4x4 conversion

All aspects of 4x4 ownership. For technical queries that are not specific to the 4x4, please post in the relevant technical section.

4x4 conversion

Bumpydog
Bumpydog

February 16th, 2018, 7:44 pm #1

Hi all, looking to see if converting a 2006-2010 2WD XLWB van (minibus) to 4x4 is a viable option? I am not over-concerned about raising suspension or fitting diff locks (for the time being). Short of finding a damaged 4x4 Daily (which would be ideal) does anyone have any suggestions as to what transfer box and front axle might be suitable?

marcustuck

February 18th, 2018, 12:20 pm #2

I saw that Bocklet (German motorhome manufacturer) did a conversion on a 'normal' Daily that had 4x4. Given German TUV requirements I guess there must be a company offering a 4x4 conversion on the standard 4x2 models. This could be a place to start investigating.

raphtor
raphtor

April 14th, 2018, 7:32 am #3

Hi,

In the German forum viermalvier.de there is an Austrian guy who converted a 2nd Gen long wheel base Daily 4x2 to 4x4, and he indicated it was not straight forward although he had two vehicles to make one - but to be honest this vehicle is completely different to the later Dailies, so not really helpful.

There is another Austrian guy (Wolfgang) with a Daily 3 4x4, but that turned out to be an inofficial prototype, possibly done by IVECO themselves. It was a hybrid between Gen 2 4x4 and Gen3. He has been posting here before.

I have recently seen a Gen 4/5 Daily panel wagon 4x4, which to the best of my knowledge was never made by IVECO and therefore must be a conversion, too. I have no idea how much effort this is though.

You might want to check if the well known 4x4 conversion companies Oberaigner and Iglhaut do a conversion kit.

Regards
Raphael

Iveco72461

April 14th, 2018, 9:02 pm #4

Hi,

the company that did or still does the 4x4 conversions is Achleitner
The Achleitner conversions are quite popular with the fire brigades here.

Chris

top drive

April 17th, 2018, 3:51 pm #5

not that im nae saying..... but what you needing the 4x4 for on the van model ?

Ground clearance/approach/departure angles scupper me before traction does - but ive got BFG all terrains on + a shovel and chains.

ITs been some fun places and rugged out a few stuck things.

mark hadley

April 21st, 2018, 6:23 pm #6

It really seems like a case of "well I would not start from here". As I understand it you are starting with a 2WD model for which a 4WD variant was never in production.

I have a 2nd generation model. On that the 4WD version has a unique front axle, engine sump and steering column. Not to mention the reduction box. Are you really up to tackling that?

In my experience off road capability is first: ground clearance, ( do fit bigger wheels and check low bits). Conduct sump guards. Second rear diff lock - is that an option for you?

graysworld

April 21st, 2018, 8:28 pm #7

I also have a 4wd and it is good. I would not convert a 2wd simply because I think it would be not cost effective. Most people in out the way places do not have 4wd. Big trucks in the UK that go onto building sites and on loose roads have rear difflocks. So I think as previous posters have said, ground clearance is important and you can get out of a lot of situations with a rear difflock or even snow chains. There are mk2 2wd Iveco dailys with factory difflocks but they are rare.

Graeme