brake issues

hobobill
hobobill

August 8th, 2018, 6:41 pm #1

can anyone explain the problems caused by the brake compsensater in relation to the park brake? thank you.

Cloverdale

August 8th, 2018, 9:20 pm #2

Hi. 

I noticed I had a problem where the compensator was very ascue and the handbrake lever in the cab had really long travel. On investigation I found the hand brake mechanism in he RH rear wheel had partially seized up. Not surprising in a way as the vehicle, my campervan, is stored outside and stationary most of the time.

Luckily I was able to free it up by working the mechanism (at the wheel) along with a SMALL amount of CRC. It took some time for the breakthrough but with perseverance I got there. When I got it free the compensator had centralised without any adjustment and the handbrake lever reverted to a normal stroke.

The problem did re-occur some months later but with the same actions, all is now good. I guess I was lucky the brake internals were not totally seized. As a 'home mechanic' of limited ability, I didn't fancy a complete stripdown, especially not knowing what I was doing.

Hope that helps

Alan L

hobobill
hobobill

August 15th, 2018, 12:51 am #3

Alan thank you for your suggestion. it is a learning curve for me, like you my expertise is limited. everything is working as it should, and yet the parkbrake refuses to hold. i was told to tie the compensater arm up. thats all i have left to try. frustrated,Hobobill

Cloverdale

August 15th, 2018, 1:15 am #4

Hi. I can only suggest that if when you've applied the hand brake, are all the cables tight? 

If so and the brake isn't holding, the problem must be in the disc brake assembly. When I had finished loosening up each brake (which took over an hour each side), I could manually move the lever at the disc assembly and that would stop me from rotating the disc manually, ie I had freed up the mechanism so that it applied AND released the brake properly.

At that point the cable equaliser hoop 'thingamejig' had automatically re-centralised and didn't need adjusting. The cab lever needed only 4 or 5 clicks to apply the brake.

Maybe, somewhere on this forum site there's a procedure or thread explaining how the strip the disc apart to remove the corrosion or whatever is seizing up the hand brake mechanism.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Good luck

Alan L

ivecofd

August 15th, 2018, 7:10 am #5

There's a load compensator - lots of info' on the internet re' how it works and how to set it up.
The load compensator restricts the fluid supply to the back brakes when the vehicle is empty.

The hand brake is by cables to the back brakes.  Lots of info' on the internet re' how they work and how to adjust them.

Try SEARCH which now seems to be the magnifying glass top rhs of page.  Also do goggle search.

Which vehicle do you have - ie 35C12?

When I park my tipper I leave it in gear and chock the wheels - leave the handbrake off.
Going down hill I put on the hand brake to remove the rust/debri that accumulates due to the back brakes not being used when the vehicle has no/little load in it.
The back brakes are not used when there is no/little load in the vehicle the load compensator restricts the fluid flow to the back brakes.

The back brakes on a camper may be in use most of the time due to the camper being loaded.  The amount of stuff in a camper can equal a load of a ton or whatever on a tipper.