Linking and Embedding Images

Linking and Embedding Images

Quinn
Evenstar
Evenstar

Dec 10th, '15, 04:52 #1

How to post/embed images from outside links. Not all browsers will use the same "look" to the boxes, but the text and steps should be the same.

Step 1:

Copy the web address of the image you want to post. It has to look like this...

Code: Select all

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w404/quizzicalquinnia/ff0648d2-0f17-4bf3-99a9-99b35d1c2a2e_zpsvomujqal.png
...and not another format which can happen when trying to post images from Twitter/Instagram/IconoSquare/Etc. The address must have the "http;//" prefix, and a suffix of an image format, as in ".jpg" or ".png" or ".gif."

Step 2:

Click on "Image" in the options bar.

Step 3:

A pop-up up box will appear with an "http://" prefix highlighted in blue. Hit the backspace key to delete this (since your copied address already has this prefix, if you don't delete the existing blue one, your image will not be found due to the double prefix). Paste your image address into the white box where you deleted the blue prefix, and then click "okay."

Step 4:

Click on "preview" to see how the image looks in your post. Since it will probably be a photo of NCW's abs, grab some wine and stare at it for a nice relaxing hour.

Tip: Do NOT click the little box to the left of "Prevent this page from creating additional dialogs" or you will not be able to post more images or links until your reset your browser permissions.
I write J/B fic: Ao3 / I re-blog other people's fandom pics: Tumblr

Lilynyny
Goldenhand
Goldenhand

Oct 15th, '16, 00:52 #2

Hi Quinn,

Is it possible to post a photo from Tumblr? I think I did it once but don't remember how.

Thanks!
Lily

Mikki
Evenstar
Evenstar

Oct 15th, '16, 01:10 #3

You should be able to right click on the image, copy the image address and then paste it into the "img" boxes..
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating. - Ashleigh Brilliant

Quinn
Evenstar
Evenstar

Oct 15th, '16, 01:33 #4

Yep, Mikki has it!

Right-click the image and select "copy image adress" (the wording depends on the browser, but it should be similar. Click the IMG tag here on your post, then paste the image address into the pop-up box.

Let me know if you need screenshots!
I write J/B fic: Ao3 / I re-blog other people's fandom pics: Tumblr

WackyGoofball
Oathkeeper
Oathkeeper

Apr 7th, '18, 17:24 #5

*bumps in*

Just because it came up in the shoutbox: I take the liberty to post about how I embed links from Instagram. This is one way (I assume there are smarter and faster ways of doing it, but this is how I do it) of embedding images from Instagram from your web browser (in case of Firefox - I suppose the names and steps may differ for Windows Explorer or Chrome... though I would have to check...):

First of all, sorry for not having this available in English, but I don't want to reset my entire browser just so that it pops up in not-German. Suffice to say that it should be the same kind of slot. The steps stay basically the same.

Now, to the steps:

1) Direct to the site containing the image, I have now chosen a comic strip by one of my fave artists Rachel J. Pierce as an example. That means you don't want to stay in the feed where all images are shown continuously, but so that the particular image or imageset pops up. It should look like this:

2) Now, in a next step, you right-click on the image. Again, sorry for the non-English.

3) Go down to "Seiteninformationen anzeigen" which should translate to something along the lines of "view image info." Like here:

4) That will make this window here pop up.

5) Direct to the tab reading "Media" to go to that tab.

6) This will give you a list of all embedded images or media on the site (hence also works if you want to get a video, even though it will play in endless loop if you post it here because it's different from youtube videos) in the first white box.

7) Navigate down in the white box by hittng the down-arrow until you find the image you were looking for (sometimes you have to click quite a bit because there are all the logos and avatars of other users as well). As you can see, this one has a .png or .jpg ending, which means it's the URL leading directly to the image rather than the site the image is on.

8) Right-click on the link in the white box and select "copy."

9) And if you now paste what you copied into the browser and hit "enter," it will take you to the direct image.

10) Follow the steps above by Quinn and Mikki to embed the image on JBO.

You have a Tesseract!

By the way, this also works for Twitter images, though you have to wade through many image links before you get the definite one at times, but you can get there. As I said, this is likely more complicated than it ought to be and I am just too dumb to do it faster, but this is one way of getting it.

*WACKYWACKYWACKIES*
dundundundun-dundundundun-dundundundun-dundundundun-dedundundundun-dundundundun-DOOWEEOO-WEEOO-OO-DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO-DE-DOO
Tumblr Twitter AO3 FF.net

Mikki
Evenstar
Evenstar

Apr 7th, '18, 18:36 #6

Oh erm....

For instagram. I right click to copy the URL, go to https://igeturl.com, cut and paste it there and then get the url and embed the image here.

Does that not work for everyone?
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating. - Ashleigh Brilliant

WackyGoofball
Oathkeeper
Oathkeeper

Apr 7th, '18, 22:23 #7

As I said, it's one other way of doing it that I know. Yours is definitely the better one, but this one works as well!
dundundundun-dundundundun-dundundundun-dundundundun-dedundundundun-dundundundun-DOOWEEOO-WEEOO-OO-DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO-DOO-DE-DOO

Mikki
Evenstar
Evenstar

Apr 7th, '18, 22:45 #8

Wackers, you make me feel like such a looooser. I know nothing.

Nuuk
Kingsguard
Kingsguard
Nuuk
Kingsguard
Kingsguard

Apr 11th, '18, 05:52 #9

WackyGoofball wrote:
First of all, sorry for not having this available in English, but I don't want to reset my entire browser just so that it pops up in not-German.
So you're German, Wacky?

WackyGoofball
Oathkeeper
Oathkeeper

Apr 11th, '18, 07:01 #10

Mikks, I feel dumb for always having gone the loooooooong way to get those pictures. Never heard of that site until you introduced it to me.

Nuuk, yup, I am one of those.

Nuuk
Kingsguard
Kingsguard
Nuuk
Kingsguard
Kingsguard

Apr 11th, '18, 07:52 #11

WackyGoofball wrote: Nuuk, yup, I am one of those.
Ich auch