Eurocargo 2012 intermitant gearbox faults

garyrs200

August 29th, 2018, 9:22 pm #1

Hi I have a 2012 eurocargo tipper with 68,000km on it.Over the last two days it has an intermittent fault on the auto gearbox.Sometimes it works perfect then it wont change up gears automatically,so if I manually change gears up it does auto change back down.Anybody had similar problems or ideas what could be wrong .Thanks Gary.

kmbrad
kmbrad

September 10th, 2018, 2:56 pm #2

Hi Gary

My 2012 is starting to do the same.  Got the gearbox fault / failure symbol on display too (! in a gear).

Have you got any warning lights on?

garyrs200

September 13th, 2018, 6:57 pm #3

Hi since posting this 2 weeks ago the gearbox has been working ok,i also have an intermittent fault with rear right abs sensor air gap,when the abs light comes on the gearbox warning light also comes on (! in a gear) and the gearbox plays up.The abs system might be telling the gearbox there is a problem.

kmbrad
kmbrad

September 13th, 2018, 7:28 pm #4

That’s interesting. I’ve had an ABS fault for a while, mechanic diagnosed rear disc pulse ring fault (air gap). They look ok and fairly new. Can’t move sensors so have to take hubs off to knock them out to free (and change). Let me know how you get on.

Thankd

garyrs200

September 13th, 2018, 8:50 pm #5

I have a Delphi diagnostics set up that I bought of ebay that reads some of the faults.It says the air gap is too big on 2nd axle right side.On closer inspection I fond that the abs ring was very rusty so I cleaned it with a wire brush and half of the teeth were rusted away.I have now replaced the both of the rear discs and it now says it has no signal from right side,i have bought a new sensor,but cant get the old one out,so will have to take the disc back off over the weekend to get the old one out and hopefully that will clear this fault.At the moment I have more worrying problems with the engine smoking blue and burning oil under load,i myself and 3 other mechanics thought it was the turbo, so I bought a brand new one and fitted it,it was better for a few days but has now gone back like it was or worst so I don't know whats  wrong with it

kmbrad
kmbrad

September 20th, 2018, 3:37 pm #6

Hi Gary

Did you sort the ABS sensor?
I too have just bought the Delphi software and the right rear sensor is faulted in both ABS and gearbox sections.

My rear discs are like new and the rings on the back of the discs don’t look too bad so reluctant to change them, but like you sensors are seized so it will have to come to bits.

Cheers

Karl

garyrs200

September 20th, 2018, 6:32 pm #7

Hi Karl
I managed to get it sorted on Tuesday night.I had to take the new disc back off to get the old abs sensor out with a punch and clean up the hole and put a little grease in it.The new sensor is a good fit and can be moved with a grips.I gapped it at 1.5mm but this did not work I had to push the sensor all the way in until it was touching the phonic wheel The fault cleared within 20 meters and has been ok for 2 days with and without a 3ton load on it.The gearbox has been ok since with no fault lights coming on since changing the sensor so they must have a multi-function.I hate the auto box it doesn't suit the work that I do carrying aggregates in a hilly area,it often changes up the gear going up steep hills loaded,and if I use the exhaust brake it is very aggressive so don't bother with it.
good luck Gary

kmbrad
kmbrad

September 20th, 2018, 6:42 pm #8

Hi Gary

We’ll done mate. We to move aggregates around Bedfordshire, driver took a while to get used to the auto box but he’s used to it now. Our old 2004 cargo was always in the work shop so we got rid. You don’t find many manuals on the market now. Has yours got PTO tipping gear? Ours is electric but seems to work ok.

Cheers

garyrs200

September 20th, 2018, 7:09 pm #9

HaHa  you must have a clone of my lorry with all those same faults,mine also has electric tipping gear which goes up ok even when well overloaded,it takes ages to come back down.I am getting used to the autobox as well but it does do stupid things sometimes and also rolls back if you stop on a hill and pull off again without handbrake.I also had a 04 tector lorry that was perfect and I am now regretting selling it,only sold it because it was old and ugly.Also this new lorry is 300kg heavier than the old one and the old one had a better quality (britt tip body)new one is euro truck body and excessively rusty already,once I sort out my engine problems I will be looking for an aluminium body.

kmbrad
kmbrad

September 20th, 2018, 7:22 pm #10

My old one had a crack on chassis all the way across nearly near the rear spring hanger. They rot like a pig!

Don’t tell but we run 4 ton on ours standard, she takes it well 😉