MplsGuy’s Journey: Eight Months and Counting

For any man 20 and older with a shorter beard (or any facial hair style) and prior beard experience who wants to show off his beard and share his experience.

MplsGuy’s Journey: Eight Months and Counting

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 11th, 2017, 6:58 pm #1

Hi guys! After five weeks I'm getting discouraged. It seems thin, and I'm wondering if there's hope that it will fill in and look better with more length.

Lighting makes a big difference; in softer light it looks pretty good, but in harsh light not so great.
4.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
4.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg
Last edited by MplsGuy on October 23rd, 2017, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 11th, 2017, 7:01 pm #2

Here are a couple of pics in brighter light. Looks awfully sparse to me.

8.jpg

7.jpg
Quote
Like
Share

Patcheee
Beard Friendly
Patcheee
Beard Friendly
Joined: October 10th, 2017, 11:42 pm

October 11th, 2017, 11:17 pm #3

5 weeks is still very early. I'm guessing that if you double that amount of time, or go for the 13 weeks most folks recommend, you will have the beard you strive for. You already have a good start, so you might as well push on towards having something great.
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 12th, 2017, 2:01 am #4

Patcheee wrote: 5 weeks is still very early.  I'm guessing that if you double that amount of time, or go for the 13 weeks most folks recommend, you will have the beard you strive for.  You already have a good start, so you might as well push on towards having something great.
Thanks for the encouragement, Patcheee. I plan to hang in there for the duration, but it will be easier if I can feel hopeful.
Quote
Like
Share

gato
Beard Titan
gato
Beard Titan
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 11:36 am

October 12th, 2017, 9:48 am #5

Welcome to the board.  

You really have no reason to worry and every reason to feel hopeful.  You have good coverage and density through your stache, chin, on the cheeks and along the jawline. At only 5 weeks, your beard is coming along well.  

In fact, I would guess that you will be pretty surprised how much more your beard will fill in over the coming 8 weeks.

At this point, I have a couple of suggestions:

Firstly, it looks to me like you may have defined your neckline a little high (in my opinion).  Neckline placement is pretty subjective, but my usual recommendation is to place it about 1cm above the top of your Adam's Apple. Allowing the hair lower on the neck to grow will improve the overall shape of your beard and will help make your beard appear more substantial.  I would allow everything on your neck to grow for a few days, and then define a new neckline on Monday.  You don't need to shave and start over, just let this extra strip fill in.  It will start to blend well pretty quickly.

Second is the cheeklines.  It looks like you are carving the cheeklines.  How much growth do you have above these lines?  Many guys start to define their cheeklines from the beginning, but they don't realise how little growth it takes to fill in an area, and I suspect that your cheeklines could possibly be higher than you have them placed (again, this is subjective).  If you would prefer lines higher than you have defined them, for the next few weeks I recommend only shaving off the few hairs that are well above the others.   You will likely eventually need to bring the cheekline back down a little again, but it's easier to define the cheeklines once there is more substantial growth there to see what you are working with.

I look forward to seeing your progress.
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 12th, 2017, 1:48 pm #6

gato wrote: Welcome to the board.  

You really have no reason to worry and every reason to feel hopeful.  You have good coverage and density through your stache, chin, on the cheeks and along the jawline. At only 5 weeks, your beard is coming along well.  

In fact, I would guess that you will be pretty surprised how much more your beard will fill in over the coming 8 weeks.

At this point, I have a couple of suggestions:

Firstly, it looks to me like you may have defined your neckline a little high (in my opinion).  Neckline placement is pretty subjective, but my usual recommendation is to place it about 1cm above the top of your Adam's Apple. Allowing the hair lower on the neck to grow will improve the overall shape of your beard and will help make your beard appear more substantial.  I would allow everything on your neck to grow for a few days, and then define a new neckline on Monday.  You don't need to shave and start over, just let this extra strip fill in.  It will start to blend well pretty quickly.

Second is the cheeklines.  It looks like you are carving the cheeklines.  How much growth do you have above these lines?  Many guys start to define their cheeklines from the beginning, but they don't realise how little growth it takes to fill in an area, and I suspect that your cheeklines could possibly be higher than you have them placed (again, this is subjective).  If you would prefer lines higher than you have defined them, for the next few weeks I recommend only shaving off the few hairs that are well above the others.   You will likely eventually need to bring the cheekline back down a little again, but it's easier to define the cheeklines once there is more substantial growth there to see what you are working with.

I look forward to seeing your progress.
Thanks! I agree about the neck and cheeks. There's quite a bit of growth higher up on the cheeks; in fact the reason I trimmed them is that I thought it looked unbalanced to have it growing so high up on the cheeks with so little under the lip. As it fills in that seems to be less of a concern, so I'm going to let it regrow higher up. And as I trimmed to define the cheek line I tried to exclude a weak spot, which brought the line down lower than I really wanted it. I've also created a significant area that needs to be shaved, which defeats part of the purpose of growing a beard.

As for the neck, I'll try bringing that down a little further, too. Should it be lower all the way across, or just in the middle?
Quote
Like
Share

gato
Beard Titan
gato
Beard Titan
Joined: May 4th, 2014, 11:36 am

October 13th, 2017, 9:48 am #7

For the neckline, I would say that the position looks good in the corners under the ears, so it needs to come down more in the middle.
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 13th, 2017, 7:09 pm #8

gato wrote: For the neckline, I would say that the position looks good in the corners under the ears, so it needs to come down more in the middle.
Thanks! I think that's good advice. I'm letting it grow until it gets scruffy and then I'll lower the line. I'm letting the sides grow again, too.
Quote
Like
Share

johnsow30
Beard Legend
johnsow30
Beard Legend
Joined: July 8th, 2016, 12:44 am

October 13th, 2017, 7:32 pm #9

You are in way better shape than I was at 5 weeks.  I didn't start posting pics until week 7 and I was pretty discouraged and not very hopeful through week 10, at which time it started filling in better.  For me, with pretty sparse cheeks, a short beard doesn't really work, but once I get some length it looks a lot better.  I imagine it may be the same for you, although you look like you have better coverage than I do, so just give it time.  I think by 13 weeks you will be very happy.  
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 13th, 2017, 7:42 pm #10

johnsow30 wrote: You are in way better shape than I was at 5 weeks.  I didn't start posting pics until week 7 and I was pretty discouraged and not very hopeful through week 10, at which time it started filling in better.  For me, with pretty sparse cheeks, a short beard doesn't really work, but once I get some length it looks a lot better.  I imagine it may be the same for you, although you look like you have better coverage than I do, so just give it time.  I think by 13 weeks you will be very happy.  
 I really appreciate the encouragement! I just checked out your journey, and yours looks great!  I'd be delighted if mine turns out that well.
Quote
Like
Share

Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Nuvverbeer
Beard Master
Joined: September 8th, 2017, 12:09 pm

October 13th, 2017, 8:43 pm #11

Your beard is looking very nice mate and the overall look is very masculine and flattering. The cheeks are very much set up to fill in and gain bushiness as you grow on. You are close to the stage where you consider brushing moustache to sides or trimming under the top lip. The advice I have received so far and that I stand by is to avoid trimming and brush moustache to the sides. You will gain more length and shape as it continues growing this way and can always check out the tash a few weeks later and see what the best style could be, even if you decide to have an all-natural look. Also, if you haven't already, buy a boars hair brush to comb it all downwards and shape/clean the beard as you grow. Keep growing dude.
Check out my beard journey here: https://tinyurl.com/Nuvverbeer-s-Beard-Journey
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 13th, 2017, 9:05 pm #12

Nuvverbeer wrote: Your beard is looking very nice mate and the overall look is very masculine and flattering. The cheeks are very much set up to fill in and gain bushiness as you grow on. You are close to the stage where you consider brushing moustache to sides or trimming under the top lip. The advice I have received so far and that I stand by is to avoid trimming and brush moustache to the sides. You will gain more length and shape as it continues growing this way and can always check out the tash a few weeks later and see what the best style could be, even if you decide to have an all-natural look. Also, if you haven't already, buy a boars hair brush to comb it all downwards and shape/clean the beard as you grow. Keep growing dude.
Thank you for the encouraging words! I see you're persevering, and yours is coming along nicely. My mustache consists of coarse, stiff, wiry hairs (much more so than the rest of my beard. The hairs tend to curl down and poke into my lip, so I've started using mustache wax part of the time. I don't have the technique mastered, but since I need the fullness, I want to train the hairs to go to the side if possible rather than trimming them.
Quote
Like
Share

Slybeard
Beard Titan
Slybeard
Beard Titan
Joined: October 31st, 2013, 12:18 am

October 15th, 2017, 3:04 am #13

Remember these three words, patience, time, and length.  Those are all you need.
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 15th, 2017, 3:15 am #14

Slybeard wrote: Remember these three words, patience, time, and length.  Those are all you need.
Thanks, Slybeard. I appreciate the encouragement!
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 18th, 2017, 1:51 am #15

Six week update. Still thin enough that I’m tempted to give up.

Based on Gato’s good advice I’m letting the cheeks grow again, having carved them too low. Also lowering the neck line.


20C0FC5B-1EDA-4692-8746-31C3BC001F53.jpeg

BCE36D0B-12AF-4192-9096-54069AC1A6E7.jpeg

81CEC0C4-13EC-4027-A27C-8E7E3D02C455.jpeg
Quote
Like
Share

beardedfather
Beard Titan
Joined: July 9th, 2010, 5:55 am

October 18th, 2017, 2:05 am #16

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!  Don't you dare give up. I'm 59, and need someone closer to my age.  You have a great beginning, and especially since you let your cheeks come in, and your neck go lower, you have a great color and nice lines.  It will be a handsome beard.  I think you need to commit to 13 weeks (3 months) and then see what is happening.

I also believe you need to do lots of updates so you can see the development and progress of your beard.  Nothing is lacking, and you will have an awesome beard, but for now, just be patient.  You will be rewarded.
Grow on.
Welcome.
My name is Tom
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 18th, 2017, 2:13 am #17

beardedfather wrote: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!  Don't you dare give up. I'm 59, and need someone closer to my age.  You have a great beginning, and especially since you let your cheeks come in, and your neck go lower, you have a great color and nice lines.  It will be a handsome beard.  I think you need to commit to 13 weeks (3 months) and then see what is happening.

I also believe you need to do lots of updates so you can see the development and progress of your beard.  Nothing is lacking, and you will have an awesome beard, but for now, just be patient.  You will be rewarded.
Grow on.
Welcome.
My name is Tom
Thanks, Tom! I appreciate the encouraging words.
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 18th, 2017, 2:23 am #18

Here’s one that’s not so wind blown.

F4F8DC3C-BF8B-4FC0-B0E7-803DB2F431BB.jpeg
Quote
Like
Share

baldbandit
Beard Wizard
baldbandit
Beard Wizard
Joined: January 8th, 2016, 9:13 am

October 18th, 2017, 12:26 pm #19

That's looking good! You're on your way to a great beard 👍
Baldbandit's Journey                                                       
Useful Links
Library Central of Beard Growing,  
Patchy beard success stories,   
Beard Board Rules,  
Titles, and Advisors
Quote
Like
Share

MplsGuy
Beard Elite
MplsGuy
Beard Elite
Joined: October 11th, 2017, 5:36 pm

October 18th, 2017, 3:46 pm #20

baldbandit wrote: That's looking good! You're on your way to a great beard 👍
Thanks! I appreciate that. I'm pretty self-conscious about it, but feeling more hopeful as time goes on.
Quote
Like
Share