Mikki
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 6th, '18, 14:33 #351

I am SO hoping for a gross incest joke!
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating. - Ashleigh Brilliant

NamelessPasserby
Mario Lopez
Mario Lopez

Sep 9th, '18, 13:50 #352

Game of Thrones won 7 awards at the Creative Arts Emmys last night:

Outstanding Music Composition for a Series (Original Dramatic Score): Ramin Djawadi for The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Production Design For a Narrative Period or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More): Dragonstone
Outstanding Fantasy/Sci-Fi Costumes: Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup for Series/Limited/Movie/Special: The Dragon and the Wolf
Outstanding Special Visual Effects: Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour): Beyond the Wall
Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited Series or Movie: Rowley Irlam

Happy for Ramin! Disappointed that Spoils of War and Diana Rigg lost though. I thought for sure the emmys would reward Diana for her last season because she had one of the most talked about and iconic scenes to come out of S7.  Beyond the Wall winning all these awards over Spoils of War though...I can't. 🙄 But once again yay Ramin!!!! 🤗

FairladyZ2005
Engagement Sword Forger
Engagement Sword Forger
FairladyZ2005
Engagement Sword Forger
Engagement Sword Forger

Sep 9th, '18, 13:58 #353

Yay to GoT! I'm a little confused though, don't the Emmys air in the Spring? Do some of the awards really come this early? Or was this recent win something different?

The musical competition category is particularly interesting to me as three shows I watch were nominated. It was great to see Once Upon a Time get a nod in its final season though it isn't (wasn't?) going to win. For my money it's (was?) between Ramin and Kevin Kiner's work on Star Wars: Rebels. If it was an individual episode submitted, I have no doubt they did "Jedi Night" for Kiner which included the scoring of a main character's death. The man has been killing it on that show. But so has Ramin. I could not stop listening to "The Dragon and the Wolf" tracks released before season 7 aired and pinpointed the exact musical moment Jaime walked away from Cersei. I'm already anticipating the great clues the season 8 soundtrack will hold. Truly an epic musical battle between two of the best in the business.
"Well, you know old stories are rather like old friends. Every once in a while you have to drop in on them, just to see how they're doing." GRRM, "Masques," Beauty and the Beast
Keep calm and J/B on!

LibKat
Shipper
Shipper

Sep 11th, '18, 03:04 #354

In Rolling Stone’s Emmy Should Win/Will Win they picked Nikolaj as the should win for “all he’s done over the years to help the mess of contradictions that make up Jaime Lannister feel like a unified character.”  They expect Peter will win.  The author felt the category was weak this year and missing some deserving actors so voters would go with who they know.

Very bummed that Diana didn’t win.
Love like nobody’s listening. Dance like you’re standing on the corpses of your enemies - Lucifer Morningstar.

Allison
Almost a Knight
Almost a Knight
Allison
Almost a Knight
Almost a Knight

Sep 11th, '18, 03:32 #355

Peter absolutely shouldn't win. Honestly, I'll be angry if he does. Peter has been more than recognized for his talent, and for this particular season, Nikolaj shone far more than Peter did. Peter only had two stand-out scenes this season, in my opinion. One was his reunion with Jaime, and the other his scene with Cersei. 

Nikolaj absolutely should get it over Peter. I'll be less angry if someone from another show wins, and even less angry if Matt Smith wins because I freaking love him, but this was Nikolaj's season.

eta: I wish I could say I'll be really happy for Peter if he wins, but I really can't even though he is great. Sorry.

LibKat
Shipper
Shipper

Sep 11th, '18, 06:07 #356

I agree that this was not Peter’s season.  If he were to win I think it would be based more on familiarity than on merit (the “That guy’s always good, I don’t have to actually take the time to watch the videos” effect.)
Love like nobody’s listening. Dance like you’re standing on the corpses of your enemies - Lucifer Morningstar.

sakoora
Almost a Knight
Almost a Knight
sakoora
Almost a Knight
Almost a Knight

Sep 11th, '18, 07:20 #357

Can i just say how annoying it is when Lena stans whine about her being robbed every year? She's talented but so are the other nominees, and they have better material, too.

Now if Emilia wins something over Lena, then whine away. But that's not happening this year, thank God.

Mikki
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 11th, '18, 10:12 #358

I'm not going to lie here. I have issues with all of the Game of Thrones actors winning individual acting Awards. They simply don't get as much material as the majority of the other nominees. If Lena is in 60 minutes of show, and the other candidates are in 4 hours of show, it's hard for me to say that Lena should win.

And I want Nick to win. I really do. But that's all about my bias and not about what he deserves in comparison to the other nominees.

Cersei Stans always say that Lena was robbed, but they can never say that the winner in the category was undeserving.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating. - Ashleigh Brilliant

LibKat
Shipper
Shipper

Sep 11th, '18, 23:59 #359

Sakoora - I agree with you about Lena.  While she gives a consistently good performance, Cersei is a fairly one or two note character, except for the walk of shame episode.  One of the things that frustrates me is how every one involved with the production are always talking about Cersei’s deep love for her children and how it humanizes her and makes a more complicated character.  I’ve never perceived that in the writing or the performance.  To me TV Cersei is stuck in selfish bitch mode pretty much all the time.  It’s a good portrayal of SBM, but does it compare to portrayals of more complex characters?  Not for me.

Mikki - I semi agree with you about screen time.  I think that’s why the Emmy voting is supposed to be based on a single submitted episode.  It’s hard to weigh the difference between carrying a single episode spectacularly, like Nikolaj did in SoW and consistent season long work like Matt Smith in The Crown or David Harbour in Stranger Things that had more screen time, but perhaps less intense demands,

I wish that the Emmys would institute some kind of embargo on performers who’ve already won for a role, like they have to wait two years before they can submit for that same role again.  The actors who win multiple awards back to back to back seem like they are winning for the same performance over and over, the characters on series mostly don’t change much from one season to the next.  The big changes come over several years.  Walter White season 1 vs season 4 or 5, very different character and performance.  Walter White season 2 vs season 3, much less distinct.  (I was a very casual watcher of Breaking Bad.  Those devoted to the show may well disagree.)  This could also short circuit the attitude of “I’m familiar with him, he’s always good, I’ll vote for him” that I think may lead to Peter winning again for a less than stellar season.

Currawong
Fookin' Sellsword
Fookin' Sellsword
Currawong
Fookin' Sellsword
Fookin' Sellsword

Sep 12th, '18, 00:02 #360

OTOH, maybe they will think along the lines of:  "Peter's already won two Emmys for GOT - does he really deserve a third one for this season?  Is he THAT good?   Or do we award someone else?"

And knowing that the final season is likely to be spectacular in so many respects, maybe they will decide to leave consideration of Peter until after S8, when he might have some far more meaty scenes.   They could award Nik now, as a tribute to his performances this season and also by implication the previous six, and that leaves room for Peter and the supposed 'big stars' after Season 8.    (I know she does her best and its not been easy to act in front of green screens for the dragon stuff, but I don't think Emilia deserves an Emmy unless they make the trophy out of petrified wood as a comment on ICE QUEEN dAEnaRYS's wide emotional range!!)
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a dam fool about it.
W.C.Fields

elvisglasses
Kingslayer
Kingslayer

Sep 12th, '18, 03:00 #361

I'm rooting for Nikolaj, of course, even though I don't think he has a great shot at winning this time. (Even though he really deserves it, and much more so than Peter for S7.) But even if he doesn't win . . . at least we'll get some NIK IN A TUX red carpet interviews and photos to help sustain us during the Long Night, right?????

I'm hoping for a big GOT showing -- do we think they'll have a big turnout again this year? I know it's an off year but a girl can hope. ; )

Mikki
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 12th, '18, 17:17 #362

LibKat, I’ve never understood the high praise of Lena. I get that many people see more in her than I do. I respect that. But I see about three facial expressions and four head positions. And I think “How hard is it to clench your jaw over and over? Where is the range?”

I chalk some of my negative thoughts on Lena up to rumors about her on the Terminator set. (Never piss off the production assistants, they talk.) So I try not to down talk her too much.

However, I think David Harbour is so so. I said it. And ST2 was TERRIBLE. I loved the first season but the second was practically a parody rather than being a homage . I say this as someone who had all of my teen years in the 80s. Millie Bobbie Brown also had about four facial expressions. She lost all the range from S1. Damn shame. 

I haven’t watched the Crown, so I can’t comment on Matt Smith. But Dinklage. *sigh* I do not find his brand of scenery chewing to be compelling. I hated his S4 trial monologue. I find him much more compelling in the quiet moments.

Emmy voting is always going to be political. Nik hasn’t done much pole dancing for the award at all this year. I think he’s just happy for the nomination. He’s fighting the “fantasy show” and “non US non British” actor Emmy bias. I truly don’t think he has a shot. I’d LOVE to be wrong on this one, but I’m not going to gnash my teeth if he doesn’t win. 

ballade
Cock Merchant
Cock Merchant
ballade
Cock Merchant
Cock Merchant

Sep 12th, '18, 18:09 #363

Curra, snerk! Emilia is really pretty and seems like a nice person but she’s a terrible actress; I described her expression at losing one of the dragons that she called her children as “mildly annoyed at the loss of a parking space so now she has to walk a few extra steps in a slight drizzle.” (Probably there is a word for this in German.)

Mikki, total agreement on Dinklage. He is phoning it in these days. And his best scene in Season 4 was with Pedro Pascal, which could just be because Pedro is awesomeness personified.

Mikki
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 12th, '18, 18:48 #364

Oh yes, that S4 scene with Pedro was gold. I think Dinklage elevates Clarke though. Working with her has got to be rough, but he made her better.

The rock bottom worst acted scene in the whole damn show was the Tyrion/Grey Worm/Missandei "more jokes" scene. Jacob Anderson is routinely terrible. And he was not terrible in Broadchurch. He was good. Nathalie Emmanuel, I've not seen her in anything else, but she was cringeworthy in that, and I could just feel Dinklage thinking, "Fuck it, just call it a wrap so I can be done with this shit."

Quinn
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 13th, '18, 02:46 #365

Mikki, I agree with everything you said. I have seen both seasons of The Crown, and Matt Smith IS a very nuanced and powerful actor. I wouldn't mind Nik losing to him, but just in terms of "deserving" and not the probable outcome of the vote, Nik is 2nd only to Smith. Harbour is a joke in S2. 
I write J/B fic: Ao3 / I re-blog other people's fandom pics: Tumblr

Erin
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 13th, '18, 22:08 #366

Trying to figure out who from GoT is all going, and wear they're seated. This is all I could find so far, but you can check here to see if I missed anyone:

https://www.shutterstock.com/editorial/ ... earch_form

Nikolaj, Peter, and Kit all in the same area:

Lena:

Emilia:

Tumblr: bearsofair

NamelessPasserby
Mario Lopez
Mario Lopez

Sep 13th, '18, 22:30 #367

Nathalie Emmanuel commented on her ig she's flying to LA this Sunday so I'm guessing she'll be there too. I don't think everyone else in the cast who is attending will get a seating name card, there's probably a general Game of Thrones area where the rest of the cast will sit.

FairladyZ2005
Engagement Sword Forger
Engagement Sword Forger
FairladyZ2005
Engagement Sword Forger
Engagement Sword Forger

Sep 13th, '18, 22:48 #368

Okay, I figured out what was confusing me. I know Emmys are TV and Oscars are movies, but I keep expecting them to both take place in the Spring for some reason. And while I know creative/technical awards can be so numerous they don't air those, also including the best guest actor (which Diana Riggs didn't win) threw me for a loop. I would have thought something like what being an acting award would have been saved for the 17th.

So maybe I will be watching the Emmys this year in the first time since I can remember, though these shows always go late and I have work early in the morning.
"Well, you know old stories are rather like old friends. Every once in a while you have to drop in on them, just to see how they're doing." GRRM, "Masques," Beauty and the Beast
Keep calm and J/B on!

LibKat
Shipper
Shipper

Sep 14th, '18, 00:16 #369

I think they hold the emmys in the fall because, in the olden days before cable, that was when the shows came back from the summer repeats and new shows debuted.  Timing was based on the old model of big three networks and new shows only in the fall.  If a show did well in the Emmys it could gain viewers in the new season.  Best example of that was the first season of Hill Street Blues.  Low viewership, barely got a second season pick up, then it won a buttload of Emmys and was top ten (I think) in the second season.  

Also whatever network has the Emmys will use it to promote the hell out of its fall premieres.

Mikki
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 14th, '18, 02:02 #370

Yes, the Emmys used to be all about drumming up viewers for the new fall seasons. TV has changed so much. However, the Emmys get to enjoy their own spotlight in the fall. The Oscars tend to overshadow everything.

timetravelingwritr
Half a God
Half a God

Sep 17th, '18, 01:45 #371

Just found this snippet on ew:

BUT THEY MISPELLED HIS NAME ARH. It made me a bit mad lol. Still, they're talking about nik :D
Screenshot_20180916-213718_Facebook.jpg

NamelessPasserby
Mario Lopez
Mario Lopez

Sep 17th, '18, 13:29 #372

Looks like GRRM will actually be at the Emmys this year:

So in total from the cast here's who we know will be attending so far:

Gwen
Nik
Kit
Emilia
Peter
Lena
Nathalie

Kittles123
Ser Cleos
Ser Cleos

Sep 17th, '18, 14:43 #373

I'm irrationally excited about seeing all the ladies' outfits. Emilia is always a wildcard for me, I either love or hate her outfits.  I liked Gwen and emilias gowns for GG this year (Gwen's more of course lol). Emilias had a nice back cut in the skirt part though. I'm mobile otherwise I would try to link some pics

ETA- also I'm stoked that GRRM is there?! Idk why, and I just feel like ncw could be the dark horse here

Erin
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 17th, '18, 16:31 #374

I think this might have been a pre Emmy thing? I like it.

Erin
Evenstar
Evenstar

Sep 17th, '18, 21:45 #375

Check Nik’s Instagram story! Nik and Nukaaka are on their way to the Emmy’s she looks NIK GLEEFULLY WEARING HIS TINY HAT! Nik’s suit, not my favorite.