Home made beard oil

The place to discuss your experiences with beard products or ask any general questions related to beard products.

Home made beard oil

thesmallprint
Beard Newcomer
thesmallprint
Beard Newcomer

March 4th, 2018, 8:20 pm #1

Hey - just dipping back into the forum after a bit of an absence! 

I wanted to find out if anyone else here has experimented with making beard oil at home and, if so, what oils do you mix together?

I've been using a mixture of 1/3rd argan oil and 2/3 almond oil. Seems to work fairly well, but wondered if anyone else had come up with anything better.

Thanks!

David

Beardenator
Beard Legend
Beardenator
Beard Legend

March 10th, 2018, 5:00 pm #2

I have one that might sound unusual, but I have had good results with it.  I do not have exact ingredient measurements as I just eyeball it and tweek it a little every time I make it.  Ingredients are Black Seed Oil, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3 and Iodine (Lugol's Solution).  I am a big proponent of Iodine after researching it and realizing the many benefits it offers as a supplement and topically.  This homemade solution creates a warming effect when rubbed into the beard and skin.  It seems to keep my beard healthy and manageable when applied once a week.  Just a note of caution.....when using Iodine for anything, be sure it is Potassium Iodide as in Lugol's Solution, NOT Tincture of Iodine solutions that are used for cuts.  Tinctures can be toxic. 

rscrann
Beard Friendly
rscrann
Beard Friendly

July 10th, 2018, 4:20 am #3

I have been using 50% jojoba and 50% sweet almond oil. That combo works great for me. I’m looking for a good balm with some hold now that my beard is getting longer. I don’t like the fragrance in any balm I have smelled or tried. 

bfcerny
Beard Regular
bfcerny
Beard Regular

July 10th, 2018, 4:26 am #4

rscrann wrote: I have been using 50% jojoba and 50% sweet almond oil. That combo works great for me. I’m looking for a good balm with some hold now that my beard is getting longer. I don’t like the fragrance in any balm I have smelled or tried. 
You should request a free sample under the products thread!
Man was meant to be a free species. Exploring the wonders and beauty of the world in the one life we get on this rock. Shaving is an un-natural and man made practice designed to make you conform. I shall rebel in that sense. - Me

Alpine
Beard Elite
Alpine
Beard Elite

July 11th, 2018, 9:49 am #5

Grape seed, argan, sweet almond, and jojoba oil is what i am currently mixing. 25% of each. It has a balanced mix of different oil types. Thats what the internet says at least.
Advantage: grape seed oil is cheap and available in the food oil section.

bfcerny
Beard Regular
bfcerny
Beard Regular

July 12th, 2018, 6:14 pm #6

Is anyone using 100% organic cold pressed Argan oil in their mixture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man was meant to be a free species. Exploring the wonders and beauty of the world in the one life we get on this rock. Shaving is an un-natural and man made practice designed to make you conform. I shall rebel in that sense. - Me

imaginary
Beard Legend
imaginary
Beard Legend

July 15th, 2018, 4:03 am #7

I tried the Old Spice beard oil recipe that can be found by googling it. Not recommended.

"Be yourself. There's no one who does it quite like you."
Kevin Max

Alpine
Beard Elite
Alpine
Beard Elite

Yesterday, 6:16 am #8

bfcerny wrote: Is anyone using 100% organic cold pressed Argan oil in their mixture?

no i haven't. mainly because it is expensive.

bfcerny
Beard Regular
bfcerny
Beard Regular

Yesterday, 6:49 am #9

Would you buy beard oil with it in there if it was a bit more expensive than regular beard oil given that it works amazingly to take your beard?

Sent from my “electronic distraction box” please ignore my typos and put your phone down, light a cigar, pour a scotch, spend more time with your family and friends, and reply whenever the hell you feel like it.

Alpine
Beard Elite
Alpine
Beard Elite

Yesterday, 3:01 pm #10

bfcerny wrote: Would you buy beard oil with it in there if it was a bit more expensive than regular beard oil given that it works amazingly to take your beard?

Sent from my “electronic distraction box” please ignore my typos and put your phone down, light a cigar, pour a scotch, spend more time with your family and friends, and reply whenever the hell you feel like it.
i mix my own, so a hardly buy any beard oil. but i think it makes sense to use argan oil in beard oils even if it gets more expensive.