shop / Instagram
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

September 21st, 2017, 6:38 pm #20

PMKinFTW wrote: Is that your natural neckline or are you lining it?  If you can i would suggest bringing it down a little lower.  It would help give it a fuller look.
Hey PMKinFTW, thanks for your message and I absolutely agree with your thoughts. Unfortunately a conventional neckline is going to be a challenge due to a very scarce frontal strip immediately below goatee (perhaps 1inch in length and 2-3 inches in width where just a dozen hairs grow). Neckline is currently trimmed/carved higher than it ideally will be in order to create as much balance as I can manage whilst the facial areas grow out (and potentially hang lower over the gaps in coming weeks). 

Ironically perhaps, my neck hairs (broadly speaking) are thicker and faster growing than my cheek hairs, but are a strong contrast against the gaps in the neck and don't connect to goatee. Intended strategy is to 'phase in' a lower neckline as the facial hairs grow out, I begun that a week ago and I think I could realistically grow a rougher/more patchy neckline below where current one is, but it will be a little bare directly below goatee. 
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share