Turnabout For Traitors.

Turnabout For Traitors.

May 27th, 2012, 7:53 pm #1

Turnabout For Traitors.

We know it's all pretend but do you think someone could really survive a knife to the back for so long without it being treated like Kelly did?

Also the ending interests me that it ends where the camrea fades out without any music at the end.

As odd of a question as it maybe, was it planned that way or was it cut off too soon?
Last edited by MIKEBENNIDICT on May 27th, 2012, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm #2

Turnabout For Traitors

Hello, Mike,

Well, I'm family practice not emergency medicine, but from a medical point of view, if the knife did not hit any major blood vessels, or organs aside from the lungs, yeah, it's realistic, kind of. The lung is not that big a deal to get injured, per se, if you do not burst a major vessel and have the risk of bleeding to death. Even if it collapses, it can be blown back up in the hospital (with some difficulty at times) and recover well. If Kelly didn't have injury to his lung, but just tissue damage without organ injury, and without intense bleeding, the biggest risk would be, of course, infection. I would imagine his fever and increasing pain, even with slight pressure, indicated he had developed an infection.

One of the most improbable aspects of his the knife wound is that it bled out in a concentric circle around the entrance point. That is, with gravity, and patients mostly upright when they are on the run, we rarely see wounds bleed UP and around the entrance point, in full nice circles. But, physicians get used to incredibly stupid Hollywood medical cliches, such as the bloodied bandage on the patient's head in their hospital bed as if the ED physician was too incompetent to stitch or close the wound properly. Let me state quite clearly-- It's bad form to have your treated patient still bleeding through bandages once they are in their hospital room!

I Spy is pretty realistic in many ways and oftentimes medically so. I remember in the episode "Blackout" in the bar fight, Kelly's head hits against the wall and he yells out a very realistic "OW!" as a result. I just loved that. The characters are so much more human when they respond as typical humans. Heads against walls HURT.

Mona

May 29th, 2012, 5:09 pm #3

Re: Turnabout For Traitors

Thanks for making me laugh, Mona. I never really thought about the bloody bandage business; sometimes it takes a pro to point out the obvious.

Regards--

Regards—