Moderator: Eastern Nat

10:08 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #931

Absolutely the AM’s are junk but they are on the way out anyway and the streetlites aren’t a huge step forward either. And the VWL’s are far superior.

10:31 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #932

True, but Wrights only make them in small numbers now, Lothian and Delaine have bought them.  The Streetlite is here to stay.  

11:09 PM - Oct 10, 2018 #933

Exactly, and these days only the 604 and 605 has AMs, they use VWLs on the 602 now and sometimes the 604 gets them.

So in reality, the vast majority of customers in Waterford are getting worse buses despite them being 11 years newer. I don't dispute the fact that the StreetLites are a big upgrade on the AMs - but they're no VWL. 

With these being among the last ever PSO buses to be diesel only (along with the batch of SGs in delivery with DB, plus another 100 or so buses next year) it will be interesting to see what single decks come next. Non diesel only options on the single deck front are very limited to say the least, although they do a hybrid StreetLite now.

I don't have a problem with a uniform PSO livery, I do have a problem with this one, while it looks a lot better in the flesh compared to the photos, it's still a fairly poor effort. The Bus Éireann livery the VWLs and AMs have is far nicer. 

Standardising spec to make transfers easier is slightly pie in the sky given that BÉ will be operating all of its current PSO urban services until at least 2024 and we know that Dublin Bus will be retaining all of its routes until then as well. Also by necessity the specs will have to be different between Dublin and the rest of the country as things like bonded glazing are simply not practical in a city the size of Dublin, and obviously they need autofare so around the driver's cab is going to be different too no matter what.

I would think the new livery and interior colour scheme will be rolled out over time, I guess it will be part of the conditions of the direct awards for both BÉ and DB that there will be more integration and TFI branding everywhere.

7:39 AM - Oct 11, 2018 #934

The Eclipse is essentially a dead product in the competitive marketplace.

The running costs and fuel costs and weight of these make them prohibitive to operate compared to a Streetlite or Enviro 200, and honestly with the way Wright are pricing them to discourage purchases, that further makes them unattractive. 

11:41 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #935

Well with the NTA centralising purchases it is buying very large quantities of buses and I would think manufacturers would be amenable to their requests. If an organization like the NTA does not have buying power I don’t know who has.

Alternatively you also have options like the Citaro. The 2016 Bus Éireann examples were a great buy and actually a better build than the VWL’s.

Also as VWL has most correctly pointed out and a point I had forgotten in relation to standardizing buses - the new BE Gemini 3’s (VWD401-425) are indeed very different to what DB & GAI are getting. So not much standardising there and the double deck city bus is surely the NTA’s biggest purchase.

VWL - on Waterford, none of the routes actually require midi buses now. Full size single decks can operate all routes. There is in fact some bewilderment there as to why they are getting so many smaller Streetlites.

Cant remember if I mentioned it previously but the most fascinating thing about the Waterford VWL’s is the mileage difference, VWL145 has over 1m while I think 152 has 370k! I safely would say Waterford has both the lowest and highest mileage VWL’s.
Last edited by SL10 on 11:48 PM - Oct 11, 2018, edited 1 time in total.

11:46 PM - Oct 11, 2018 #936

I still haven't been on one of the MC300s, but something like that would always get my vote over light weight nonsense like the StreetLites. There is no comparison between the quality, comfort, performance and longevity of a proper heavy weight bus and a light weight tin can one like a StreetLite.

Yes they are somewhat heavier on fuel, but it's a price well worth paying in my opinion.

Did I hear a rumour that there will be some sort of demo buses in Cork early next year as part of the NTA evaluation of non diesel only buses?

Any idea when we can expect to see service improvements in Cork?

7:07 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #937

VWD422 is now in service and I have posted a picture of her.

8:11 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #938

and VWD417 too!

So only 418, 423, 424 and 425 are unaccounted for now.

Bizarrely, I saw VWL180 on the 302 (Busy route, serving a college, Friday)

8:34 AM - Oct 12, 2018 #939

VWD90 has been delivered to Cork so think that would explain why you didn’t see it today!

2:17 PM - Oct 12, 2018 #940

SL10 wrote: VWD90 has been delivered to Cork so think that would explain why you didn’t see it today!
Well wear! 

VWD90 in my experience is probably the finest of the excellent VWD86-92 batch. 

She always sounded good and looked very clean when in Limerick.