43, First Beard, Odd Growth Pattern?

NCB
Beard Newcomer
NCB
Beard Newcomer

1:53 AM - Sep 29, 2018 #1

This is my first beard attempt. The plan is for something medium length. I am about 4 1/2 weeks in with no trimming or shaping. 

Here’s the thing...no connectors (not unusual) and the bare areas on either side of the “soul patch” extend below my chin. That’s not something that I see on here. Makes it look thin from the front. But, the bottom, cheeks, and mustache area are coming in well. Perhaps a bit better than in the photo. There are some grays that don’t show up well.

Anyone else have the bare patches that wrap down below the chin? How does that look when the cheeks fill in solid? I think this is the only area of concern. The growth pattern is not likely to change, at my age. The stache is not going to connect and that’s fine. It’ll hold it’s own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bray
Beard Master
bray
Beard Master

3:53 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #2

I think that natural pattern is cool looking. The mustache is great and really stands out well with this pattern. Some guys shave around soul patch purposely to achieve that look. I say embrace it, big mustache with the soul patch and trim short beard can really make a cool look. Or just let it all grow out for few more months before deciding what look to cultivate.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Slybeard
Beard Titan
Slybeard
Beard Titan

4:39 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #3

I also think it is a cool looking pattern, and in fact, it looks intentional.

NCB
Beard Newcomer
NCB
Beard Newcomer

10:15 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #4

Thanks. I think that it will look a lot better when grown out to at least a full inch or so, and then some. I'm going to give it at least 3 months but will probably clean up the back by my ears a bit along the way.

bray
Beard Master
bray
Beard Master

11:15 PM - Sep 29, 2018 #5

After 3 months will be awesome. See you there. Then you can reassess and make new game plan if you wish.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NCB
Beard Newcomer
NCB
Beard Newcomer

3:03 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #6

A bit more growth in the last 12 or so days. The mustache, cheeks, and bottom jaw area are going strong...low front is weak. But, It appears to be a defined pattern and unlikely to fill in. This will look better when the bottom / under jaw area gains length. Going to let the stache grow big to cover the front.

beardedfather
Beard Titan

4:49 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #7

Hey NCB:
I didn't see your thread until now.  You are taking an exciting journey to growing your manhair.  There is nothing more natural.  You have waited a lifetime, and now you are reaping the benefits.  Don't look at what you think you ought to have, like mustache connectors, but look at what you do have.  Your beard has a nice shape for such a short time....really nice.  Your density is great.  You are filling in nicely.

Your mustache is superb for only this short time.  Often mustaches take longer to look great than other parts of beards.  Yours is exemplary.  Your soul patch is a great connector, and it is soon to reach your chin.  The way your soul patch grows, shows you don't need it wider, because it works well.  Cherish and keep growing it.    Your chin is nice and full and connected with everything ear to ear.  You have nice natural cheeklines, and your neckline is good to go.  Now it is just more time and patience.

I didn't read where you set any goals.  A lot of guys set 13 weeks for a first goal.  Did you think of setting a goal like that?  You will know just how nice your beard grows.

And I am excited to see you are updating regularly.  You see your progress, and we can follow and support you.

Nice to have you here.  Grow on.
My name is Tom

NCB
Beard Newcomer
NCB
Beard Newcomer

12:32 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #8

Tom,

Thanks for your thoughts. Inappreciate the perspective and encouragement. I’ll definitely go 13 weeks and then some. Will update every 2-3 weeks or so.

Ryan

Pandarocks
Beard Jedi
Pandarocks
Beard Jedi

5:53 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #9

I agree with the gents above! Perceived issues become features as our beards mature - I think you'll enjoy what is special about your great growth in the weeks to come. We certainly do. Good to have you here.

NCB
Beard Newcomer
NCB
Beard Newcomer

1:48 AM - Oct 15, 2018 #10

Feel like it filled in a bit over the long weekend. Cleaned up the neck line for the first time.

Pandarocks
Beard Jedi
Pandarocks
Beard Jedi

10:47 AM - Oct 15, 2018 #11

I believe it has! Isn’t it fun to see the progress. Your cheeks do look fuller and will fill, mesh and bloom in the weeks ahead. Ice neckline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk