Engine préparation to resist very low temp

September 5th, 2018, 7:20 pm #1

We plan to spend Winter in Finlandaise Lapland : -30° is expected sometime. Any advise on engine préparation to resist? We already have the pre-heating système on our 4×4 55w17 but what about oil ?any expérience is welcome !

marcustuck

September 9th, 2018, 8:55 pm #2

Hi Isabella,

Glad to see you are on the road :-) The 5W30 should be good down to -30C you could use 0W30 as this would be good to even lower temperatures.  There is also a thinner oil specification for the front and rear axles for cold weather.  Basically the same oil at the transfer gearbox (Axles and wheel hubs (each):- 3.2L, Tutela W140/M-DA, SAE 85W140, API GL 5 mineral based. For cold weather operation Tutela W90/M-DA, SAE 80W90, API GL 5 mineral based). There is also an optional heater for the crank case vent pipe, if fitted you should see it in the pipe running across the front of the engine, the heater is in this pipe just as the pipe goes around the corner of the block and down to the air inlet pipe (should be fairly easy to retro fit). I have found that the fuel heaters don't turn on, even when it is -18C! I don't know if this is a programming error or whether it is by design - that's not cold enough. I had to install some shorting links in place of the relays to get my heaters on once (bad diesel had waxed up the filters).  I have now installed a switch and indicator light so I can see if the ECU has switched them on and if not I can do it manually with the switch. The only other thing to check is that your radiator Coolant has a good enough mixture for the temperature you are going down to. Here is a link to my fuel heater switch modification http://www.tuckstruck.net/truck-and-kit ... er-heater/