Trailer Electric Brakes and Controller - question about stop lights

Five5
Five5

August 24th, 2017, 8:37 am #1

Hi. I have a Daily Cab Chassis with Three Way Tipper. Reasonably happy so far. I need to add an electric trailer brake controller to tow heavy trailers. I have selected a RedArc Tow Pro Elite controller which I have installed din other vehicles. Pretty standard setup, but as I have exhausted getting any useful information from Australia Iveco or dealer I have had to made some assumptions. The RedArc requires a 12v supply from the vehicle when the brake pedal is pressed, to activate the trailer brakes. The first assumption was the Daily is likely to have a brake pedal switch which is CANBUS, not a simple 12v on/off switch. It brake pedal switch had four wires into it, so I assume it was CANBUS and chose the second preferred option of taking the vehicle braking signal from the trailer plug. This triggered the trailer light fault indicator on the dash, which I expected was due to the RedArc also providing 12v to the trailer stop lights when it is activated manually, therefore some power was being fed back to the vehicles brake light circuit (the the trailer plug) and it did not like this. I added a diode to the vehicles brake light circuit (the the trailer plug) so no power from the RedArc can be passed back to the circuit, and this seems to resolve the dash error. All works ok so far.

But here is the question: Does the Iveco Daily have emergency braking flashing stop or indicator lights? If this was the case, as the stop light circuit is used to trigger the RedArd to brake the trailer, it would cause trailer brake pulsing along with the vehicle flashing any stop light.

Spooky_b329

August 26th, 2017, 8:07 am #2

On my 2012 model there is a bodybuilder socket tucked behind the glovebox/centre console. This socket provides various engine outputs and inputs, signals include handbrake/footbrake/reverse signals, engine off, ignition off, ignition live and inputs are things like cruise/rev up and down for PTO control etc.

This should give you a reliable footbrake signal rather than the brake lamps, which as you suggest, could flash when the ESP decides you are panic braking but have not stood on the brakes fully! (I don't know if they flash or if its just the hazards)

This document is for an earlier model still but will give you a starting point, and obviously you can identify pins with a multimeter etc.

http://ibb.iveco.com/Body%20Builder%20I ... %D0%B0.pdf

My van has some factory fit options that the dealer wired into the bodybuilder socket, and I've used it for a reverse signal/power as I could not get any sort of feed from the vehicle or factory fit towing looms, even with a relay to take a simple 12v feed from the towbar, the van knows something is up and illuminates the bulb failure warnings as it can see the current draw for the relay so assumes there should be a load for the road lights!

Edit: full directory here including countries and models including 4x4
http://ibb.iveco.com/Body%20Builder%20I ... ments.aspx

Five5
Five5

August 29th, 2017, 11:31 am #3

Hi Spooky_b329,

That's really helpful. Better (by far) information than I received form anyone at Iveco.

I've downloaded the docs to review and scratch about the truck and as you say, do some testing to get the correct output. Fantastic! I'll report back on how it goes.

Ivemech

August 30th, 2017, 11:21 am #4

Blue wire 1176 in the multi plug will give you a positive signal when the brake is applied, BUT it's only a signal. Anything more than half an amp (5w bulb) and it will put warning ligh's on the dash.
If you haven't found the plug, take the glove box out and it's normally cable tied to the right of the glove box.

Five5
Five5

September 1st, 2017, 7:44 am #5

Ivemech wrote:Blue wire 1176 in the multi plug will give you a positive signal when the brake is applied, BUT it's only a signal. Anything more than half an amp (5w bulb) and it will put warning ligh's on the dash.
If you haven't found the plug, take the glove box out and it's normally cable tied to the right of the glove box.
Thanks Ivemech.

Neat. Is that +12v on wire 1176?

Ivemech

September 1st, 2017, 10:35 am #6

Yes +12v when brake pedal applied.
Just check that there is NO back feed from what you fit (or fit a diode) as the computer will see this as a fault

Rosiebear

February 6th, 2018, 6:46 am #7

You could use 1176 to trigger a relay to run the brake controller. The other way to do it is fit a small bracket with a long arm microswitch from Jaycar to the brake pedal powering the brake controller, it is only a trigger wire so no serious load, I use a small twin core from the battery across the engine bay and drilled through the plastic filler where the clutch usually goes, it just has a 2a fuse in it at the battery end. The power for the caravan/trailer brakes themselves is a heavier cable running from the battery, through the controller then down to the towbar anderson plug for the van brake circuit.

GBXRS
GBXRS

May 3rd, 2018, 8:29 pm #8

Update for Daily Euro 6:

My vehicle was supplied with the trailer module & correct trailer socket fitted but no brake controller.

After an auto electrician used the trailer socket brake light wire as the trigger and caused error messages on the dash even with no trailer connected, I used the information supplied in this topic. Thanks to previous contributors.

Document link:
http://ibb.iveco.com/Body%20Builder%20I ... 34FD90B703}

The information in this topic is still correct for a 2017/18 Australian delivered Daily Euro 6:

The blue Body Builder socket is hard to find. Fig 2 on page 1 of the document didn’t help me.
Remove the torx head screws that mount the whole glovebox assembly & remove it.
Behind the dash, in towards the centre of the cab, a blue connector is hanging down. It has two rows of pins.
Find pin 3. See the 2nd & 3rd pages for the pinouts.
Test pin 3 output with key on & brake pedal pressed.
It's the blue wire, as discussed previously.

That should be the source for the signal to the brake controller & it must have a diode installed to prevent any back current and have load less than 500ma.