Clogged follicles contributing to lack of beard?(Experiment)

Got a general facial hair-related topic you'd like to discuss? Add it here.

Clogged follicles contributing to lack of beard?(Experiment)

ParanoiDave
Beard Newcomer
ParanoiDave
Beard Newcomer

January 9th, 2014, 6:35 pm #1

Hello once again forum,

Although it's been about two months since my last post, I've still been fighting the good fight: trying to find out why I can't rock a decent beard.

ANYWAY, I MAY have found the reason as to why my facial hair has not changed since the 8th grade.

As it is winter now, I started to notice hair disappearing off of my legs, the follicles replaced by small pimple-looking bumps. Hair is trying to protrude through the bumps, but my follicles are obviously clogged. Now, I've always had this condition, but never cared nor wondered how to treat it.

Then I wondered: Could I have this same condition on my face? Is that why only my facial hair grows slowly, and there isn't much coverage?

Well, two seconds of Googling later, and I found out what I had:

Keratosis Pilaris (or "KP"). Now, you can look this up, and apparently a good chunk of the population has it. But basically it is a buildup of the protein Keratin, so much that it clogs hair follicles. I never noticed that this condition worsened in the cold when it is dryer, but like I said, I never cared.

Until now.

So upon closer inspection in the mirror, I found out that I DID in fact have this condition on my face, to some degree. I have very small bumps, though they aren't very noticeable and are not red like the ones on the rest of my body. I can see though, especially the ones in the "Soul Patch" region, that my follicles are struggling to protrude through the pus-filled bumps.

Gross as it sounds, it is hardly noticeable. I use "bumps" for lack of a better term.

They are so small that, unfortunately, I can't take a picture to show you what I mean.

But I digress. I wanted to figure out a way to treat it, and a few more seconds of Googling later, I found a common cure: Coconut Oil. Yeah, never thought I'd use it either.

So I ordered some about a week ago. It arrived two days ago.

So far, the bumps are disappearing, and it LOOKS like some terminal hairs I have never seen are coming through!

I will continue to update this thread if there are some more beard-related results! For those struggling to grow, you should check if you have this condition, as it is very common!

Even if you don't have KP, coconut oil is good for the hair and skin, so it can't hurt as a beard conditioner!

And I will make sure to post before and after pictures of my facial hair coverage.

bourbon
Beard Friendly
bourbon
Beard Friendly

January 9th, 2014, 8:27 pm #2

I slather on coconut oil about 3-4 days a week. My wife bought a tub of the stuff to eat during her last pregnancy. She read that it could do wonders, and I put a spoonful in her smoothie each morning for her. She then used it on our son to treat his cradle cap, and it cleared that right up. Then she saw it was a good conditioner, so she greased her hair up with it at night, slept with a towel on her pillow, and shampooed it out the next day. So naturally, I grabbed the jar and greased up the beard. It isn't instantly noticable but I'll use it a couple of nights in a row, and just rinse with water the next day, and apply a small amount back on it after my shower.

After 2-3 days the hair feels softer and healthier. I don't bother with it every day, since I only shampoo the beard a couple times a week. So if I shampoo it on Sunday, I'll use a little after my shower that morning, and then on Monday night I'll apply a lot, rinse with water on Tuesday morning and add a little afterwards. Repeat that on Thursday with that morning's wash.

DesertFox
Beard Newcomer
DesertFox
Beard Newcomer

October 22nd, 2016, 9:19 pm #3

This is the most useful post I've seen viz. patchy facial hair. I have exactly the same problem, under my mouth and just above my upper lip. That's where my areas of zero growth has been. So, I'll try the coconut oil and update on my progress.

jschwanke84
Beard Friendly
jschwanke84
Beard Friendly

October 24th, 2016, 4:50 pm #4

What causes this protein buildup? Is it just something with your body that you always produce more, or is it your body trying to compensate for a perceived imbalance? I would attempt to get to the root cause of this rather than just treat symptoms. It kind of sounds like a mild form of acne to me based on how you describe it, and as someone with sensitive acne prone skin I have spent a lot of time researching and trying different things to treat symptoms before I finally realized that the only way to really resolve the issue is to attack the root source of it. If the coconut oil seems to be working that is awesome, and maybe that is treating the cause. But I would make sure you get to the bottom of it entirely and aren't just strictly treating symptoms.

DesertFox
Beard Newcomer
DesertFox
Beard Newcomer

October 27th, 2016, 3:14 am #5

If you find a cure, I'd greatly like to hear it! I have done extensive reading and have found no such thing; It's been clearly stated that no such cure exists. As per facial hair? I would merely settle for encouraging growth in the trouble parts I am having.

BrandonLee
Beard Newcomer
BrandonLee
Beard Newcomer

May 15th, 2018, 7:43 am #6

Incase anyone is curious if this is the issue with their facial hair I  figured I'd let anyone looking into this know that no matter what anyone says the issue can be pores being clogged, I've just recently discovered that is the cause for me and I have literally had 6 inch or longer hairs popping out as I clear them. I dunno if I'm a rare case but if I were you I'd look into it. It can also happen on top your head too btw, I had dreads for 12 years and thought I was having my hair receded but found their clogged and it's coming back also lol.