20 years old. First time trying to grow a beard...is it even worth a try?

For younger men with little or no beard-growing experience, start your first beard journey (of any style) and ask questions here.

20 years old. First time trying to grow a beard...is it even worth a try?

Will211
Beard Newcomer
Will211
Beard Newcomer

July 12th, 2018, 6:41 pm #1

2 weeks of not shaving. 
Image-1.jpg
Image-1-4.jpg
Image-1-3.jpg
Image-1-2.jpg
Image-1-1.jpg
Image-1.jpg Image-1-4.jpg Image-1-3.jpg Image-1-2.jpg Image-1-1.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Jedi

July 12th, 2018, 9:42 pm #2

I say, give it a go. You have nothing to lose except a new beard. Shave a neck line and grow everything else. Don't touch it for perhaps 3-4 months. Your beard may look thin now, but a lot of new hairs can pop up in that time and you may be surprised just how mature it could look if you are patient. Have you had any comments from anyone yet about your emerging beard? Do you think you might be pressured into shaving by anyone? It's worth considering how you would respond if any of this happens.

Will211
Beard Newcomer
Will211
Beard Newcomer

July 12th, 2018, 9:52 pm #3

hatebeinsmooth wrote: I say, give it a go. You have nothing to lose except a new beard. Shave a neck line and grow everything else. Don't touch it for perhaps 3-4 months. Your beard may look thin now, but a lot of new hairs can pop up in that time and you may be surprised just how mature it could look if you are patient. Have you had any comments from anyone yet about your emerging beard? Do you think you might be pressured into shaving by anyone? It's worth considering how you would respond if any of this happens.
Just a lot of people saying that I look older. Most people have been supportive of it, particularly because the mustache and goatee being so thick. Not many people have said anything about the cheeks as theyre thin...Its like the hair is there, but for some reason blends with my face on my cheeks. Ill clean the neck up and see where the next few weeks bring me. Any suggestions to the neck line?

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Jedi

July 13th, 2018, 5:36 am #4

Will211 wrote:
hatebeinsmooth wrote: I say, give it a go. You have nothing to lose except a new beard. Shave a neck line and grow everything else. Don't touch it for perhaps 3-4 months. Your beard may look thin now, but a lot of new hairs can pop up in that time and you may be surprised just how mature it could look if you are patient. Have you had any comments from anyone yet about your emerging beard? Do you think you might be pressured into shaving by anyone? It's worth considering how you would respond if any of this happens.
Just a lot of people saying that I look older. Most people have been supportive of it, particularly because the mustache and goatee being so thick. Not many people have said anything about the cheeks as theyre thin...Its like the hair is there, but for some reason blends with my face on my cheeks. Ill clean the neck up and see where the next few weeks bring me. Any suggestions to the neck line?
All sounds good to me, getting compliments on a new beard is always a confidence booster. As for the neck line, go about one finger's width above the Adams Apple. It's just to give your beard a neat, clean bottom edge. Good luck with this project, I look forward to seeing your updates. 

Will211
Beard Newcomer
Will211
Beard Newcomer

July 16th, 2018, 10:08 pm #5

Here are some better pictures about half a week later. I think the flash might help see what im working with. I cleaned up the neck line. The first pictures I had taken a few days before deciding to post... I guess Id call this towards the end of week 2. Planning on posting every week/ other week if I choose to continue. 
Image-1.jpg
Image-1-3.jpg
Image-1-2.jpg
Image-1-1.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Jedi

July 17th, 2018, 5:50 am #6

There is a little progress over your first pictures, but it less than a week  of extra growth, so you wouldn't expect to see much change. Remember you need to be growing for 3-4 months to be able to evaluate your beard properly. You say "if I choose to continue ", are you having doubts already? I really think you should give your beard a proper trial before making any decisions. I'm sure you are aware that your beard will look scruffy and untidy for a while. That's just how it is, every beard goes through this stage, you just have to be patient and see it through. If after 4 month you still don't like it, then perhaps trim back to the stache/goatee combo. That will definitely work for you, but give the full beard a proper trial first.