17 y o need advice

Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer
Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer

June 28th, 2018, 7:37 pm #1

It has been two weeks since my last shave and I am really concerned about how my "beard" looks like. Sometimes when I take a picture in daylight it looks quite full but when i look myself in a mirror it looks rather patchy. I just want to know if I am jusr going through a phase and my beard is becoming thicker in the next months. Moreover, I feel my left side looks different to my right side but I can t see what is the difference. Should I just shave and wait a few more months to try again?
Snapchat-164582695.jpg
Snapchat-882660521.jpg
Snapchat-118298451.jpg
20180628_163547.jpg
Snapchat-164582695.jpg Snapchat-882660521.jpg Snapchat-118298451.jpg 20180628_163547.jpg

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

June 28th, 2018, 8:46 pm #2

Welcome to the board... you have very good coverage coming along for 17 y/o @ 2 weeks.  It takes 13 weeks to see how much beard you have at this age and believe me, you have a lot.  Already you have good terminal activity and you also have a lot of younger hairs that will soon go terminal.

Don't get me wrong, you will not have your adult full beard at 13 weeks, but you will have your first real acceptable full beard and you've just got to learn to accept it.  You do that by concentrating on the beard you see at arm's length and you do not stare at it from close range. 

Your best success will be achieved by posting updates every 2 weeks and saying how you feel about progress on each update.  I suggest you carve a neckline now to give your beard an intentional look as it fills in.
Library Central of Beard Growing... new beard growers check out Starting and Accepting sections

Beard Board Essentials Library... learn all about Rules, Posting, Pictures and much more

My personal beard journey - 5 years on Beard Board

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

June 28th, 2018, 9:34 pm #3

I agree. You have some pretty heavy stubble for a guy of 17. You certainly have enough to grow a very respectable full beard. It will take time, at least 13 weeks as suggested, and it will look somewhat scruffy for a while. But this is totally normal and something you will have to put up with in the short term. Don't worry about thin areas and patches, these will fill out as the beard gets longer and matures with time. You might want to consider shaving a neck line to make your beard look more presentable as it grows out. Otherwise just let everything grow out.

Tennessee Dave
Beard Friendly
Tennessee Dave
Beard Friendly

June 28th, 2018, 10:40 pm #4

Let her grow.
My Journey to a Better Beard
viewtopic.php?f=125&t=58413

Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer
Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer

July 5th, 2018, 7:59 pm #5

It s been 3 weeks and it has not been easy. I have nos still accepted how my beard looks like but I am determined to wait to see what I can grow in 3 months. What do you think? When will it look better?
Snapchat-939642055.jpg
Snapchat-2056807043.jpg
Snapchat-1782159934.jpg
20180705_163945.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

July 5th, 2018, 9:40 pm #6

You're doing just fine. You just need to be patient. This is just 3 weeks, and you need 3-4 months. Right now you are experiencing the mental challenge associated with growing a beard. It doesn't look so good right now, being somewhat thin and scruffy. But with determination, you can grow through this phase. As the hair gets longer you will get better coverage and a more solid, mature look. Is there anyone around you putting doubts into your mind, or is it just you that's dissatisfied with your progress? The fact is, the longer you grow, the better your beard will look 

Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer
Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer

July 5th, 2018, 11:23 pm #7

hatebeinsmooth wrote: You're doing just fine. You just need to be patient. This is just 3 weeks, and you need 3-4 months. Right now you are experiencing the mental challenge associated with growing a beard. It doesn't look so good right now, being somewhat thin and scruffy. But with determination, you can grow through this phase. As the hair gets longer you will get better coverage and a more solid, mature look. Is there anyone around you putting doubts into your mind, or is it just you that's dissatisfied with your progress? The fact is, the longer you grow, the better your beard will look 
No. Everyone has been pretty supportive, but I feel like they are scared to hurt my feelings by telling me that my beard does not look good. Every time I look myself in a mirror I can see my patchy cheeks and my weak mostache and I am afraid Im looking ridiculous. Sory about my english. Not a native speaker

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

July 6th, 2018, 5:36 am #8

3-4 weeks is the scruffy stage and this is where doubt is strongest.  Month 2 brings out slower starters and lengthens the terminals you have so that the scruff starts to look more like beard.  Don't expect strong endorsements until this happens but when you do get a few of these, your mental acceptance will take a big leap.

Remember, your beard is not going to be solid at 17... but with the beard potential I see for you, it will show very well and you will be proud to sport it.  You are likely in the last year or two of your school and I'm betting the vast majority of guys in your grade have only the beginnings of a beard and here you are becoming quite full bearded. When you look in the mirror, look at the strong areas and say what I just told you.
Library Central of Beard Growing... new beard growers check out Starting and Accepting sections

Beard Board Essentials Library... learn all about Rules, Posting, Pictures and much more

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

July 6th, 2018, 6:05 am #9

It's good to hear that people around you are supportive of your beard. They can see the potential, as we can, that you don't see yet. Jasjes makes good points, hang in there. I assume you are committed to growing for 3-4 months despite your current reservations? You really must get over the idea that you look ridiculous. The fact is, you are a young guy growing his first full beard, and right now it looks a bit scruffy, but that's normal. You have to see past the patchy stubble to the full beard emerging as the weeks pass. By the way, your English is just fine, no problems at all. 

Charles
Beard Regular
Charles
Beard Regular

July 6th, 2018, 5:09 pm #10

I think you are doing great! Just give it time, don't shave!

Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer
Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer

July 12th, 2018, 8:19 am #11

1 month update- What do you think? I have noticed lots of blonde hairs coming in. Are thus the transitionals?
Snapchat-429164537.jpg
Snapchat-429164537.jpg
Snapchat-1695262401.jpg
Snapchat-615469849.jpg

hatebeinsmooth
Beard Wizard

July 12th, 2018, 4:13 pm #12

It's looking good for 1 month's growth. Your beard is filling in noticeably already, imagine how it will look after an additional 2 months.Maybe consider trimming a neck line, unless you are aiming for a fully natural beard. Whatever, just keep growing.

alex1010
Beard Friendly
alex1010
Beard Friendly

July 12th, 2018, 11:50 pm #13

Hey man, great coverage and great progress, keep it up! :) If I remember correctly, my coverage was way less than yours and I am now in love with my beard. Yours will look very nice, probably even thicker than mine. But as hatebeinsmooth said above, unless you are aiming for the fully natural beard, I think it's time to get a neckline trim.

I like how it looks, and it will only get better!

Sent from my WAS-LX1 using Tapatalk

hazzahammer
Beard Friendly
hazzahammer
Beard Friendly

July 13th, 2018, 9:26 am #14

Your coverage is already good, the differences between updates are clear to see. Keep this up and soon you will be sporting a great looking beard! Already looking quality though man. 

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

July 13th, 2018, 3:58 pm #15

You are becoming heavily full beard and already starting to look way older than 17.  You have a lot of transitionals and in the months ahead, these hairs will go terminal.  Then with the beard you have already but with longer hairs, your skin is going to get covered on the sides.

I encourage you to keep your neckline carved until you reach 3 months.  Then, if you decide to grow a longer beard, let the neckline go natural after 3 months.  You want those around you to get the message that you are growing your first beard and it will look intentional and neat.  It just sends a powerful message.

Keep your updates coming every 2 weeks and always say how you feel about progress.

Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer
Chewbacawannabe
Beard Newcomer

July 26th, 2018, 1:42 pm #16

Week 6 has arrived. Looking back at my first post I ve realised how much I have progressed. However I am still not confortable with my beard. I know it is still transitioning and I will be patient. I really do not feel like shaving anymore because I know if I have put up with this shaggy look for 6 weeks I can wait 6 more to know what I can grow. Thank you for the encouragement I would not have come so far if it was not for your encouragement.
Pd: how long do you think I will have to wait till I can achieve something like this?
20180726_153128.png
Snapchat-1162245496.jpg
Snapchat-1333060922.jpg
Snapchat-1996660235.jpg
Snapchat-1306862019.jpg

mattj
Beard Master
mattj
Beard Master

July 26th, 2018, 3:26 pm #17

Looking from the beginning of your thread up to this point you are doing fantastic and it sounds like you have got some mental acceptance of your beard which is sometimes harder to do than actually growing your beard. remember if this is what you can achieve in 6 weeks, imagine what its going too look like at 3 months! 
Matt

check out my beard journey! my-beard-journey-t54827.html

TheWolf97
Beard Friendly
TheWolf97
Beard Friendly

July 26th, 2018, 6:19 pm #18

If you have the potential to grow a large beard, you only need to harness your patience in a couple of weeks it will fill up moreover your beard is still developing and will probably become thicker and usually no one has that kind of coverage at age 17. keep growing bro

Enviado desde mi SM-T239M mediante Tapatalk

JordanR
Beard Friendly
JordanR
Beard Friendly

July 26th, 2018, 6:54 pm #19

Better than I was at 17! Keep it up, dude. 

jasjes
Beard Zeus
jasjes
Beard Zeus

July 26th, 2018, 10:17 pm #20

Chewbacawannabe wrote: PS: how long do you think I will have to wait till I can achieve something like this?
Well, THIS is the picture of a guy who looks about 35... tell me you want to look 35 with your beard!!

So I'm just going to tell you that you are now leaving the shaggy stage of your journey and entering a time when your beard will darken [with more length] and your skin will be starting to get nicely covered.  I did not say you will have such a heavy beard that all skin is covered... but I am predicting that your face will be nicely covered with beard and that you will have a really good looking young man's full beard on your face when you reach 3 months.  That should be your goal at 17 and you should accept your beardedness as you approach this time because you are going to find that you look more mature and manly with a beard on your face and I'm sure these are some of the main reasons you decided to have a beard in the first place.

You absolutely nailed the neckline and now your beard shows very intentional.  It is making the statement that you are becoming nicely full bearded.

Keep your updates coming every couple weeks and start telling yourself how bearded you are becoming already... and you are just getting started.