17 years old, 1/3 months #2

danee940
Beard Friendly
danee940
Beard Friendly

May 6th, 2018, 7:59 pm #1

Hi forum, I'm new around here.. it's been like 16 days since I shaved (except my neck), this is where I'm at.. should I just shave again and wait till it gets fuller and spreads out (cheeks and everything) or will it catch on if I let it grow? (I'm not really sure what style or length would be my goal btw).. I'll post an old picture of my dad too for reference

Also I don't know if it really matters but I work out, eat pretty healthy, take vitamins and everything..

Thanks in advance! 20180506_223443.jpg
20180506_223705.jpg
20180506_223536.jpg
20180506_224041.jpg
20180506_223705.jpg 20180506_223536.jpg 20180506_224041.jpg
Last edited by danee940 on July 26th, 2018, 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

May 7th, 2018, 3:47 am #2

Welcome to the board... if you must have your adult full beard on your face to continue, then it will be a few years.  That should not be the case as you have the makings of a young man's full beard.  You wouldn't have posted on this board if you weren't ready to get yourself bearded now... so what should I say?  Set a goal to grow to 3 months and let's see what you can show.  You already have better sideburns than your dad and you are likely to show your beard more intentional than him... so I expect you will like this beard journey of yours.

Keep your journey going and give us updates every 2 weeks.  You will be pleased if you are mentally ready to have a beard.
Library Central of Beard Growing... new beard growers check out Starting and Accepting sections

Beard Board Essentials Library... learn all about Rules, Posting, Pictures and much more

My personal beard journey - 5 years on Beard Board

danee940
Beard Friendly
danee940
Beard Friendly

May 16th, 2018, 1:09 pm #3

Ok, so this is one month since the last shave. It's definitely not perfect but I'm curious to see what 2 more months will bring. I guess my strong points for now are my sideburns and my chin (and maybe the stache?)

My family is okay with it, kind of between supportive and neutral, some classmates have noticed it and asked if I'm growing it out but other than that there were no comments (although 2 weeks ago one guy asked if I forgot to shave). Sometimes I feel like getting rid of it but sometimes I quite like it.. I guess trying to make it look intentional really helps.

Anyways, what do you guys think?

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

May 16th, 2018, 1:44 pm #4

You have a beard to keep and yes, it is quite obvious that you are becoming quite nicely full bearded and others should be acknowledging that now. You have significant terminals that now show in all views (sideburns and chin) and you have a lot of younger activity that will be showing terminal soon. Your face is not going to be covered totally with beard at 3 months, but you will be unmistakenly bearded such that you will want to be able to answer the questions... why are you becoming bearded?  what beard are you trying to achieve?  how does the beard make you feel?

I will say that you have a very young looking face (usually the case for 17 y/o) but that the beard is already giving you a more mature and manly look... yet it has only started to show it's potential.  In the early stages, it is natural to have doubt, even to the point of considering to sh*ve off your beard.  This is why we have made it a rule that if you ever think you might want to sh*ve it, you must wait 48 hours and you must post on your thread before you do it.   This phase of your beard development will soon fall by the wayside and be replaced with thoughts of actually being pleased to have a decent looking beard and to be looking older with the beard on your face. 

Months 2 and 3 will make a big difference for you, so have patience to get to that point and talk your beard up to those around you.  This means to keep any thoughts of inadequate coverage to yourself and to us.  You must mentally prepare to become bearded and you have a very good chance of becoming another mark on the wall of success.
Library Central of Beard Growing... new beard growers check out Starting and Accepting sections

Beard Board Essentials Library... learn all about Rules, Posting, Pictures and much more

MRLyric
Beard Friendly
MRLyric
Beard Friendly

May 16th, 2018, 2:01 pm #5

Jasjes gave a lot of great advice — keep on growing, because you definitely have a lot of potential, probably more than I had at your age. Don’t worry if some parts don’t seem to come in too quickly, you’re still at a very early stage to have a full beard, and it’s impressive what you currently have at your age. I would absolutely continue with the progress you have, and post updates every other week so we can continue to help and see your journey. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danee940
Beard Friendly
danee940
Beard Friendly

May 16th, 2018, 3:08 pm #6

@jasjes I'll keep those things in mind, thank you!

@MRLyric Sure thing he does. I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic, especially for my age. As long as it fits in the "ok" category I'm also ok with it. I just don't want it to show laziness/lack of seriousity or something like that. (does seriousity even exist?)

MRLyric
Beard Friendly
MRLyric
Beard Friendly

May 16th, 2018, 3:29 pm #7

danee940 wrote:@jasjes I'll keep those things in mind, thank you!

@MRLyric Sure thing he does. I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic, especially for my age. As long as it fits in the "ok" category I'm also ok with it. I just don't want it to show laziness/lack of seriousity or something like that. (does seriousity even exist?)
“Seriousness” works Definitely keep realistic expectations, but always be optimistic. Lack of optimism has always led me to cutting away at weeks’ (or even months’) worth of progress, so don’t hinder yourself by shaving areas that you think are too sparse. Unfortunately there will be some others who think your progress is just you being lazy no matter how you look, but you know your intent, so prove them wrong! You got this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gojira_
Beard Friendly
Gojira_
Beard Friendly

May 16th, 2018, 8:11 pm #8

You've got awesome coverage under your lip in your soul patch area. That's growth I wish I had. If your cheek area doesn't satisfy you if you keep growing then a goatee is certainly a keeper if you ever feel like trimming. Keep on growing man.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Jedi

May 17th, 2018, 7:22 am #9

You have good beard potential, and will definitely have something worth wearing at 3 months. It would be best to trim nothing during this period, except possibly a neck line. Some guys don't even need to do that if their natural neck line is tidy. Have you trimmed the neck yet? It's good that your family are accepting your beard. There is nothing worse for a new, young beard grower than having to battle with disapproving family, when you're already unsure of your growth. Good luck, keep growing and post regular updates if you can. 

danee940
Beard Friendly
danee940
Beard Friendly

May 17th, 2018, 7:41 am #10

hatebeinsmooth wrote:Some guys don't even need to do that if their natural neck line is tidy. Have you trimmed the neck yet?
Well, the correct way to say it I guess is that I try to. Like twice a week.. just a quick fix.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

May 17th, 2018, 12:06 pm #11

danee940 wrote:
hatebeinsmooth wrote:Some guys don't even need to do that if their natural neck line is tidy. Have you trimmed the neck yet?
Well, the correct way to say it I guess is that I try to. Like twice a week.. just a quick fix.
You are learning how to become bearded by trying these new things.  Soon they will be routine just like maintaining your head hair.

danee940
Beard Friendly
danee940
Beard Friendly

May 31st, 2018, 5:14 pm #12

Ok, so this is me at 1.5 months, I think it's coming along better than I expected one month ago.

One guy actually asked if I'm graduating this year, altough I have two more years till then.. and one of my ex classmates who I didn't see in a long time was like "Damn, someone's grown a beard" so I mostly get positive comments which is nice.

Even considering that, mentally it's almost the same, sometimes I like it, sometimes not so much but I think it's getting better since the last update.. I'm pretty positive about making it to 3 months (and what comes after)

Anyway, what do you think? I got a new haircut (first time in a legit barber shop) so I might as well just post a picture with that too.

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Jedi

May 31st, 2018, 5:42 pm #13

Your beard is going to look great with that hair style. Grow on.

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

May 31st, 2018, 6:41 pm #14

You are getting these comments because you are starting to look bearded and your beard is already giving you an older look.  It does sound like you are leaning toward beardedness and since you are only just approaching the halfway point, I predict you will stay bearded at 3 months and reap the benefits of having the beard.  

Your haircut helps to accentuate your beard, so it seems that either you or your barber has an eye for the bearded look.  

Keep your updates coming and say how you feel about progress on each update.

danee940
Beard Friendly
danee940
Beard Friendly

June 16th, 2018, 6:05 pm #15

Couple days after hitting the 2 month mark, it might be starting to "grow" on me. My mom said she likes it but other than that, no big news, just waiting for the 3 month mark.
Btw should I start using a beard comb or something or is it fine?
(Ps. One picture is with flash because I didn't have enough light)

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

June 16th, 2018, 6:34 pm #16

Your hairs on the side are now starting to lay over one another because of length and that is giving you a noticeably bearded look which can be seen from a distance.  You can either comb these hairs or brush with a soft bristled brush such a boar's hair.  You should also start using a beard oil such as jojoba oil... you only need about 4-5 drops worked into hair and skin well.

Hair along the jaw has become heavier and now falling off the undercarriage because of length. This is giving you the start of a goatee in the front and some length along the sides.  Your neckline looks very good in this view and you have many younger hairs that are getting ready to go terminal and that will produce more beard showing below.

Your sides and stache have a few less transitionals but they will be coming along in the weeks and months ahead. 

You are starting to like your beard because it looks more like a beard at this point.  It will get even better in another month and perhaps by then you will be able to proclaim the acceptance of your beardedness.  Keep your updates coming.

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Jedi

June 16th, 2018, 6:45 pm #17

It's looking really good, filling in well. It's good to hear your mom likes your beard too, it makes things so much easier while you are still growing things out. If you want to start grooming your beard with a comb or brush go ahead. It might not make a great deal of difference right now, but it will once the beard gets longer.

danee940
Beard Friendly
danee940
Beard Friendly

June 17th, 2018, 10:47 am #18

Thanks for the replys! It does indeed help to have a supportive mom by your side. I'll look into buying a comb, if not now then I guess later it would become helpfull (there's already a beard brush in the house but I can't really use it currently with my beard).
I'm using 4 drops of beard oil (called vines vintage) every morning, seems like it does a good job.

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

June 17th, 2018, 4:52 pm #19

You seem to be catching on very well and very quickly.  Your sides would rather have a soft brush to smooth them out a bit... but a comb can be useful to lengthen the goatee. Run the comb through the undercarriage from neck or mid point to the tip of the goatee and you will get a longer goatee pretty fast.

hazzahammer
Beard Friendly
hazzahammer
Beard Friendly

June 18th, 2018, 10:00 am #20

Progress is clear, looking solid!! Keep it up