20 years old. First time trying to grow a beard...is it even worth a try?

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

July 12th, 2018, 6:41 pm #1

2 weeks of not shaving. 
Image-1.jpg
Image-1-4.jpg
Image-1-3.jpg
Image-1-2.jpg
Image-1-1.jpg
Image-1.jpg Image-1-4.jpg Image-1-3.jpg Image-1-2.jpg Image-1-1.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

July 12th, 2018, 9:42 pm #2

I say, give it a go. You have nothing to lose except a new beard. Shave a neck line and grow everything else. Don't touch it for perhaps 3-4 months. Your beard may look thin now, but a lot of new hairs can pop up in that time and you may be surprised just how mature it could look if you are patient. Have you had any comments from anyone yet about your emerging beard? Do you think you might be pressured into shaving by anyone? It's worth considering how you would respond if any of this happens.

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

July 12th, 2018, 9:52 pm #3

hatebeinsmooth wrote: I say, give it a go. You have nothing to lose except a new beard. Shave a neck line and grow everything else. Don't touch it for perhaps 3-4 months. Your beard may look thin now, but a lot of new hairs can pop up in that time and you may be surprised just how mature it could look if you are patient. Have you had any comments from anyone yet about your emerging beard? Do you think you might be pressured into shaving by anyone? It's worth considering how you would respond if any of this happens.
Just a lot of people saying that I look older. Most people have been supportive of it, particularly because the mustache and goatee being so thick. Not many people have said anything about the cheeks as theyre thin...Its like the hair is there, but for some reason blends with my face on my cheeks. Ill clean the neck up and see where the next few weeks bring me. Any suggestions to the neck line?

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

July 13th, 2018, 5:36 am #4

Will211 wrote:
hatebeinsmooth wrote: I say, give it a go. You have nothing to lose except a new beard. Shave a neck line and grow everything else. Don't touch it for perhaps 3-4 months. Your beard may look thin now, but a lot of new hairs can pop up in that time and you may be surprised just how mature it could look if you are patient. Have you had any comments from anyone yet about your emerging beard? Do you think you might be pressured into shaving by anyone? It's worth considering how you would respond if any of this happens.
Just a lot of people saying that I look older. Most people have been supportive of it, particularly because the mustache and goatee being so thick. Not many people have said anything about the cheeks as theyre thin...Its like the hair is there, but for some reason blends with my face on my cheeks. Ill clean the neck up and see where the next few weeks bring me. Any suggestions to the neck line?
All sounds good to me, getting compliments on a new beard is always a confidence booster. As for the neck line, go about one finger's width above the Adams Apple. It's just to give your beard a neat, clean bottom edge. Good luck with this project, I look forward to seeing your updates. 

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

July 16th, 2018, 10:08 pm #5

Here are some better pictures about half a week later. I think the flash might help see what im working with. I cleaned up the neck line. The first pictures I had taken a few days before deciding to post... I guess Id call this towards the end of week 2. Planning on posting every week/ other week if I choose to continue. 
Image-1.jpg
Image-1-3.jpg
Image-1-2.jpg
Image-1-1.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

July 17th, 2018, 5:50 am #6

There is a little progress over your first pictures, but it less than a week  of extra growth, so you wouldn't expect to see much change. Remember you need to be growing for 3-4 months to be able to evaluate your beard properly. You say "if I choose to continue ", are you having doubts already? I really think you should give your beard a proper trial before making any decisions. I'm sure you are aware that your beard will look scruffy and untidy for a while. That's just how it is, every beard goes through this stage, you just have to be patient and see it through. If after 4 month you still don't like it, then perhaps trim back to the stache/goatee combo. That will definitely work for you, but give the full beard a proper trial first. 

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

July 22nd, 2018, 8:19 pm #7

Week 3 update. I have been trimming the chin just a bit so I don't have a goat beard and it stays growing with the rest of my face. The ones with the flash make it look a lot better of course due to lighting. Is anyone optimistic on the full beard if I keep growing? My right side is much weaker than my left, also. If people do have hope for me, feel free to share some motivating threads of similar growths. I can't seem to find people with a similar growth/hair type...
Image-1.jpg
Image-1-4.jpg
Image-1-3.jpg
Image-1-2.jpg
Image-1-1.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

July 22nd, 2018, 9:26 pm #8

You are making noticeable progress week by week. It's slow for sure, but it is progress. Remember, your goal is 3-4 months at least. As with many guys the stache and chin are stronger than the cheeks, this is normal. I'm sure as the weeks pass, you will notice new hairs appearing as well as the established hairs getting longer. This will give coverage and maturity to your beard, so just keep growing. You say you have been trimming the chin, I'd suggest you let it grow from now on, and build the bulk in that area. It will give a focus to your beard, especially as the sides aren't as well developed just yet. Don't worry about the asymmetry between left and right, this is very common and another reason to give your beard plenty of time to mature, so these things can even out. How do you feel about your progress? 

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

July 22nd, 2018, 9:31 pm #9

hatebeinsmooth wrote: You are making noticeable progress week by week. It's slow for sure, but it is progress. Remember, your goal is 3-4 months at least. As with many guys the stache and chin are stronger than the cheeks, this is normal. I'm sure as the weeks pass, you will notice new hairs appearing as well as the established hairs getting longer. This will give coverage and maturity to your beard, so just keep growing. You say you have been trimming the chin, I'd suggest you let it grow from now on, and build the bulk in that area. It will give a focus to your beard, especially as the sides aren't as well developed just yet. Don't worry about the asymmetry between left and right, this is very common and another reason to give your beard plenty of time to mature, so these things can even out. How do you feel about your progress? 
I do see improvement from the last few pictures which gives me some hope. Ive gotten some comments on it saying I looked older and more mature. Hopefully things do fill in on the cheeks, because I would like to pull off a clean full beard. 

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

July 23rd, 2018, 5:36 pm #10

I agree your progress is a bit slow but you are making progress and now you have a good many transitionals starting to show.  I would continue to grow it all out and give yourself 3-4 months to see what you have to work with.
Library Central of Beard Growing... new beard growers check out Starting and Accepting sections

Beard Board Essentials Library... learn all about Rules, Posting, Pictures and much more

My personal beard journey - 5 years on Beard Board

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

July 28th, 2018, 3:44 pm #11

Week 4 update. What you think?
Image-4.jpg
Image-3.jpg
Image-2.jpg
Image-1.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

July 28th, 2018, 6:34 pm #12

I think the chin is looking thicker and darker, and the cheeks are showing better especially from the front view. Just keep it coming. Don't forget you need to be aiming for 3-4 months as a minimum. How do you feel about it, do you feel your beard getting thicker ? 

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

July 28th, 2018, 7:21 pm #13

hatebeinsmooth wrote: I think the chin is looking thicker and darker, and the cheeks are showing better especially from the front view. Just keep it coming. Don't forget you need to be aiming for 3-4 months as a minimum. How do you feel about it, do you feel your beard getting thicker ? 
its definitely getting thicker. Ive noticed a big change in my cheeks, specifically the right side. This was the first week I didnt trim my chin so thats why it looks so much fuller. Feels good, excited to see where I go from here. 

beardedfather
Beard Titan

July 28th, 2018, 10:05 pm #14

A Raiders fan with a nice beard coming in.  I looked at your thread, and you are really progressing well.  Your sides have begun to fill in nicely.  Everything else is on its way....stache (gettting a nice sweep on the sides as it grows), soul patch, chin, sides with ear to ear coverage, nice cheek lines and your neck is also doing well. 

Did you set a first goal?  Many guys do 13 weeks with no trimming to see what they got.  And it is motivating to do exactly what you are doing.....weekly updates.  You see a lot of change from week to week.  

Go for it, and enjoy your beard.  And are you excited when the Raiders are in Vegas?????
Grow on, sir.
My name is Tom

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

July 29th, 2018, 4:42 am #15

beardedfather wrote: A Raiders fan with a nice beard coming in.  I looked at your thread, and you are really progressing well.  Your sides have begun to fill in nicely.  Everything else is on its way....stache (gettting a nice sweep on the sides as it grows), soul patch, chin, sides with ear to ear coverage, nice cheek lines and your neck is also doing well. 

Did you set a first goal?  Many guys do 13 weeks with no trimming to see what they got.  And it is motivating to do exactly what you are doing.....weekly updates.  You see a lot of change from week to week.  

Go for it, and enjoy your beard.  And are you excited when the Raiders are in Vegas?????
Grow on, sir.
My name is Tom
Pretty excited! The weekly updates do really give me the confidence to grow on! I don't really have a goal in mind yet....It's kinda hitting me as of recently that having a full beard might be a possibility. I honestly thought it was pretty far fetched when I began posting. 

beardedfather
Beard Titan

July 31st, 2018, 1:35 am #16

I look forward to all your updates, Will.
Grow on.
Tom

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

August 7th, 2018, 10:26 pm #17

Not sure how I've been feeling about the update. My cheeks seem very thin for the week that I'm at. Losing a bit of faith in a mature beard that will be professional/full. Also, in the upcoming weeks is it a bad idea to trim my chin slightly to keep it from turning into a goat beard? Anyone have pictures of similar hairgrowth so i can expect/get some inspiration to keep growing. Let me know what you guys are thinking, as I could really use advice.
Image-1-4.jpg
Image-1-5.jpg
Image-1-3.jpg
Image-1-1.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

August 8th, 2018, 6:07 am #18

I'm not sure how long you been growing, but I think it's not quite 6 weeks yet ? There's no question in my mind, keep going. Remember, 13 weeks as an absolute minimum. Your beard has made a lot of progress, just look back at your earlier posts. The cheeks are filling out and support the stache/goatee nicely. I really would encourage you not to trim anything yet. From the comments you are making, it sounds to me that the issue for you is beard acceptance. Your beard isn't as thick as you wanted, so you're having doubts. The fact is, very few of us get the beard we really wanted. So if you are to remain bearded at all, you have to learn to accept and love the beard you have. It's coming along fine, and it's still early days. It will get thicker as you gain length and your beard matures. Are you getting unhelpful comments from others perhaps ? If so, you will find plenty of support here.

Ove123
Beard Friendly
Ove123
Beard Friendly

August 8th, 2018, 1:32 pm #19

There has been a lot of progress up to your last post, keep growing and it will fill out even more! I agree with Hatebeinsmooth, embrace your own beard and don't compare progress to others. The most important part is how you feel about it and how your beard fits your look, which I think it does. I think you have great coverage for your age.

Will211
Beard Friendly
Will211
Beard Friendly

August 8th, 2018, 4:48 pm #20

hatebeinsmooth wrote: I'm not sure how long you been growing, but I think it's not quite 6 weeks yet ? There's no question in my mind, keep going. Remember, 13 weeks as an absolute minimum. Your beard has made a lot of progress, just look back at your earlier posts. The cheeks are filling out and support the stache/goatee nicely. I really would encourage you not to trim anything yet. From the comments you are making, it sounds to me that the issue for you is beard acceptance. Your beard isn't as thick as you wanted, so you're having doubts. The fact is, very few of us get the beard we really wanted. So if you are to remain bearded at all, you have to learn to accept and love the beard you have. It's coming along fine, and it's still early days. It will get thicker as you gain length and your beard matures. Are you getting unhelpful comments from others perhaps ? If so, you will find plenty of support here.
This was my 5 week update. I guess you're right...after looking at the past updates there has been a lot of improvement. I sure do hope that the cheeks continue to fill out!