BladeAverse
Beard Legend
BladeAverse
Beard Legend

March 14th, 2018, 3:17 am #41

Indeed, one never knows where the path will eventually lead. After 19 years wearing a relatively short beard, I started lurking around this board. It didn't take long before I decided it was time to try something new. I never imagined I would go beyond Short Beards territory, but it just started to happen, and I started to like it. So, never say never!

- Jerry

gato
Beard Titan
gato
Beard Titan

March 14th, 2018, 9:24 am #42

Very nice beard in that work picture - I hope you're enjoying it as much as that smile would indicate.

Crowell392
Beard Friendly
Crowell392
Beard Friendly

March 14th, 2018, 1:44 pm #43

The beard looks great on you keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

johnsow30
Beard Legend
johnsow30
Beard Legend

March 14th, 2018, 2:56 pm #44

Great shot sir. You look like a comfortably bearded man.  

jfc
Beard Friendly
jfc
Beard Friendly

April 12th, 2018, 6:03 pm #45

Gentlemen, as usual it has been good to watch the progress and bearding adventures of others here on this board. My bearded journey has included continuous surface trimming to maintain a professional appearance for work appropriateness over the past several months during my first growing experience. Most recently my beard goal has been neatly trimmed and somewhat controlled growing to a 3” drop from the bottom of the bottom lip and I’m pleased to report that I’m there. Mission accomplished, and it’s a good feeling. Probably would have been a faster ride than the past 8 months if I had set down the scissors, but we’ve all gotta do what we’ve all gotta do. I’ve recently let the cheekline go just a bit more natural and am now letting the undercarriage above the neckline and below the chin grow without trimming. I’ve got a big round/oval shaped cranium and so with letting my barber style the sides just a bit shorter and then growing out the front and under the chin I now have the appearance of a more elongated head...for the first time in my life. Which I like. Had I known that this would be the visual result of growing a beard, I might have headed down the path years ago. Yes, everyone wants that which they don’t have. And I’ve now found that for me additional length under the chin comes with a bit of waviness which personally I find to be kinda bada** ...so filling out under my chin is now my next goal. I doubt that I have patience, perseverance and desire enough to go full handlebar on the mustache but I’ve slowed trimming there also to bulk up just...a...hair. (Sorry, couldn’t resist that.) Beard on! JC

BladeAverse
Beard Legend
BladeAverse
Beard Legend

April 13th, 2018, 4:32 am #46

Looking very good there sir! You're just beginning to experience the "sliding scale" of beardedness that so many of us experience. As your beard/stache grows, your sense of what constitutes a "big beard" is likely to change along with it. What once seemed like a very long beard will no longer seem so remarkable as your beard gets closer to that size. It's a strange phenomenon, but it seems to happen to lots of men.

Your slow but steady approach is working well, and has kept you looking neat and tidy the whole time. Kudos!

- Jerry

gato
Beard Titan
gato
Beard Titan

April 13th, 2018, 10:25 am #47

Kudos to you for allowing your beard to progress slowly and carefully - while enjoying the process.

Your beard looks great - and the natural cheeklines have added a nice dimension.  It will be interesting to see where you go over the coming months.

johnsow30
Beard Legend
johnsow30
Beard Legend

April 13th, 2018, 2:57 pm #48

Your beard looks great.  I know what you mean about the beard changing the shape of your face, it really is amazing what a beard can do for your whole look.  Keep it growing, I'm curious to see where you go next.

Rothenberger
Beard Legend
Rothenberger
Beard Legend

April 14th, 2018, 8:02 am #49

Your beard looks great! And a tip: it is not really neccessary to keep your beard short in order to look professional. The secret is in the way you present and maintain the beard. A well cared for longer or bigger beard looks totally professional too! So, I wouldn't worry about that, you have great material and many options, and you should explore them all and have great fun in doing so! :-) 

Pandarocks
Beard Jedi
Pandarocks
Beard Jedi

April 14th, 2018, 12:40 pm #50

jfc...you look great at this length. Isn't it wonderful to find a new way to present yourself and show other sides of your personality via your beard? I guarantee that you'll find new lengths or styles to come and it will be accepted wherever you feet trod. You are quite a different man than when you started. Good going and growing! Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jfc
Beard Friendly
jfc
Beard Friendly

May 14th, 2018, 10:12 pm #51

Greetings fellow beardsmen. Always good to catch up on the board. I’ve been working toward a fuller beard instead of a longer beard. Think I’m fairly happy with the length for now which is still a 3” drop. And my wife, who is a fan of stubble length, also thinks this is long enough...so I guess we’re both happy! With some additional length after my last posting, a point at the bottom of my chin started forming and so I gathered the courage to whack off some growth with scissors and am pleased with the current more rounded look. But I’ve continued to leave more of a drop under my chin which I like a lot. Going for a bigger effect in the front central region of my face while keeping the sides in the current neighborhood for length. Have pulled back on mustache trimming which is an interesting process. The left side has naturally organized itself into a sweep and is heading toward a handlebar. The right side of my mustache, however, is much more like a disorganized high school marching band with no clear sense of direction and every day seems to offer a new variation of dysfunction. I’ve started in with mustache wax in order to try and provide some much needed direction but am not so sure that I’m willing to go the next step with the glue approach I’ve read about here and other places. I may or may not still have a fuller mustache as of my next posting...we’ll see. This process is nothing if not entertaining. Best, JC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BladeAverse
Beard Legend
BladeAverse
Beard Legend

May 15th, 2018, 3:59 am #52

Great update! Your trim looks very good, and you've created a really nice shape. It's good to hear that you're forming a definite sense of what you like, as that would seem to indicate that you've become very comfortable with your beard.

Your fuller look is a good one - you have plenty of fullness in your growth. I can't see the mayhem you describe in your mustache, but that doesn't mean it doesn't show itself now and then. As you say though, the most important thing is finding what you like, and it's also good when it can be something your wife likes too.

- Jerry

gato
Beard Titan
gato
Beard Titan

May 15th, 2018, 9:38 am #53

Nice to see your update - and I'm glad you found a look that both you and your wife are happy with.

Very nice full beard sir!

jfc
Beard Friendly
jfc
Beard Friendly

May 15th, 2018, 12:11 pm #54

BladeAverse wrote:Great update! Your trim looks very good, and you've created a really nice shape. It's good to hear that you're forming a definite sense of what you like, as that would seem to indicate that you've become very comfortable with your beard.

Your fuller look is a good one - you have plenty of fullness in your growth. I can't see the mayhem you describe in your mustache, but that doesn't mean it doesn't show itself now and then. As you say though, the most important thing is finding what you like, and it's also good when it can be something your wife likes too.

- Jerry
Thanks, Jerry. I’m a week or two into training with mustache wax and things are starting to come along over on the one side. I applied a little wax before these pics. The mayhem is somewhat more under control but at any given moment that seems to change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bearded in BC
Beard Jedi

May 16th, 2018, 1:13 am #55

Hi JC,
Great update. Your beard is looking excellent on all counts - shape, style, length, fullness etc. I wear a tapered style, as well; I'm currently trying it with more length (4.25 inches currently). Glad to hear you're continuing to enjoy bearded life too. Have fun experimenting with your moustache.
Looking forward to your next update,
- Fred

You either live life -- bruises, skinned knees and all -- or you turn your back on it and begin dying - Christopher Pike paraphrasing Dr. Philip Boyce (Star Trek - "The Cage")

Bearded in BC's Thread

jfc
Beard Friendly
jfc
Beard Friendly

July 13th, 2018, 2:02 am #56

smedstad
Beard Wizard
smedstad
Beard Wizard

July 15th, 2018, 12:05 pm #57

For some reason, your last post is empty. I hope you have an update for us :)
Stop trimming your moustache; greater glory awaits...
but if you are going to trim, do it right, go pencil...
then, of course, a nice copstache can be cool too...

My Beard and Moustache Adventures!

Tapatalk How-tos and Q&A