Japan Scholars on Twitter

kitsuno
Izu no kami
Izu no kami
kitsuno
Izu no kami
Izu no kami

7:54 PM - Apr 01, 2015 #1

It's still somewhat rare to find scholars on twitter, but I think it's a good idea to track them down and follow them.

Here's a list to start off, which includes societies and associations as well, please feel free to post more so we can expand the list, but try to keep it restricted to people/groups involved in Japanese studies in academia.

@JeremyYellen - a historian of modern Japan, earned his Ph.D. in history from Harvard University in 2012. His research focuses primarily on Japanese diplomatic, political, and transnational history

@RyanYokota - Modern Okinawan (Ryukyuan) history; modern Japanese history; imperialism and colonialism; decolonization; theories of nationalism; autonomy and sovereignty; secession movements; indigenousness; race and ethnicity

@JJArchaeology - The Japanese Journal of Archaeology. English Journal of the Japanese Archaeological Association

@Kirei_Sabi - Mindy Landeck - Ph.D. Candidate in East Asian History

@mpitelka - Morgan Pitelka - Historian of pre-19th c. Japan, prof. at UNC Chapel Hill, Director of Carolina Asia Center

@jas_tw - Academic journal in Asian Studies published every February, May, August, and November by the Association for Asian Studies

@Toranosukev - Travis Seifman - Grad student at USCB, focus on Japan and the Ryukyu Kingdom (Okinawa) in the 17th-19th centuries & Samurai Archives Podcaster.

@JonDresner - Associate Professor of History, Area of Specialization: Modern Japan, Transnational History, Pedagogy
Last edited by kitsuno on 4:54 PM - May 04, 2018, edited 3 times in total.

Toranosuke
Archer
Archer

5:42 AM - Apr 02, 2015 #2

A few of the people I follow:

@ozu_mu - Julie Nelson Davis, Prof. of Japanese Art at UPenn, leading scholar in ukiyo-e prints

@matthew_stavros - Prof. of early Japan at University of Sydney. His newest book is "Kyoto: An Urban History of Japan's Premodern Capital."

@tbazzell - Tokiko Bazzell - Chief Japanese Studies librarian at University of Hawaii Libraries

@observingjapan - Tobias Harris - leading expert on contemporary Japanese politics

@arudoudebito - Dr. Arudou Debito, blogger & scholar on racism & human rights in Japan

@JapanFocus - online journal on contemporary Japanese issues, particularly identity politics, Okinawa, race & racism, nationalism, war & peace, etc.

@AsianStudies - The International Institute for Asian Studies (IIAS)

@mdesjardin - Dr. Molly Des Jardin - Japanese Studies Librarian at UPenn, scholar of Meiji literature & book history, Digital Humanities

@davidlhowell - David Howell, Prof. of History / East Asian Studies at Harvard. Leading Edo period scholar.

@aschristy - Alan Christy, Prof. of History at UC Santa Cruz, scholar of Modern Japan & Japanese Empire, also translator of Amino Yoshihiko's "Rethinking Japanese History"

@hoytlong - Hoyt Long, Prof. of EALC at UChicago, scholar of modern Japanese literature and Digital Humanities

@astanley711 - Amy Stanley, Prof. of Japanese History at Northwestern. Expert in Edo period prostitution, women's history, and incorporation of Japan into World History

Rekishi no Tabi
Merchant
Merchant

8:27 PM - Apr 17, 2015 #3

Tora, it actually pains me to see Debito listed there. Are you sure he belongs? He may hold a PhD but sloppy research and outlandish grasping at straws to back up his claims of inherent Japanese racism in his Japan Times column are too much to bear under most conditions. The guy makes a living off playing the race issue and therefore is constantly charging windmills to support his claims. Any good he once did about raising awareness concerning racism in Japan has unfortunately been squandered by his constant, toxic and flimsy rants. He has lost credibility to the point where other foreign residents just mock the hell out of him with every new column he publishes. Again, not sure if he fits that list, which is otherwise very good, covering people with a wide range of views and leanings.

kitsuno
Izu no kami
Izu no kami
kitsuno
Izu no kami
Izu no kami

10:52 PM - Apr 17, 2015 #4

It's debatable depending on one's definition of scholar, or in this case "Japan Scholar". I think he fits the textbook definition of "Advanced degree with Japan focus", but I also can't dispute really any of your comments. So Caveat Emptor I guess.
Last edited by kitsuno on 10:54 PM - Apr 17, 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Rekishi no Tabi
Merchant
Merchant

11:18 PM - Apr 17, 2015 #5

But as this is a forum about Japanese history, Japan focused PhD or not, there's nothing history-related about Debito's specific field and his periodic colum. It probably would be more appropriate to keep the list focused on 'history', including modern history.

Toranosuke
Archer
Archer

12:08 AM - Apr 18, 2015 #6

Debito is a surprisingly nice guy in person... and, I just figured, given he is a relatively public / widely-known figure within certain circles, that he might be included, especially as he does have a PhD now.

I also included Tobias Harris, who is not a historian, but rather a commentator on contemporary politics, who has appeared on MSNBC, CNN Asia, Wall Street Journal Japan, and so forth.

I don't really disagree with anything you've said about Debito. Just listing out the prominent people I follow and/or know of. That's all :) I'm happy to have him stricken from the record, or whatever, if people want... I don't really care.
Last edited by Toranosuke on 12:08 AM - Apr 18, 2015, edited 1 time in total.

ltdomer98
Izumi no kami
Izumi no kami
ltdomer98
Izumi no kami
Izumi no kami

1:49 AM - Apr 18, 2015 #7

I'm not a fan of his, at all. And I'll stop there. If people want to follow him that's their business (I don't "twit" or whatever as it is, so far be it from me to tell people who to "twit"...) but not sure I'd list him in the "people to follow recommended by this board..."

Just one opinion though.

Daijo Daijin Emeritus
退職させていただきます。