Moderator: Eastern Nat

New Look but Lazy Journalism

July 9th, 2018, 2:22 pm #1

An extremely lazy article, from the National Broadcaster

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/070 ... -new-look/

Dublin Bus DID NOT unveil a new look ahead of new service in September. It was Lord Ross and the NTA.

"The routes are for bus numbers 175,..............." It is actually the other way around!

July 9th, 2018, 2:36 pm #2

Lol. The article contradicts itself too. It first sates the 175 will begin on the 9th of September then further down - "The routes are for bus numbers 175, 45A, 75,184, 63,185,111, and 59, starting 7 October".

July 9th, 2018, 10:44 pm #3

You read it wrong, the way I read it is Dublin buses not Bus, important difference.  Article is better than what the IT or others would write.  

July 9th, 2018, 11:06 pm #4

Redstarcastles wrote: You read it wrong, the way I read it is Dublin buses not Bus, important difference.  Article is better than what the IT or others would write.  
It said Dublin Bus earlier in the headline but has been changed. 

July 9th, 2018, 11:28 pm #5

As with many articles of late they have been frustrating and annoying to read.

Is it not a bit cringy the owner of the company that lost the tender to operate its own routes seems to be celebrating with the winning company.... Things like that are what makes the unions distrust the minister and government intentions towards privatization.

‘All the new routes’ ‘the remaining 23 will then be introduced’ This makes it sound as if a load of new routes are being created which is very misleading.

The minister noting that some privatization benefitted passengers. If Dublin Bus won the tender would could he say? Are the people in Waterford worse off given they are stuck with the incumbent?

Still can’t see how the figures add up. They invested €8.5m if their own money. Dublin Bus only made a profit of €1m on 100% of the network last year due to caps on profits. How on 10% of the network can GA make back €8.5m over 5 years and earn an actual profit on top of that...

Also almost a year on from the tendering no mention whatsoever of all the new business Dublin Bus will have to replace the lost routes. No announcements regarding specific frequency improvements, new routes, night services etc. There have been announcements and reannouncments on many other issues. I remain suspicious that it will not materialise and DB will be forced to downsize, but would only be delighted to be incorrect on this.

July 21st, 2018, 12:52 am #6

I agree SL, however DB currently recruiting drivers,and that is on top of the drivers that will be surplus in Oct when they are given their 10% P45 s.There are plans ,but we as drivers as usual,are told absolutely nothing. It is extremely frustrating the way we are being treated...sorry for rant....

July 23rd, 2018, 11:00 pm #7

236th wrote: I agree SL, however DB currently recruiting drivers,and that is on top of the drivers that will be surplus in Oct when they are given their 10% P45 s.There are plans ,but we as drivers as usual,are told absolutely nothing. It is extremely frustrating the way we are being treated...sorry for rant....
Don't apologise at all. Frustrating time for all as the NTA pursues its ambitions.

July 23rd, 2018, 11:18 pm #8

236th wrote: I agree SL, however DB currently recruiting drivers,and that is on top of the drivers that will be surplus in Oct when they are given their 10% P45 s.There are plans ,but we as drivers as usual,are told absolutely nothing. It is extremely frustrating the way we are being treated...sorry for rant....
There shouldn't be any surplus drivers, all the buses so far this year were to release buses for GoAhead, then there will be more new buses later on in the year but these are to replace older buses.

But the existing services are meant to be enhanced so that means drivers will still get to be 'marked in' just on different routes to before (which I appreciate is frustrating in and of itself).

July 24th, 2018, 11:16 am #9

There are union news and rumours floating around regarding new marked-in blocks on existing routes, as well as transfers of routes between various garages in the last quarter of the year. I'm not sure how much I should say, but there could be up to 60 new marked-in positions placed in one of the garages.

Regardless, the current marking scheme is not flexible enough to begin with. It only works in multiples of four duties, so if you have an eighteen-duty bill (bogies aside, they're a different story), you can have sixteen marked-in duties worked by twenty men and two spare duties worked by the spare crowd. Not the best thing to work with, is it? I've seen rotas in the UK (across a number of operators) that adapt the number of rota lines to the number of duties available, and not the number of duties worked to the number of lines available as is the case in Dublin Bus.