The Consummate Culp - Spectre

September 30th, 2011, 11:45 pm #1

The latest cap 'n yap at the Consummate Culp is for Spectre from 1977.

http://theconsummateculp.com/2011/09/spectre/

I enjoyed this one back when I first saw it a couple of years ago on YouTube and it's still good even after repeated viewings.

Regular vistors know that my recaps contain spoilers, so any program that I talk about that you haven't seen yet - well, you've been warned.

October 1st, 2011, 3:58 am #2

More on SPECTRE ...

Loved it, Lisa!! A spectacular SPECTRE review ....

Besides adoring ALL of those super screen caps, and your great "asides" , I really enjoyed all the research and the information you added at the end.

I'm assuming you viewed the "cleaned-up" American version of SPECTRE. The copy I purchased from eBay eons ago, must have been the version released in Europe, where SPECTRE was released as a feature film. To spice things up in that version, a few scenes were added. The scene with the orgy/party/demon-get-together at the end included several ladies who apparently couldn't stand the heat, so they removed all their clothes. I don't know if the European audiences appreciated the film more because of this, but it didn't do much for me.
I agree with you completely that this final demon scene was poorly costumed and very "fakey" ...
though Bob in that black robe with golden feathers sure did help things along.

And I also agree with you that after a great deal of sophistication throughout with all the special effects,
that Green Monster that Asmodeus turns into at the end was a huge tacky disappointment.

What made it even worse was that he looked a LOT like "Cecil" the sea monster from Beany & Cecil
... who forgot his contacts and was just having a bad morning.

And here are a few things you (and other SPECTRE fans) might be interested in checking out ....

In 1977, there was a magazine/newsletter put out trying to convince NBC to make
SPECTRE a series. You'll need to zoom in on the pages, but they are readable.

http://volcanoseven.com/TheThunderChild ... ectre.html

... and here is a FORUM posting from 2009 that includes some photos of the intricate make-up used
and some other information and photos.

AND it ALSO includes the entire SPECTRE movie (now that you have wetted our appetites).

Amazingly it is still embedded in the post
(and amazingly that it is still up on YOU TUBE after all this time!! )

Here's the link:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/172251/m ... 254713646/

Thanks Lisa for a wonderful review and all those great screen caps.

Here's to you, Lisa!
(and you are right, he does look great in black.)

~ ~ ~ ~ All my best,

~ ~ ~ ~ Tatia

~ ~ ~ ~

Last edited by tatialoringnw on October 1st, 2011, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 1st, 2011, 6:21 pm #3

Re: More on SPECTRE ...

Glad you enjoyed it!

Oh man, that Beany & Cecil thing just kills me. But yes, that green monster was SUCH a let down! I think they knew it was bad too because they tried to hide it behind all the fire.

Great find with that newsletter/desperate plea to NBC for Spectre to be a series. I see they have the green monster there too (and just as bad looking).

Actually, I believe I may have the European verson as it does contain some partial nudity (a few flashes of breasts) during the demon shindig. I didn't mention the nudity in my overview because...well, it didn't come as a surprise, honestly. LOL What I should have mentioned though was the little old lady!!! ROFL They really had an ecletic group of folks in that hoedown.

There was one screen cap that I didn't include in the collection because I was inspired to make it into a desktop wallpaper (which I posted previously at the site).

October 1st, 2011, 8:26 pm #4

Spectre Review

I have to agree with Tatia that this is a "consummate" review of Spectre. I agree with the comments, that it was very enjoyable but kind of fell apart at the end with the goofy special effects. Also, I never understand why a demon wouldn't just kill Sebastian by sneaking up behind him, leaving the magic alone so Sebastian wouldn't sense anything, and hitting Sebastian's head hard with a blunt object. I never get why bad guys let those out to destroy them hang around their lair, progress in their investigation and then cause serious trouble for them. It's the old "Bond phenomenon" and if I had been Asmodeus, yeah, Sebastian would not have made it out of my house. However, since the demon stuck with using magic (maybe he is programmed to only do evil through magic, which makes sense), luckily, Sebastian knew some chants and things which can work against the demon's doings.

The little creature at the end looks like a mix of the two poor special effects done in TGAH--the sea monster and the electric monster.

I can get tired by the sidekick never believing ANY real aspect of what is happening, (Really, Scully? After MANY Seasons you STILL don't believe in supernatural/alien things? Really?) so was happy when Hamm finally got corralled into believing magic existed at the end.

All in all, an easy, enjoyable way to spend an hour or two! And Culp does look lean and handsome!

Mona

October 1st, 2011, 8:43 pm #5

Re: More on SPECTRE ...

I have a copy of Spectre (the European version!) which I haven't watched in a while, but I thought it was very good. The green monster actually reminded me of that representative of the Gorn race from the Star Trek episode Arena.

The Gene Roddenberry connection makes it a natural association. I never thought of Cecil the Seasick Sea Serpent, but I'm just as happy to go with that.

Jimmy

October 1st, 2011, 11:52 pm #6

Good Find

You're right, Jimmy! The Gorn alien does seem related to Spectre's Asmodeus.

Mona

October 2nd, 2011, 7:17 am #7

SPECTRE the novel

More accurately the novelization.

A related post from 2007:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/172251/t ... bert+Culp-

October 2nd, 2011, 6:55 pm #8

SPECTRE Fans - Got $1319 ... ????

Thanks Mr. Tiger for reminding us of the SPECTRE novelization connection (and nice to know you are still out there. )

While checking out the link John posted, I ran across something I totally forgot ... and the SPECTRE jackpot in this case!!!

In the different postings in that SPECTRE thread was a link to the "PROP STORE" which is in both London and L.A.
And among the items available at the London location is a set of SPECTRE masks and some photos and papers ...
including our now beloved Green Monster head.

This is listed as a "LIZARD HEAD" and it certainly looks like he is sporting a red bowtie in this photo.

Now I was swayed by Jimmy's GORN Monster suggestion, and he was wearing some sort of red ascot neck thing-ee ....
BUT to carry off this red bowtie look on any Hollywood Red Carpet , I think my vote still goes to CECIL the Sea Monster.

To check out all the SPECTRE items included in this "deal," go to

http://www.propstore.com/product-Lizard ... rk-Set.htm

And for a mere $1319 (or £995), you can add all this to your collection

... now of course, IF it was Robert's black cape that was available ... ???

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ As always,

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Tatia

~ ~ ~ ~

October 2nd, 2011, 8:07 pm #9

Re: SPECTRE Fans - Got $1319 ... ????

I checked that link too and found the Spectre stuff (and fell out of my chair at the price LOL). Although the cape isn't there (dang!) there is a hand written note from Culp, can't tell who it's to tho'. He does say at the end that he'll miss his morning tea.

October 7th, 2011, 12:03 am #10

Supernatural Culp!

I found that one on YouTube and enjoyed it mightily. Mona, you were wondering why Asmodeus would go to such lengths to get Sebastian; I think it's just as he himself says: The demon knew Geoffrey wouldn't be able to give Asmodeus the sacrifice (Anitra), so it needed Sebastian there. And, then, well... I think the other events were just to let Sebastian know that, yes, Asmodeus hadn't forgotten him.

I marvel at the way Robert Culp always fits so well into any cast. Spectre is the only exception I've seen. I think it's due to Gig Young, just one year away from the end of his career and his life. You watch Robert Culp with any other actor playing his friend, and you believe it. Young, though, just doesn't ring true. In the initial scene, when they're talking in the living room, I think Young forgot his line momentarily, which caused Robert Culp to have to improvise with his facial expressions (since he didn't have any lines at that particular point).

As has already been mentioned on this forum, it looks as if Young had been imbibing rather freely on the set; it is true that, just like his character, he had a serious drinking problem (but without a Lilith to set it straight).

It's really a shame, because they should have fit well together, given Robert Culp's talent, but they don't. He made it the best it could be; what really fascinates me is that you see him interacting with the equally brilliant John Hurt just a year before Hurt earned his first Oscar nomination as the drug-addicted prisoner Max in Midnight Express.

As always, Lisa, thanks for all your good work!