Kobbs
Beard Master
Kobbs
Beard Master

1:33 PM - May 15, 2018 #641

It looks spot on natural. Absolutely looks great and believable. I thought it was natural :) glad to hear your family likes the beard. Maybe your son will be on this board some day!!
Follow My Journey At...
Kobbs Beard Journey

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

2:31 PM - May 15, 2018 #642

ShaunMV wrote:
MplsGuy wrote:Trim Day! I visited my barber and got tidied up. I seem to have settled on a preferred corporate look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking great Randy. You pull off the corporate look very well! Take care.

Shaun

Shaun,

It's pretty meek and mild compared with your awesome mane, but it's what works for me in my particular situation. I like how it looks and feels when it gets bigger, but that also makes me feel a bit self-conscious in the corporate setting.

I always enjoy seeing your pictures, and I appreciate your great attitude toward life!

All the best,

Randy

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

2:41 PM - May 15, 2018 #643

birdbeard wrote: Hi, it looks like you have settled on a great stile, head and sharp and by letting the gray come a little through it looks natural. I might be tempted to try out this shampoo for fun, I like my gray though, and more really as it gets grayer because I like it more unicoloured over spotty. 
Thanks, birdbeard! Your gray beard looks great on you!. If you want to try adding some color, you can do it very gradually with this product, so there's no drastic change. It will gradually add color to the lighter hairs, evening out the color. The darker hairs will still look darker, so it won't get that "all one color" look that makes it look dyed. It starts to fade after a few days, so you won't be stuck with a color you don't like.

Thanks for the kind words,

Randy

johnsow30
Beard Legend
johnsow30
Beard Legend

2:59 PM - May 15, 2018 #644

The short corporate look is great on you.  It is nice to settle in on a style that you're comfortable with.  Maybe someday you'll let it all grow long.

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

3:07 PM - May 15, 2018 #645

BladeAverse wrote: Hey Randy, it sounds as though you've arrived in a true comfort zone, having found a style that you like to maintain. It's a good look, and one worth repeating. It's good to hear that your family have all come around these days, too.

Thanks for the rundown on the JFM shampoo. As I've mentioned before, I've waited way too long to start coloring my hair and keeping it a secret, but I do look at that shelf in the store every now & then and wonder about the various products. Who knows, maybe I'll give that shampoo a try one of these days, just a little bit at a time, and see what happens.

- Jerry
Thanks, Jerry. While I sometimes wish I felt free to grow it out longer, I'm mostly happy with the shorter look. With the help of my great barber, I'm closing in the right balance. Maybe someday I'll feel free to let it grow the way it wants to!

Randy

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

3:29 PM - May 15, 2018 #646

johnsow30 wrote: The short corporate look is great on you.  It is nice to settle in on a style that you're comfortable with.  Maybe someday you'll let it all grow long.
Thank you very much! I'm happy with the current look, but one fine day I'm going to cut loose and let it grow. Maybe not until I change jobs or retire, but eventually. I'm glad you've shown the way!

Randy

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

3:58 PM - May 15, 2018 #647

Kobbs wrote: It looks spot on natural. Absolutely looks great and believable. I thought it was natural :) glad to hear your family likes the beard. Maybe your son will be on this board some day!!
Thanks, Kobbs! I appreciate the kinds words. If my son ever grows a beard, I'll need to check for icing conditions in a place that's traditionally very warm! But strange things do sometime happen.

It's so good to see you growing your beard again. Shake off your doubts! You have a great beard, whether it's short, long, or somewhere in between. I think your doubts are really more about your internal adjustment to your new bearded look. Give yourself time, and embrace it. And just a suggestion: making an immediate commitment to grow it out really long may be too much. You may be better off growing it out for a while, and then keeping it trimmed at a shorter "corporate" length for a while in order to give yourself time to adjust. One of the challenges for me is that when my beard gets longer it really starts to change the shape of my face and give me a "wild man" look that's hard for me to relate to. I've realized that if I ever do grow mine out longer, I'm going to have to take it in stages and give myself time to adjust along the way.

BladeAverse
Beard Legend
BladeAverse
Beard Legend

2:53 AM - May 16, 2018 #648

@MplsGuy  & @Kobbs you guys are on the right track. It only took me 18-1/2 years into my 4th beard to decide to abandon a fairly short look, so there's every chance you'll feel ready to experiment one day. It doesn't really matter all that much one way or the other, but I will say, I've had a lot of fun trying this out!

- Jerry

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

3:58 PM - May 16, 2018 #649

BladeAverse wrote: @MplsGuy  & @Kobbs you guys are on the right track. It only took me 18-1/2 years into my 4th beard to decide to abandon a fairly short look, so there's every chance you'll feel ready to experiment one day. It doesn't really matter all that much one way or the other, but I will say, I've had a lot of fun trying this out!

- Jerry
Thanks, Jerry! Its all good! I'm enjoying experimenting within my current narrow range. The one thing I have no intention of doing is shaving. Once in a while I come across a picture of myself pre-beard; I'm always startled by how naked (and wimpy) my face looks!

Kobbs
Beard Master
Kobbs
Beard Master

4:16 PM - May 16, 2018 #650

Post a pre-Beard picture! I can't even imagine it.
Follow My Journey At...
Kobbs Beard Journey

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

4:26 PM - May 16, 2018 #651

Kobbs wrote:Post a pre-Beard picture! I can't even imagine it.

Kobbs
Beard Master
Kobbs
Beard Master

5:36 PM - May 16, 2018 #652

Holy Toledo...Oh my .. Oh Me O My-O,
    I have to say it... I absolutely ... completely.... prefer the beard! I know you do to!  Also, I bet your wife does as well!  Your a good looking dude either way, but the beard defiantly brings out the masculinity side of your look. Glad you are staying bearded! Keep it up. You inspire us all.

P.S. Did you get a plant for your new office yet?
Follow My Journey At...
Kobbs Beard Journey

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

5:48 PM - May 16, 2018 #653

Kobbs wrote:Holy Toledo...Oh my .. Oh Me O My-O,
    I have to say it... I absolutely ... completely.... prefer the beard! I know you do to!  Also, I bet your wife does as well!  Your a good looking dude either way, but the beard defiantly brings out the masculinity side of your look. Glad you are staying bearded! Keep it up. You inspire us all.

P.S. Did you get a plant for your new office yet?
Thanks, Kobbs! As I said, the pre-beard looks is jarring. And people react to me differently. I like the change!

No plant yet, and in my new job I’m not in the office every day. As much as I like the idea, I don’t want to have to go in just to water a plant. So time will tell.

Bearded in BC
Beard Jedi

6:19 PM - May 16, 2018 #654

Randy,
Just catching up on your thread. You definitely have the quintessential professonal beard down pat, and it looks great. Nice to read that your beard is well accepted now, too. I was particularly impressed by your colouring tips in post #638 - what a fantastic resource. You've really addressed the entire process well and have proven solutions to the common problems of dying. That is a post that I'll keep in mind for any gents asking about colouring; you are the go to guy. Great to see your pre-bearded pic too; it is amazing how much a beard can change a man's appearance. At this point, I'm even finding it a bit strange to look back on myself with a short beard vs. the length I have now.
All the best,
- Fred
You either live life -- bruises, skinned knees and all -- or you turn your back on it and begin dying - Christopher Pike paraphrasing Dr. Philip Boyce (Star Trek - "The Cage")

Bearded in BC's Thread

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

6:31 PM - May 16, 2018 #655

Bearded in BC wrote: Randy,
Just catching up on your thread. You definitely have the quintessential professonal beard down pat, and it looks great. Nice to read that your beard is well accepted now, too. I was particularly impressed by your colouring tips in post #638 - what a fantastic resource. You've really addressed the entire process well and have proven solutions to the common problems of dying. That is a post that I'll keep in mind for any gents asking about colouring; you are the go to guy. Great to see your pre-bearded pic too; it is amazing how much a beard can change a man's appearance. At this point, I'm even finding it a bit strange to look back on myself with a short beard vs. the length I have now.
All the best,
- Fred
Thanks for the kind words, Fred! I hope the information I shared will be helpful to others. I think the color issue makes a lot of guys give up on having a beard.

You have a great looking beard. One of these days I'd really like to let mine grow, but for now I'll have to watch what others do. It's interesting how we grow accustomed to how we look, and a major change can be hard to accept.

Randy

Kobbs
Beard Master
Kobbs
Beard Master

7:02 PM - May 16, 2018 #656

I looked back at your starting pictures (5 weeks) and I am blown away in the difference. What is interesting is that the beard is relatively the same length, but giving the beard time for the slow growers to catch up has turned your beard into a Full Beard. You remember the beginning days (I was there), you were very unsure of your ability to grow a full, thick beard. I just wanted to comment, Time really shows how letting slow growers catch up can turn a beard filled with insecurities into a full, thick beard worth of envy. You should look at your first few posts Randy. It is absolute amazing. Same length... Different Beards... Different men :) Keep it up Sir
Follow My Journey At...
Kobbs Beard Journey

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

7:55 PM - May 16, 2018 #657

Kobbs wrote: I looked back at your starting pictures (5 weeks) and I am blown away in the difference. What is interesting is that the beard is relatively the same length, but giving the beard time for the slow growers to catch up has turned your beard into a Full Beard. You remember the beginning days (I was there), you were very unsure of your ability to grow a full, thick beard. I just wanted to comment, Time really shows how letting slow growers catch up can turn a beard filled with insecurities into a full, thick beard worth of envy. You should look at your first few posts Randy. It is absolute amazing. Same length... Different Beards... Different men :) Keep it up Sir
Thanks, Kobbs! I'm very happy to have stuck with it. In regard to the length, I did some checking. Because my barber shapes it, the hairs aren't all the same length, but in the main part of it--the chin and lower cheeks--the hairs are about 1.5" long. It tapers toward the back and the sideburn area, and the mustache is shorter. Given the fact that human hair generally grows about .5" a month, that's about a three month length. That fits perfectly with the advice that's always given on this board to let it grow untrimmed for 13 weeks. I messed up my early growth by carving down the cheeks at 5 weeks, and it took them a while to catch up. As it turns out I had pretty good growth in the upper cheeks and needed them to make the rest of it look full. I can get by with trimming it down to about an inch, but anything less than that and it starts to look thin. That's in keeping with my experience of doubting it at five weeks but being pretty happy with it at eight weeks. 

This is certainly an interesting journey. There's a lot of bad advice out there, and a lot of guys who think they need to give up if they can't grow a nice beard in a month. Most guys need much longer than that, and anybody who can grow full beard in a month is way over on the heavily bearded (and fast growing) side of the bell curve. By definition, most of us are average, and the average guy needs more time and length.

Growing a beard is primarily an exercise in patience. I tend to think that I can make things happen through my own efforts: pushing myself a little more, working harder. Growing a beard is something I can't control. I don't have to do anything, and I can't do anything. So there's no illusion that I have control. It's kind of a Zen-like experience. And the first time you do it, you really don't know how it's going to turn out.

Pandarocks
Beard Jedi
Pandarocks
Beard Jedi

3:20 AM - May 17, 2018 #658

Pre beard Randy looks like Bearded Randy’s brother wishing he was bearded. I like the set of your professional beard, bud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MplsGuy
Beard Master
MplsGuy
Beard Master

3:30 AM - May 17, 2018 #659

Pandarocks wrote:Pre beard Randy looks like Bearded Randy’s brother wishing he was bearded. I like the set of your professional beard, bud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, Scott. I really love that comment.

BladeAverse
Beard Legend
BladeAverse
Beard Legend

4:06 AM - May 17, 2018 #660

MplsGuy wrote:
BladeAverse wrote: @MplsGuy  & @Kobbs you guys are on the right track. It only took me 18-1/2 years into my 4th beard to decide to abandon a fairly short look, so there's every chance you'll feel ready to experiment one day. It doesn't really matter all that much one way or the other, but I will say, I've had a lot of fun trying this out!

- Jerry
Thanks, Jerry! Its all good! I'm enjoying experimenting within my current narrow range. The one thing I have no intention of doing is shaving. Once in a while I come across a picture of myself pre-beard; I'm always startled by how naked (and wimpy) my face looks!
You got me Randy! I was nodding my head in agreement with your comment, and thought I could hear the last few words coming, but then you surprised me by saying something other than "naked and young"! I think you chose too strong a word, but there's no question, a beard does change a man's appearance!