BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

July 13th, 2018, 1:15 am #1

beard3.jpg
beard1A.jpg
beard2.jpg
Last edited by BlueSky on September 7th, 2018, 3:12 am, edited 4 times in total.

BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

July 13th, 2018, 1:21 am #2

As the title says, this is the 15 day mark. My old profile pic is from 3 yrs ago and that was at about 9 weeks. Comments are always greatly appreciated, but I'm posting this to document my beard journey and to motivate myself to stay with this through the fall. For any newcomers, I do think my beard is an example of some shape, fullness, and color changes that come with growth. Good to be back.

rodrigofs31
Beard Friendly
rodrigofs31
Beard Friendly

July 13th, 2018, 4:49 am #3

Hi. Great coverage for 2 weeks, your cheeks are fuller than mine, and I am at almost 6 weeks...

You definately are going to have one epic beard, that's for sure.

johnsow30
Beard Legend
johnsow30
Beard Legend

July 13th, 2018, 10:41 pm #4

You've got a great start there.  If I could offer one bit of advice it would be to lower the neckline.  The general recommendation is a finger or two's width above the adam's apple.  Just a suggestion, you could leave it as is for a shorter beard.  You can just let it creep down and set a new line in a couple weeks.  

Stevie t
Beard Jedi
Stevie t
Beard Jedi

July 14th, 2018, 9:45 pm #5

Welcome back sir.
In just two weeks you've already established a perfect base to grow your beard out once again.
Looking back at your previous thread & your Avatar it's plain to see you'll grow out the perfect beard with a moustache that is faultless in it's thickness that will be the icing on the cake, it will look awesome!
I would imagine you'll have your threads merged, if that's your choice & be moved to established given your past growth, not my decision to make, a Mod should get on the case!

Stevie

imaginary
Beard Legend
imaginary
Beard Legend

July 15th, 2018, 3:58 am #6

Looks like you’re off to a great start. As another person mentioned, I recommend lowering the neckline. There is no need to start over. The areas will end up blending in within time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Be yourself. There's no one who does it quite like you."
Kevin Max

Pandarocks
Beard Jedi
Pandarocks
Beard Jedi

July 15th, 2018, 12:53 pm #7

It is great to have another silver bearded gent join the crew here. I suspect you’ll have a very great beard in the weeks ahead with that fine coverage from ear to ear. Please do keep us posted with your growth in the weeks ahead. Looking good, bud.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

July 20th, 2018, 5:51 pm #8

First, thanks everyone for the comments and encouragement. This is my 3 week update, the pics being from Wednesday. I'm pleased with the progress, but I'm at a point were some of the areas I'm less thrilled with on my beard are grabbing my attention and I don't much see the parts I like better. The front of my chin, below the soul patch, fills in a bit with time and the soul patch and added bulk of the beard makes that thin area moot, but now it's all I see. And my mustache and the hairs that are on the front of my chin are being quite adolescent right now, doing what they please with little regard for all the well behaved hairs around them. So this week and the next several weeks will be a small trial for all of us. 20180718_223233.jpg 20180718_221434.jpg 20180718_222848.jpg

imaginary
Beard Legend
imaginary
Beard Legend

July 22nd, 2018, 6:59 pm #9

Looks great!

I think a bit of a weird thing is that we can be our own worst beard critics. And it seems that the most visible thing in the media are men with super thick beards, it makes the average person feel inadequate. Many of us can verify there are areas we have a like/dislike relationship with concerning the beard. With that, yours looks great.
"Be yourself. There's no one who does it quite like you."
Kevin Max

BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

July 27th, 2018, 2:14 pm #10

Thanks for the encouragement imaginary. I appreciate it.

BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

July 27th, 2018, 2:22 pm #11

These pics are from 2 days ago, which was my 4 week mark. 

20180725_164851 (2).jpg 20180725_164618 (2).jpg 20180725_164402 (2).jpg

BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

July 27th, 2018, 2:57 pm #12

As mentioned, these are from the 4 week point. These were taken near a window in more natural light (as opposed to the yellows in earlier pics). This being the third time in the past 3 1/2 years that I've grown a beard, the first two going 6 months + each time, I kind of know what to expect. Even with that, there are some slight changes from the last grow, which was 2 years ago. 

As a note to myself and maybe to any newcomers, for those of us whose beards that don't start perfectly full or symmetrical or balanced, time really improves on those factors. In my case, the hairs below my soul patch are sparse and the stick straight out or even curl upward a bit. The top pic shows some of this. With time, those drop a bit and the bulk of the beard around them also creates some balance. My sides are slightly different, also, but again time tends to even that out. The recommendation that you give your beard 13 weeks seems arbitrary and it probabably is, but in my case things really tend to come together between 9 and 13 weeks. That my nose, broken an odd number of times, turns to the right is something time doesn't seem to alter.

Happy bearding and thanks everyone for the support. This is such a nice, hostility free corner of the inter webs.

smedstad
Beard Wizard
smedstad
Beard Wizard

July 31st, 2018, 6:41 am #13

That is a fine white beard you are growing there... And since you already have experience growing your beard and know what to expect, I think you should really be in Short Beards. The Establishing section is for guys who are new to beards and don't know what to expect. There are plenty of us who shave or change styles and then regrow our beards. The regrow happens in Short Beards. Just because you shave, it doesn't send you back to start, so to speak. You already know you have a fine beard. All you have to do is grow it :)

So, I'll move your thread over to Short Beards now. I look forward to watching the re-grow from there!
Stop trimming your moustache; greater glory awaits...
but if you are going to trim, do it right, go pencil...
then, of course, a nice copstache can be cool too...

My Beard and Moustache Adventures!

Tapatalk How-tos and Q&A

BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

July 31st, 2018, 3:04 pm #14

Thanks smedstad.

johnsow30
Beard Legend
johnsow30
Beard Legend

July 31st, 2018, 9:10 pm #15

Looking great for only 4 weeks.  That will be a wonderful beard.

BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

August 2nd, 2018, 2:22 pm #16

Thanks johnsow30. I appreciate the support.

I think I'll wait til next week to post a photo update. I see more changes in 2 week intervals. 

I want to thank slybeard for his advice to try Got 2 b glued. My mustache is at a point where I've trimmed it in the past because some unruly hairs on the right side sweep pretty severely toward the midline of my face, or opposite of where I want them to go. The stache is just long enough for that to look like I've got something stuck in it (doesn't help that those hairs are bright silver), but still short enough that balm or wax don't hold them. I got frustrated  6 days ago and reached for the scissors, but counted 10 and instead left work with a mustache emergency and found Got 2 b glued at a nearby Target. I haven't touched the scissors in those 6 days since.

So slybeard, I thank you and my mustache thanks you.   

BlueSky
Beard Regular
BlueSky
Beard Regular

August 8th, 2018, 6:19 pm #17

Two weeks since my last update. Overall I'm feeling more bearded each day, though mine can be a pretty unruly beard. I have a little beard oil in these pics, applied about 6 hours ago. My mustache especially likes to be a challenge, and I've been using got 2 B glued with some success, but these pics are without that product. 

I get the concept that length allows more control, but if anyone can describe to me exactly how that works, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to create an English Gentleman's type of mustache with softer, fuller ends, but that seems to require less product and more cooperation. Am I making sense?

Here's my six week pictorial update.

20180808_115427.jpg 20180808_115456.jpg 20180808_114441.jpg This last one is in sunlight and shows some of the independence the mustache wants to exhibit. Thanks for viewing and comments/tips are appreciated.

smedstad
Beard Wizard
smedstad
Beard Wizard

August 9th, 2018, 7:27 am #18

BlueSky wrote: I get the concept that length allows more control, but if anyone can describe to me exactly how that works, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to create an English Gentleman's type of mustache with softer, fuller ends, but that seems to require less product and more cooperation. Am I making sense?
Of course you are making sense! That sounds like a fine goal. However, what you are describing sounds more like a natural handlebar than an English style moustache. (The "English" moustache as a defined style is with sharp tips pointing directly to the sides, parallel to the floor.) But I completely understand what you mean by your description.

Your moustache is indeed far too short to get much control -- and grey/white hairs are notoriously hard to control anyway. You will probably need another 3 or 4 months before you can start to get the look you are hoping for. In the meantime, it is never too early to start trying to train your moustache to "flow" to the sides by finger-brushing it to the sides with your thumb and forefinger as often as you like throughout the day. Of course, then you will have to drop the Got2B glued because it will just stand in your way.

Once your moustache gets longer, you may find that a hair dryer on a damp moustache is all you need to get the natural flow. However, you may want to use some wax or other product to hold things in place... the trick is using enough to get some hold but not so much that you can see the product. It takes some practice. You should check out the Taming the Wild Stache thread in the Mustache-related Topics and General Questions forum here on the board. Lots of great advice there!

I should also add that pure lanolin is great for softening up moustache hairs and making them more compliant. You may be interested in this (external) blog post on the subject.
Stop trimming your moustache; greater glory awaits...
but if you are going to trim, do it right, go pencil...
then, of course, a nice copstache can be cool too...

My Beard and Moustache Adventures!

Tapatalk How-tos and Q&A

Grimers
Beard Legend
Grimers
Beard Legend

August 9th, 2018, 8:28 am #19

Sir, you have a lovely beard, that really suits you! Keep going!

Pandarocks
Beard Jedi
Pandarocks
Beard Jedi

August 9th, 2018, 10:34 am #20

Smedstad has offered you a master class in mustache maintenance. Nicely done, Smed.

If your last pic is your stache without product I’d say your are doing quite well for your current length. It does take months of wrestling the hairs sideways but the thumb and forefinger find a new hobby sweeping it aside whilst reading, working, thinking and certainly eating. My stache, when longer, behaves differently on the right and the left so finding a wax or cream was helpful to balance it but I found myself to begin to embrace it in a more natural state too. You’ll find there will be days when it’s important to control it and days when it feels good to let it be and twiddle it routinely. But time will certainly tell how naturally your stache does sweep and how much you may want to control to achieve different looks or your best look. Have fun. Looking great overall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk