Moderator: Eastern Nat

Ireland & Islands Bus Handbook

December 30th, 2010, 3:15 pm #1

Has anyone purchased this British Bus Publications book?  I have the first edition and was wondering if the second edition is worth buying?
Tony

December 30th, 2010, 5:05 pm #2

Purchased this book some time ago having got Volume 1 some years ago. Nicely presented little book but frankly thats where it ends. Have only had a detailed look at the Northern Ireland operators and frankly a lot of the information contained is rubbish. Claims to be right up to date and indeed includes the latest vehicles. On the other hand several vehicles are missed out altogether and there is one batch of Ulsterbus vehicles included the last of which was sold/scrapped two years ago. The same can be applied to the private operators section. A lot of the information regarding Logan's of Dunloy and Lough Swilly (just to give two examples) is rubbish. Not sure where they got their information from but I would doubt there is much if any local input into this book. On the basis of my quick check through several of my local operators, I have no reason to doubt the information on the Republic of Ireland fleets is equally dubious.
When the first volume was published several years ago, a late friend of mine was approached about assisting with the book. Several of us offered our services at the time buts that the last we ever heard about it. Volume 1 contained many mistakes but it looks like Volume 2 is even worse. Nobody is perfect and I know that myself from having been involved in several books but I cannot honestly recommend this book.

December 30th, 2010, 11:50 pm #3

I would like to purchase that book, any idea's where i could get my hands on it? Would it be in Eason's or in Mark's Model's or would you have to send away for it? And would any of you have an address (email or postal) if i need to send away for it? Cheers

December 31st, 2010, 4:41 pm #4

i have the origianal plus the seperate book that was published on cie fleets but will pick this up to find out how many mistakes are in the irish section

vc if you ask mark he will get it for you

January 17th, 2011, 11:39 am #5

Looking through this book the other day and noticed errors on the Luas page where it says the Luas trams are of two different lengths but each have sections. It has the 30xx as 30m even though they've been 40m for a number of years now and the 40xx as the correct 40m. Don't recall any mention in the book of the 50xx. It is not very up to date or accurate in that respect.
Exploring the routes of Dublin Bus: Off The Beaten Track