Charlestown, Boston

Married to a townie
Married to a townie

March 27th, 2006, 7:52 pm #11

Arthur "Butchy" Doe Jr. was an Irish-American mobster from Charlestown, Massachusetts. He is remembered for his harrowing escapes. His father was Arthur Doe, Sr. who was killed in the late 1960's in Boston.
"Butchy" Doe is about to be locked up for beating his girlfriend and mother of his one year old. I guess she found out he has been secretly married for 1 year and a half!

Brian O'Neil
Brian O'Neil

March 27th, 2006, 8:08 pm #12

Whats going on in Charlestown and Southie these days?
Any information on Robert O'Neil from Charlestown...Lawrence Street. Died in the early 80's... Known to be connected to "Shakey" Dowd from Main st.
Also, any info on the murder of my brother Shawn O'Neil would be great. He was murdered in 1987.

joseph obrien
joseph obrien

August 3rd, 2006, 5:41 pm #13

... the code is still alive
I was a hoodlum in Southie alternating w/ Worcester. I now reside in Houston,Tx. I like to think that nothin's changed,but I know thats not true.When I was growin up the code was very real,but changed, not slowly,all of a sudden everyones talking.The code of silence for me was not taught but engraved in my character. The neighborhood of Southie was(sadly no more)an enigma; a piece of another country trapped in an enclave. A predominate Irish town that handles, helps, protects their own, and punishes their own.It may have been violent at times,but it WAS MY neighborhood.Now I dont even recognize it.SO KEEP THE CODE ALIVE!!!

November 30th, 2006, 5:44 pm #14

Any information on Robert O'Neil from Charlestown...Lawrence Street. Died in the early 80's... Known to be connected to "Shakey" Dowd from Main st.
Also, any info on the murder of my brother Shawn O'Neil would be great. He was murdered in 1987.
New pictures added on 30/9/06

related to butchy
related to butchy

October 20th, 2007, 10:48 pm #15

"Butchy" Doe is about to be locked up for beating his girlfriend and mother of his one year old. I guess she found out he has been secretly married for 1 year and a half!
You might wanna be careful what you post! i'm related to him and that is not why he beat her up--she's a rat and butchy isn't married asshole!

November 15th, 2007, 12:42 am #16

The Boston Irish Mob Wars started in the early 1960's, when according to Vincent Teresa in My Life in the Mafia, George McLaughlin (of "The McLaughlin Brothers" gang of Charlestown, Massachusetts), while drunk, apparently groped the breast of the girlfriend of Alex Rocco, a member of "The Winter Hill Gang" of Somerville, Massachusetts. This sparked the Irish Gang Wars that resulted in the deaths of over forty hoodlums from both sides. That includes “Winter Hill Gang” Leader James "Buddy" McLean, Edward "Punchy" McLaughlin, and Bernard McLaughlin.
Irish, I've been looking for "Vincent Teresa in My Life in the Mafia" It is a very rare book. Any suggestions?

November 15th, 2007, 11:47 am #17

Boston2LA, Amazon appear to be selling it:

http://www.amazon.com/Life-Mafia-Vincen ... 658&sr=8-2

Good luck!

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 26th, 2008, 12:50 am #18

New pictures added on 30/9/06
WHATS UP WITH RALPH VERRILL AKA JERRY IRISH MURPHY CODE OF SILENCE HE'S IN PRISON NOW FOR OVER 30 YEARS STRAIGHT.

jimmy dwyer
jimmy dwyer

April 27th, 2008, 2:48 pm #19

Here's some background information on Charlestown;

CHARLESTOWN "CODE OF SILENCE"

On a summer night in 1992, George Sargent, 43, was shot to death outside a pizza parlor in Charlestown, Massachusetts. A few days earlier, he had provided information to police concerning criminal dealings in the neighborhood. As he lay dead on the sidewalk, no one called the police, and no one admitted to seeing the shooting. This startling response to the murder had become typical in Charlestown, a small community in North Boston. Members of the community were unwilling to share information that would facilitate homicide investigations because of their reliance on vigilante justice, fear of retaliation by criminals, and anti-police sentiment.

This unspoken “code of silence” made homicide investigations extremely difficult. Between 1975 and 1992, Charlestown experienced 49 murders, 33 of which were not solved. The community was being overrun by the “Irish Mob,” a group of violent career criminals who ran a major PCP and cocaine distribution center. Because intimidated citizens upheld the code of silence, these drug traffickers were able to operate with virtual impunity.

When it became clear that drugs were a large part of Charlestown’s crime problem, the DEA got involved and joined forces with the Massachusetts State Police, Boston Police Department, and the Boston Housing Police Department. DEA agents and local officers worked together to gather intelligence and establish a comprehensive case against the criminals in the neighborhood. In order to find informants critical to solving both drug and murder cases, agents arranged to protect any witnesses who agreed to testify against the Charlestown criminals. As a result of three years of extensive investigations in Charlestown, by July 1994, 40 defendants were indicted on charges that included racketeering, murder, attempted murder, conspiracy to distribute cocaine, and armed robbery. One indictment charged that two of the defendants paid hired killers $5,000 to murder those they believed were encroaching on their turf. Once violent criminals such as these were removed from the Charlestown community, the threat of retaliation disappeared and the code of silence was broken. A hotline set up by the DEA yielded hundreds of calls from community residents that resulted in valuable leads and more significant arrests.

One reason for the success of the Charlestown investigation is that it was a collaborative effort that used the resources and talents of many law enforcement agencies. In addition to aligning with the state and local police, the DEA Boston Division also worked on the Charlestown investigation with the U.S. Attorney’s Office; the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office; the FBI; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms; the Special Investigations Unit of the Massachusetts Department of Corrections; and the U.S. Marshals Service.
when my grandparents got off the boat they lived in charlestown then moved to medford. my cousinns the sheas still live there. where can i buy these townie movies. i remember playing cowboys and indians at the monument and swimming at the boys club with my cousin john o/neil. thanks, jim dwyer

jim dwyer
jim dwyer

June 27th, 2008, 3:15 pm #20

WHATS UP WITH RALPH VERRILL AKA JERRY IRISH MURPHY CODE OF SILENCE HE'S IN PRISON NOW FOR OVER 30 YEARS STRAIGHT.
how many dwyers were there in the charlestown thanks, jim dwyer